Considering getting a new HDTV.

Khalus

Whatever...
I've been considering this for quite awhile, and this is primarily for my PC Gaming, so here are my thoughts:

My current 40" Proscan HDTV still works great, and I havn't had any issues with it. Its just that its only 60Hz, and I've been reading that 120Hz is much better, especially when gaming. {Not that I've been doing that a lot lately, but I will with Skyrim and other games soon enough!}

Anyway, I've been looking at this 42" 120Hz HANNSpree HDTV for awhile, I've read through every review I could find, including a few videos on YouTube and pretty much everyone is giving it at least 4-5 stars, minus a few lesser ones here and there that got a defective one…{it happens} At $399.00 thats a pretty darn good deal considering all the features it has, and very comparable to HDTVs in the $700-$900 range by larger brand names.

Link to HANNspree's Website on this HDTV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Then I got to thinking, if I'm going to get a new HDTV, why only 2" larger!? After looking around a bit I found another good deal ~ 46" 120Hz Scepter HDTV for $480.00

I don't know very much about this company, but it too tends to have some fairly good reviews, but only a fraction that of the HANNspree model. {The whining noise that many are complaining about is a concern} I did read every review I could find on this one, and it sounds good, but I kinda feel as though the HANNspree would be the better value, but the larger size of the Sceptre is compelling.

Still though, since both companies are fairly unknown in the HDTV market, but in-turn have been well known in the Monitor market, its a tough decision. If they both make excellent Monitors, then their HDTVs should be good too!? And the reviews seem to confirm that.

Link to Sceptre's Website on this HDTV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

So anyway, the plan here is to sell my 40" Proscan to my father for about $325, so getting the HANNspree would only cost me about $75, or the Sceptre for $155. Plus $45 for an additional 3 yr warranty I'm considering getting, since they're off brand and both appear to have some minor issues, then I can just deal locally with Wal-mart should anything go bad.

What do you all think, or should I just stick with what I have? Is the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz worth all this trouble in getting a new HDTV, or the slight increase in size? Lemme know your thoughts, cause I'd very much like to possibly get the ball rolling on this and have it setup before Skyrim releases, that is if its worth it!

I've used my TV as a computer screen once and found out that the there was a mismatch in the native pixel resolution of the screen and the pixel resolution as seen by the computer. That gives some very blurry results.
So you should always operate the TV at its native resolution to get good results (which also applies to monitors). In the native mode the Sceptre only runs at 60Hz, The Hannspree doesn't mention it.
I also think DVI might be a better interface for these resolutions compared to VGA.

If you want to have a TV that can be used as a computer screen using more than 60Hz in its native resolution, these TVs might not be the right ones.

A couple things,

- How long can you hold out? Black Friday/cyber Monday is just around the corner and you are bound to find some really good deals online or in stores(if you're willing to wait in potentially long lines).

-Myrthos brings up some good points. Always try to stick with native resolution, but if you can't, disable scaling to avoid the hit to IQ/stretching/skewing(albeit with black bars if down sampling).

-I prefer a higher pixel density, better IQ.

dp = √w² + h² where dp is pixel diagonal, w is pixel width and h is pixel height

pixel density or PPI = dp/di = diagonal in pixels/diagonal in inches

42" vs 46" 1080p

=√1920² + 1080²
=√3686400 + 1166400
dp ~ 2203
dp/di
=2203/42 = 52.45
=2203/46 = 47.89

A 42" tv has 52.45 pixels per inch and a 46" is down to 47.89. Just for reference a 24" 1080p monitor is 91.79 or close to double the pixel density of the 46" tv. However if you sit further from the TV then the pixel density issue is moot anyway.

Yeah, I just though about the Black Friday deals coming in the next few weeks after I posted this. Probably gonna wait until then.

I also found out while testing an HDMI cable last night that 2 of my 3 HDMI ports are dead, and I still have 18mo remaining on a 4yr full coverage warranty through Best Buy. And they don't carry this brand of TV anymore, so maybe I could end up getting a full replacement and/or pay the difference for a better, larger HDTV…

Also it turns out that my native resolution on this HDTV is only 1366*768 with an HDMI cable, and any higher is not 1:1 pixel ratio and looks really bad and blurry, so yeah I do want a much better pixel ratio at higher resolution. When using the VGA port I can easily get 1920*1200 forced and it still looks great!

Back
Top Bottom