Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods - Developer Revealed

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
JoWooD used the start of the Games Convention in Leipzig to reveal the developer responsible for Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods. It´s the Indian company Trine Game Studios. They´re also working on the next The Guild product.
G3: Forsaken Gods will be a stand-alone add-on based on Gothic 3 technology. The story is written by Spellbound to ensure a smooth transition to Gothic 4.
More information.

Gothic goes Bollywood :end:

No, seriously, this outsourcing lets me put higher hopes on RISEN, even tho' they might have less backing and a smaller team. If they master the technical side of the game, they might go back to the roots and deliver another Gothic. :fingerscrossed:

Trine Game studios - responsible for award-winning games such as 'Trash' or 'NFS:Mumbai' :mwahaha:

Sorry, but I never heard of them.

Is there something wrong with me now ? ;)

Well, they mentioned improved graphics, but I don't remember anyone saying it wouldn't be Genome. The screenshots look exactly like Gothic 3, anyway. I guess they gave them the source code and let them make some improvements, or something.

Well, they mentioned improved graphics, but I don't remember anyone saying it wouldn't be Genome. The screenshots look exactly like Gothic 3, anyway. I guess they gave them the source code and let them make some improvements, or something.

I call it a mod -> It's like that Gothic 1 mod called diccuric.

Forsaken Gods was butt ugly and crashed every three minutes, when I played it on the GC today. Hum. I have no expectations for it other that utter fail.

Last edited:
Indians

It's like the our company's indian guys, if you ask them is it done they says "yes yes", but when you got the package it's buggy and often misses lot of features. :eek:

So I don't expect nothing from Forsaken Gods. Farewell Gothic...

It's like the our company's indian guys, if you ask them is it done they says "yes yes", but when you got the package it's buggy and often misses lot of features. :eek:
So an ideal match for Gothic 3 perhaps? ;)

JoWooD G3: Forsaken Gods will be a stand-alone add-on based on Gothic 3 technology.

I can't quite wrap my head around 'stand-alone add on' it seems like a contradiction of terms. By this do they mean the same thing as how Night of the Raven was integrated into and became part of gothic 2?

I can't quite wrap my head around 'stand-alone add on' it seems like a contradiction of terms. By this do they mean the same thing as how Night of the Raven was integrated into and became part of gothic 2?

My guess is it'll be like blue-shift/dark-crusade/soulstorm/etc. - ie it's not worth being called a full game or sequel, but it contains its own engine and can be played without the original game.

Games Convention.

No. It´s a standard term meaning you don´t need a full version of the old game to play the add-on. This bypasses a possible low-attachment-rate problem.

My guess is it'll be like blue-shift/dark-crusade/soulstorm/etc. - ie it's not worth being called a full game or sequel, but it contains its own engine and can be played without the original game.

No new engine. They use Genome.

But if it is another engine, then what Gothic 3 technology will Forsaken Gods be based on?

Genome. It turned out the information given by JoWooD in that interview was slightly outdated, to put it mildly.

G3A will play in the G3 world, 2 years after G3. It will be based on one of the three endings. The world will be modified to reflect that the orcs are gone and a little rebuilding has taken place. A few empty areas will be cut out. Much more depth will be added, especially better quests. Ca. 7 new monster types will be added. The graphics and performance improvements were so minimal that GameStar explicitly said they didn´t notice them.

A patch to add the technical improvements to G3 is not planned.

No. It´s a standard term meaning you don´t need a full version of the old game to play the add-on. This bypasses a possible low-attachment-rate problem.

It is used not often, but it is there.

Age of Wonders : Shadow Magic was such an example.

No new engine. They use Genome.
I didn't say anything about a new engine - I said it'll have it's own engine, meaning you won't have to install Gothic 3 (ie it's not just a data pack/expansion).

Outsourcing the expansion to India could turn out quite well. There are actually quite a lot of good programmers in India; the city of Bangalore and surrounding areas have many fine programmers. I suspect that Jowood will do a lot og QA, though.

The game, Gothic: Forsaken Gods, are not finished yet. There are still bugs to squash, iron out, and problems to be fixed. And when one is squashed another one bugs up...

Back
Top Bottom