Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor - Release Date

I took up the notice so I went for this site (clicked on epic fantasy, the genre of the game)
http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?STORE=book&FMT=physical&CAT=292&SRT=SA

Never read that series as I read an interviewer by the guy stating he is trying to emulate the complexity of a saga "Les rois maudits" written by author Maurice Druon. Apparently authored the preface to the english version.
Convinced me not to read his series as I read already "Les rois maudits" Useless to do things twice in this case.

To emulate the complexity isn't the same thing as telling the same story is it? I haven't read "Le rois maudits" so I can't compare, but what I can say is that A song of ice and fire is a totally different beast than LOTR. Much more character depth, many more shades of gray where at one moment you hate the characters and the next you start to sympathize and suddenly you love them. And then they die. What I feel Tolkien did great was world building and scenery, but when it comes down to intrigues and romance, story and depth I feel LOTR is lacking. I love LOTR for what it is, the creation of the Fantasy genre (Yes I know there are earlier examples, but to me Tolkien is the father of modern Fantasy.) But when I read the books today they can't compare to Ericsson, Martin, Kerr or Hamilton (Hamilton is actually more sci-fi but so good he has to mentioned). I realize this is my subjective opinion, and everyone else is entitled to theirs, but I have to agree with Wisdom. I don't think LOTR would be as much of a success if it had been written today.

I agree with Wisdom and tom. I have read all of Tolkien's books and they were OK but no more than that. It's very subjective, but Tolkien writing feels like a kids stuff to me. Kind of vintage Harry Potter.

The special thing about Tolkien's novels isn't the extraordinary writing. It's just that Tolkien with these novels kind of invented the Fantasy genre in literature in the 60's. (Some other guys had had novels too, but theirs haven't been that popular.) Before that magic and magical non-human intelligent creatures where only present in ancient mythology (greek, roman, north,...) and folklore, where there afaik haven't been any actual novel.

Plus Tolkien invented an entire fantasy world with its own creation story and stuff like two new actual "elven" languages.

I agree with Wisdom and tom. I have read all of Tolkien's books and they were OK but no more than that. It's very subjective, but Tolkien writing feels like a kids stuff to me. Kind of vintage Harry Potter.

I doubt you've read all of Tolkien's books because your analogy is ridiculous. Have you read The Similarion?

Comparing Tolkien's work to Harry Potter is like comparing Dune to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Well, The Hobbit is indeed a children's book.
But as JDR13 says the Silmarillion is definitely not. And imho LOTR is more an adult book as well.

Btw. it's difficult to rate the Harry Potter books concerning readers age as the novels get more mature together with the main protagonists.

Now that you guys have mentioned it, I have to admit that I haven't read Silmarillion. So, in this particular case, you might very well be right.

Haven't read Silmarillion (i've tried 5-6 times over some 20 years or so), but LOTR is really far from "Harry Potter" (and yes i've read Harry Potter), it's probably the most adult and well written fantasty i've read.. comparing Tolkien to other fantasy writers often feels like if someone would compare Beethoven to Justin Bieber, its just on a whole other level.

Different strokes for different folks vurt. Tolkien just doesn't move me.

Pretty high system requirements. Looks like a 64 bit OS is starting to be a requirement, finally.

Minimum:
Processor: Intel Core i5-750, 2.67 GHz | AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.4 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 | AMD Radeon HD 6950
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 25 GB available space

Recommended:
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 | AMD Radeon HD 7970
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 40 GB available space

I'm glad requirements are finally going up but I'm sure most will complain.

Back
Top Bottom