The Top RPGs of the Decade @ RPGamer

Wow...world of warcraft third place?

Wow…world of warcraft third place?
Did you expect Planescape to get it?

Well at least there's no Diablo or Oblivion...

BG2 is of this decade, isn't it? If so, it should be a clear nr 1 in my opinion. I'd also place Gothic in 2nd place, but I am well aware most wouldn't do the same. A matter of taste.

A very rage inducing list.

VTMB should have been number 1.
At the very least it should have been mentioned. Great oversight. Maybe the article writers didn't play it ... which would be equally strange. ;)

At the very least it should have been mentioned. Great oversight. Maybe the article writers didn't play it … which would be equally strange. ;)

I don't know if Bloodlines is the best of the decade.

Regardless, I think most of us will agree a top-5 list whose only Western RPG entries are Fallout 3 and Dragon Age: Origins is a bit weak. But honestly, what kind of "top 5" or "top 10" list of any gaming genre of a full decade could possibly be good? It's just a stupid idea.

None of those games in the article would be in my top 5, and only FO3 would even be in my top 10.

I've already seen 3/5 of my top 5 mentioned here though. :)

BG2 is of this decade, isn't it? If so, it should be a clear nr 1 in my opinion. I'd also place Gothic in 2nd place, but I am well aware most wouldn't do the same. A matter of taste.

VTMB should have been number 1.

Bloodlines might not be my #1, but it would be in my top 5. So would Persona 3, and BG2.

I don't think Final Fantasy X would make it in my top 10. I enjoyed it, played it to completion, but it wasn't super-impressive (only super pretty).

I've only watched people play World of Warcraft. Seriously - I fear the game. Wasted too much time on MMOs in the past.

For me, these lists help identify bias of the editors or members of a site. Also how console friendly/unfriendly they are.

I enjoyed most of those games for different reasons (also afraid of mmorpgs for same reason as rampantcoyote) though none would make my my top 5 but some are possible for top 10. Vampire might make top 10 and PST would be #1 if we can count '99 as the last decade.

If I were to write a list like that, no game from beyond 2005 would be likely to get in the top 10 at least.

I have made myself unpopular at RPGamer when criticizing their lousy PC game coverage and blatant lack of knowledge of the genre. I have generally been told something like 'PC gaming is dead, you should be happy we cover it at all' ...

That said, I had read this when it first came out - since they *do* have excellent console & handheld coverage - and thought '5 games for a decade ... not even worth mentioning'.

I visited the site briefly, but it is too JRPG-heavy for my tastes.

What bothered me about that list was not the game selection (which surprised me, but hey, everyone has an opinion), but the writing. Here's just one example of what I mean, from the brief piece on FFX:

As laughable (pun intended) as some of the voice acted scenes in Final Fantasy X might seem these days, it was one of the first top tier RPGs to offer it, and made for a great experience at the time.

You didn't make a pun, and your sentence sucks.

He then goes on to tell us that "Auron rocks" and FFX gave us a "shockingly modern hardrock song." Not just modern, but shockingly modern. OMG!

As turian said, it sounds like it was written by a 16 year old.

I'm guessing you still haven't played The Witcher? :)

Actually no. I have The Witcher, Drakensang and Risen saved for summer.

Actually no. I have The Witcher, Drakensang and Risen saved for summer.

Nice, that's an enjoyable selection of RPGs right there.

Also, I only just now noticed it is actually a top 10 list, with a the rest section.
10. Kingdom Hearts
9. Valkyria
8. Final Fantasy XII
7. Mass Effect
6. Diablo 2
5. Fallout 3
4. Dragon Age
3. World of Warcraft
2. Final Fantasy X
1. Persona 3

:-/

Actual I think the list is pretty good fore a Mainstream RPG list, but a Hard core RPG list, as this community like, would of cause look a lot different, and mine personal list woul be a mix of those two :)

Back
Top Bottom