Shroud of the Avatar - Post-Funding Update #37: More About Homes

There was a video put out awhile back about dungeons and such, look for the rooster gameplay video. Yes, this may be an update that maybe won't interest some of you, but to say housing is all that there is so far is factually wrong.

What you do see in the Rooster video should make you at least see some good things, or not as the news post pointed out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wckfc-0WyPs

Thanks. There is some OK and some not so good - silly stuff in there, but definitelz better than $50 virtual houses. One thing I really like is that they are going with a text parser system ' been a while since I have seen one of those.

So you single player Ultima fans that backed this feeling good about it?

I have to admit, I'm not feeling good about my backing. At the start it was RG with talk about returning to the spirit of the single player games which was a dream come true. Then I backed it. And practically everything since then has been all things MMO and player housing.

I really don't care what kind of game RG wants to make. But I'm disappointed that this game is appearing to be a bait n' switch.

I'm not writing the game off totally. I'll wait and see - nothing else I can do anyway really. However, I began with optimism but now I just feel disappointed and skeptical. Time will tell.

Richard Garriott - the next DW Bradley

He probably needs to get more money after paying to go into space.

It's sad to be about the same age as RG and watch him go from groundbreaking computer game maker to money swilling "I will turn out trash" shyster.

I don't think the pay-to-own-a-home concept is that bad - better than some of the other ways we've seen developers trying to making money off multiplayer games, IMO.

Besides, houses in the single player mode can be acquired for in game currency:

"Houses in the offline single player version of the game will be available in most cities for an appropriate amount of in game currency and will not require a deed or significant maintenance. Obviously, as this is the offline version, the house will not be visible to other players."
https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=5920

EDIT: Hmm, I missed the word "significant" when I read the quote ("(...) significant maintenance"). Don't know if that means that real money is used to maintain the houses…

It is in game money for the maintenance. That is one of the perks o f buying a house outright.

Speculation is running rampant here.

I heard in online play the EULA will stipulate that Richard Garriot is entitled to rummage through your things and rearrange the furniture in your house while you're away.

I have to admit, I'm not feeling good about my backing. At the start it was RG with talk about returning to the spirit of the single player games which was a dream come true. Then I backed it. And practically everything since then has been all things MMO and player housing.

I really don't care what kind of game RG wants to make. But I'm disappointed that this game is appearing to be a bait n' switch.

I'm not writing the game off totally. I'll wait and see - nothing else I can do anyway really. However, I began with optimism but now I just feel disappointed and skeptical. Time will tell.

Is this a single player game or a MMO? At this point i am confused. Is this micro transations or a single buy game box?.

This looks more like a big mess of milk money features, and wheres the story of this new epic game?
Wait didn't RG said ' you the player will create your own story " errr.

Is this a single player game or a MMO? At this point i am confused. Is this micro transations or a single buy game box?.
All of above Dragonx. RG wants to have his cake and eat it.

Welcome to the 'I don't know' club. At the very beginning, when the game was first being pitched, there was a lot of talk that the game was going to be a single player RPG in the spirit of U4-U7.

But beginning with the kickstarter the focus of the game seemed to radically shift from that to heavy mmo with player housing and micro-transactions.

I'm not really sure what to expect at this point, but it seems like the focus of the game is more toward multiplayer or mmo than single player.

Welcome to the 'I don't know' club. At the very beginning, when the game was first being pitched, there was a lot of talk that the game was going to be a single player RPG in the spirit of U4-U7.

But beginning with the kickstarter the focus of the game seemed to radically shift from that to heavy mmo with player housing and micro-transactions.

I'm not really sure what to expect at this point, but it seems like the focus of the game is more toward multiplayer or mmo than single player.

Read up on it a bit if you don't know, seems to work for many things.

It is in game money for the maintenance. That is one of the perks o f buying a house outright.

Speculation is running rampant here.

Don't know if that was aimed at me or more of a general thought, but if the former, I'll just add that I'm not speculating, just commenting on the info from the linked site - info that wasn't clear regarding if they use in-game money in the offline mode or a mix of real money and in-game money :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom