Disciples III Preview at Gamespot

magerette

Hedgewitch
Spotted this somewhat sketchy preview from E3 on the next iteration in the Disciples series.

Not surprisingly since it is from a new developer(Akella) it looks a bit different--some of the art, in particular (which was one of the more distinctive aspects of Disciples I & II) seems more generic and cartoonish. However, it is still apparently in a very early stage of development, though this sequel has been talked about for quite awhile.

Apparently original producer Strategy First is providing the background for the game. Didn't they go through a pretty severe shake-up not too long ago?

can barely even qualify as a teaser, was bummed there wasnt a bit more info on it.

Looks cool anyway

While I loved Disciples: Sacred Lands, I just couldn't get into Disciples II and so I have very little enthusiasm for part 3. There was nothing particularly wrong with D2, but it was just more of the same. D3 will have to add more than 3D graphics (though I loved the look of the first two games) to get my attention. Actually being able to move your units around in combat would be a great start.
I also highly question the decision to only go with three factions to start, and making it known that the rest will be added in via expansions. What's the incentive to buy the game at release when you know you can wait a while longer and likely get a bundled package?

Yes. The whole thing sounds very flimsy and half-assed. I keep thinking that the original Strategy First went bankrupt and was bought out--so this is a new regime of what can only be called 'entrepeneurs" behind the title. In this preview, anyway, D3 still sounds like an idea with little substance.

all for like 9.99 at that

Exactly. Wait a year and you'll get the main game bundled with all the expansions for $10.
I bought Disciples II at release, and it wasn't long (I don't think) afterwards that the first expansion came out, then the second, and then the whole thing was made available for one cheap price. That just soured the franchise for me, I felt it was nothing but a shameless cash-grab.

The interface looks a little different on those shots,and the artwork less defined--they are from Disciples III, right?(The site was not in a language I am smart enough to read ;) ) Looked like it could be shots of the Legions of the Damned with maybe a solo hero?

I took another look at the screenies over at Gamespot and decided the art isn't as bland as I thought--it really helps if you enlarge the pictures. :)

Nice. Looks like the DII Empire female leader avatar a bit.

Back
Top Bottom