NWN2:Mysteries of Westgate - Preview @ VGBlogger

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch's Mike Anderson (txa1265) has written a short preview of Ossian Studios' NWN2 Adventure Pack, Mysteries of Westgate, for gaming site VGBlogger. Here's a sample:
One of the greatest things about the original Neverwinter Nights was the ability to craft your own complete role-playing adventures with relative ease. This has led to a large body of modules that rival commercial games, and was eventually exploited by Atari in the form of several ‘Premium Modules’. Neverwinter Nights 2 also features a large module toolset, though it is more cumbersome to use, was released in a less than optimal state, and has taken longer for developers to craft new modules with. Very soon, though, the first official ‘Adventure Pack’ will be released - Mysteries of Westgate from Ossian Studios. I will be reviewing that module later, but had a few thoughts on it - and also wanted to highlight the impending release.
More information.

Apparently Atari needed to have a DRM system in place that would protect ‘non exe’ installations such as these modules. This was a greater challenge than Atari. Obsidian (makers of NWN2) and Ossian estimated, and it kept getting pushed back from patch to patch … and eventually came out as part of the recently released 1.22 patch.
I thought the DRM was in 1.21 actually. They waited for 1.22 for compatibility testing.

I am not sure, and was just going on what I was told - that MoW required 1.22 and that was based on the DRM system. There might have been other stuff, I'm not sure.

The DRM system was implemented in an earlier patch (I believe even earlier than 1.21 but might be wrong). 1.22 was needed since the patch with SoZ broke some scripts, which rendered some modules unplayable. This included Mysteries of Westgate, and also Purgatorio. 1.22 fixed this problem.

In the meanwhile I'm done with the preview version and can only recommend the module itself. It's really a great story module, well done and with it's own special flavor. Westgate is a lively town and never becomes boring. A shame that it was delayed for so long. But it's still a quality module, even in the SoZ era.

Back
Top Bottom