27 inch monitors

lostforever

SasqWatch
Currently I am on 24 inch 1k monitor but I want to get 27 inch monitor and my budget is £250 or less. Ideally I want to get 2k monitors but they seems to cost £280+. However I am seeing 4k monitors for around £250 and bit tempted! My graphics card is GTX 770 so I know it’s not really good for 4k games. So here are my questions,

1. Anyone know good 2K monitor for less than £250?
2. How does games looks on 4k monitor if I reduce the resolution of the game down to say 2k and 1k? This is so that I don’t have to upgrade my graphics card.

I don't have any particular recommendations, but I would avoid the 4K monitors for now, especially the lower-end ones. I don't personally think 4K gaming is quite ready for primetime, and I doubt there's much to be gained by being an early adopter. In another couple of years they will be better, cheaper, with G-sync as standard, and with GPUs that can drive them properly.

I'm an early adopter of 4k gaming, and it most certainly is a viable choice right now. The GTX 970 can play pretty much any game out right now in 4k resolution. I'm currently tinkering with a heavily-modded Oblivion, including texture packs, ENB and so on. Playing it in 4k res at 60 FPS is a beautiful, beautiful thing.

The resolution on these TVs is amazing. Incredibly detailed and crisp. 4k's primetime is right around the corner, but it's nice now to get in on the ground level. For $1000 you can buy a high quality 4k monitor right now. The Samsung models with UHD color and 120hz motionblur are phenomenal for the price.

And everything will look better on a 4k monitor, including 1080p videos. However, once you compare 4k resolution to standard 1080p, you will notice the 1080p's flaws big time.

Also, make sure you have a good enough internet connection to stream 4k videos from YouTube and what not. Then perhaps just upgrade to a GTX 970 and you'll be 4k gaming in no time. :)

spock-looking-shocked.jpg

I'm an early adopter of 4k gaming, and it most certainly is a viable choice right now. The GTX 970 can play pretty much any game out right now in 4k resolution.

you must have the most amazing gtx 970 ever created. a single titan x can't even achieve an average of 60 FPS at 4k in most games out.

Looking at benches around the web the gtx 970 will get you about 20-25 FPS in most modern games.

The only viable 4k single cards are the titan x and 980ti and they won't get you 60 FPS.

I have to sli 2 titans to get 60 FPS in the witcher 3 at 3440X1440 which isn't even 4k.

Gamebryo engine has always been more cpu-bound than gpu-limited... unless you pile on the texture packs.

Re: OP, just save up for a nice quality 30".

Gamebryo engine has always been more cpu-bound than gpu-limited… unless you pile on the texture packs.

Re: OP, just save up for a nice quality 30".

The 30" I have seen are quite big compared to the 27" and desk space becomes an issue at that point :(

I'm an early adopter of 4k gaming, and it most certainly is a viable choice right now. The GTX 970 can play pretty much any game out right now in 4k resolution. I'm currently tinkering with a heavily-modded Oblivion, including texture packs, ENB and so on. Playing it in 4k res at 60 FPS is a beautiful, beautiful thing.

The resolution on these TVs is amazing. Incredibly detailed and crisp. 4k's primetime is right around the corner, but it's nice now to get in on the ground level. For $1000 you can buy a high quality 4k monitor right now. The Samsung models with UHD color and 120hz motionblur are phenomenal for the price.

And everything will look better on a 4k monitor, including 1080p videos. However, once you compare 4k resolution to standard 1080p, you will notice the 1080p's flaws big time.

Also, make sure you have a good enough internet connection to stream 4k videos from YouTube and what not. Then perhaps just upgrade to a GTX 970 and you'll be 4k gaming in no time. :)

What is the 4K monitor you are using pls? Also are you playing any modern (1 year old) 3d games on it?

I don't think Fluent is on the site anymore. He got pissed off in a thread and said he was leaving.

He has said that probably 10 times now and is generally back within an hour or two. Even if he lasts a few days away this time, I'm willing to bet he will be back.

He has said that probably 10 times now and is generally back within an hour or two. Even if he lasts a few days away this time, I'm willing to bet he will be back.

Where else should he post his great let's play videos, pleas, bragging about his top of the line hardware that can run anything in 4k and so on ?

I didn't say I was leaving just yet, I was considering it. And no, I haven't said it 10 times and came back. I have been thinking about leaving for good for awhile now, but it's hard because I do love the site and some of the people who post here. The rest of you can go swim in a lake. :)

At least my ignore list is growing considerably, so a few of you will make it there soon enough rather than me just leaving completely. But I'm still thinking about it regardless.

Anywho, my monitor is this one. > http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN48JU6700-Curved-48-Inch-Ultra/dp/B00T48CWAK

I've tested Pillars of Eternity, Oblivion fully modded with many graphics enhancements, Elminage Gothic, Valkyria Chronicles and a few others I can't remember. They all played at 60 FPS in 4k resolution. I'm sure there's many more that would, too. For games like Witcher 3 you'd probably have to turn down some graphical settings, but it would be playable in 4k.

Last edited:
I didn't say I was leaving just yet, I was considering it. And no, I haven't said it 10 times and came back. I have been thinking about leaving for good for awhile now, but it's hard because I do love the site and some of the people who post here. The rest of you can go swim in a lake. :)

At least my ignore list is growing considerably, so a few of you will make it there soon enough rather than me just leaving completely. But I'm still thinking about it regardless.

Anywho, my monitor is this one. > http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN48JU6700-Curved-48-Inch-Ultra/dp/B00T48CWAK

I've tested Pillars of Eternity, Oblivion fully modded with many graphics enhancements, Elminage Gothic, Valkyria Chronicles and a few others I can't remember. They all played at 60 FPS in 4k resolution. I'm sure there's many more that would, too. For games like Witcher 3 you'd probably have to turn down some graphical settings, but it would be playable in 4k.

Hmm that's TV screen. Does games looks good on it? I too have 4K TV but I was always under the impression they are not good for games so never never bothered to try. Also I am too lazy to bring the PC down to the living room!

Anyway all the games you mentioned are sort of "old" and not really power hunger so they might look nice but I *think* 970 gtx will struggle to play say game like Witcher 3 at 4k even at medium setting.

The games look *great* on the 4k display in 4k resolution. The colors alone are amazing, as the TV has UHD, which is Ultra High Def colors, in 4:4:4. So, everything looks beautiful on it.

I have a feeling that Witcher 3 can run fine in 4k with a GTX 970. Here's someone who tried it with success - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b98J0NOmeuY.

I think the GTX 970 can run every game in 4k, but a few more intensive ones may need to use lower quality settings. But if the Witcher 3 can be done in 4k, you can bet that most other games most likely will be fine as well.

I haven't had an issue yet, and I'm very satisfied with the card. Don't forget you can overclock as well if the need ever comes up.

On a sidenote. Is it worth upgrading from a 22 inch Samsung T220? I've had it like 6 years but the size feels natural and doesn't scare of visitors (girls). But maybe the quality can be improved a lot by gaining a new one? Or is it better to just save the money for a GPU update or a couple of restaurant visits? :)

On a sidenote. Is it worth upgrading from a 22 inch Samsung T220? I've had it like 6 years but the size feels natural and doesn't scare of visitors (girls). But maybe the quality can be improved a lot by gaining a new one? Or is it better to just save the money for a GPU update or a couple of restaurant visits? :)

It's a bit of an aside, but I got myself a projector instead of a TV, and I love gaming on it. 4k isn't really an issue, because 1080p is perfect at the proper screen size and distance. Visitors are also quite pleased to watch movies on it!

EDIT: Good graph that shows at what screen size and distance the various resolutions are perceptible to the eye. The benefit is that you can have a large screen size, but with 1080p performance, because 4k becomes irrelevant.

resolution_chart.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom