Risen 3 Impressions after completing Risen 3

I've finished it a third time now, with a Voodoo Pirate using muskets. I'll update the main post with some information about ranged combat and Voodoo magic.

Also, joxer and me both discovered a rather big exploit/bug:
Jaffar tends to multiply the contents of any coin bags he picks up, so you'll end up getting 2500, 5000 or 10000 gold instead of 25, 50 or 100. Basically, it's more than enough to completely break the economy, so it's quite an exploit.

Just to say I'm thinking of replaying it from scratch and writing down legendaries, recipes and herbs locations, or editing them onto maps with some ugly circles and numbers or something…

I see people asking for those on steam and DS forum and honestly can't remember where I got at least half of stuff.

Last edited:
I remember some of it, which took me a while to find, but the majority has been forgotten.

Yea but now since I'd go directly on DH, I'd love if I could remember the location of each plant needed for magic and dexterity permapots. :(

I really wish they'd let you mark your map. I've been writing down the locations of chests I couldn't open and ore (before I had the prospecting skill), and even with my notes I still can't find some of them again.

An update from me. I have just joined the Guardians and I have to say I'm loving the game now. After Tacarigua I upped my attributes a bit and went solo on the next islands except where it made sense story wise to have a companion with me and lo and behold I started to enjoy it immensely. The flaws are still there but generally I can ignore most. Combat is more enjoyable solo once you have a few skills. Still far from perfect but overall as others have said this game has been criminally underrated by many critics. Reading the Eurogamer review, for example, is bizarre. Complaining about not being able to choose your character and appearance as well as buy different armour etc. Talk about missing the point. He even complains about the Pirate theme being diluted because of magic. Do these guys even read about the history and reasoning for these things? If he had mentioned PB's track record and given reasons for why he thinks they should change then fine but he simply seems unaware of what kind of games they do and why they have brought magic back.

Games by PB and many other indie RPGs are always underrated. ;)
Reviews are budget restricted. If you assign 1 guy for 1 day to play and write the article about a 50 hour game you are basically rolling the dice. Even worse if you assign the FPS guy.

It usually takes about a month until stable reviews for indie RPGs come out. Or to put it more bluntly: Don't go to a mainstream site if you want a review for a niche game.

Okay, I'm going to have to use that exploit, Maylander :) Good find.

Just to say I'm thinking of replaying it from scratch and writing down legendaries, recipes and herbs locations, or editing them onto maps with some ugly circles and numbers or something…

I see people asking for those on steam and DS forum and honestly can't remember where I got at least half of stuff.

Stop thinking and start jotting down info I can use :)

Yea well… I did start and now I see someone already made a list of legendaries.
I'll post it in another thread.

But noone (at least I can't find) made a list of all recipes (not just permapot recipes, but also booze and jewelry) nor plant locations.
I'll make those.

But be quick with another thing maybe worth making: a map of chests with difficulty 90-120? I mean, once you finish one whole island you should be able to open those 80 and less. To make maps of all chests would be rediculous, but maybe 90+ is too high? And also maybe not worth doing it for all islands, just a few since after a couple of islands you'll be able to open any chest?

EDIT:
Legendaries list:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1061269888#post1061269888

Last edited:
Could be worth it, especially if they have some important item in them. For example the one near the tower north west in Calador (across the log) is fairly high level and holds recipe for Potion of Blades. There's also one near a hut west of the mage camp of Taranis which holds recipe for Potion of the Thief. Both potions are important ingredients in order to make permanent potions, and they're quite easily missed if you never go back to check out high level chests.

Edit: I just checked my achievements and it seems I've done 49/50. I'm missing the evil one, which I'm not likely to get. I hardly ever play in evil in games.

Those chest locations are such a pain. I would advise anyone to use Cheat Engine and immediately upon waking from the dead, give themselves enough glory (takes about 160,000) to max Dexterity. I never regretted it. You will get the glory eventually, your mind is free to take the game as at comes, and it keeps you from having to switch jewelry/dedicate jewelry to thieving.

Okay I'll write down only chests that contain recipes/schematics, rares and jewelry with difficulty, the rest with just cash, booze and whatnot I'll skip.
IIRC Potion of Blades you can also get by KOing then robbing some friendly character on Calador... And not just that one. Also some recipes you get with pickpocketing. Now thinking about that, I'll add those too.
So it'll be a list of recipes/schematics with a description where to get them or a map spot if hard to explain. For example there is no reason to put a map if it's enough to say "Steelbeard's sword is in Antigua tavern chest by the bartender".

And I'm of course against cheating on dexterity. With high dex from the start you get sword dancer too early (50 dex is needed to train it). It also affects pickpocket skill but that skill is designed as a chance to success/fail so you can freely reload till you steal items or simply duel the guy then grab his items when he's KOed.

Ok - another gripe: those %#@!!! sea monsters! Goddamit! I can't drive/steer/command a ship - I'm useless. I end up smacking into the damn creature…I wish there was a way to skip… Now I have monster no 3 (bigger an badder) and I really don't want to set sail :-/ The naval battles are fine (if a bit too scripted and repetitive). grrr. I like the fact that they have tried to mix things up, but I really don't think the sea monsters work well, especially when my view is often obstructed by bits of sail etc - and Bones is a %#$#@ useless navigator ("it's behind us!"…erm no, Bones, actually it's to the left…starboard..whatever)

I think the third is the last of them - play on easy difficulty for these action sequences if you don't like them.

Yeah, the first sea monster was fun, but the 2nd and 3rd were just annoying. They should have made it a one-time encounter.

Try to approach from an angle where it's projectiles miss you, and then get close enough to use the broadside cannons. The front cannon does very little damage unless you're close enough to hit it several times in quick succession.

1st was nice and "friendly", 2nd was a bit tougher although not overly complicated, but 3rd one on normal difficulty was the toughest thing in my whole game to beat.
These battles should have been optional.

I was on the last one, having just turned it down to easy, before I discovered the broadsides...

I have to say that whole sea monster thing didn't really work out. Not a bad idea I guess, but it just feels completely detached from the rest of the game. It just doesn't add anything of value for me.

Back
Top Bottom