What games are you playing now?

Resident Evil 4 is getting better, I'm like an hour into it now and starting to enjoy it, I just had to get past the initial consolly wonkiness that a spoiled pc user feels he shouldnt have to mess with. I should be thankful that this is even able to be played on a pc, never got the 'Cube myself. Game looks great tho, and I never tire of wasting zombies!

digging out my ancient (2003) disk of Alice stuff, i scored a cool skin for her I'm using now-
ALICEOUTFIT06.jpg

the game is all about psychedelia and questionable substances, here's the result of a little sparkly concoction I drank a little while ago--
ALICEOUTFIT05.jpg

Alice rocks, I love this game, even tho it's a bit on the easy side at times

Last edited:
Looks kinda weird and creepy in a cool sort of way. Is that the whole title? Alice? I may have to check it out. How old is the game, and what's the premise?

the game American McGee's Alice was beautiful but it had more of a shooter feel to it than an adventure game. there's some fairly annoying jumping sequences in it but i kept on trucking. but i had to turn the game off when the white rabbit got stepped on and on with the story. i love the alice and wonderland universe (save the disney movie) but while the chesire cat was cool the feeling's of the game pulled me in the opposite direction of the one's i had growing up. plenty of people love the game so don't let that turn you away, but i don't know anyone whose both loved the game and is a charles dodgen fan.
and the game is almost seven years old now...but it does still look nice.

i enjoyed this alice much more, but never finished it either.
http://fourfatchicks.com/Reviews/Alice_in_Wonderland/Alice.shtml

American McGee's Alice is sort of a darker take on the Alice in Wonderland story, you have to basically cruise thru a victorian nightmare acid trip. It's an insane game, I love it purrsonally. It's got a great sorta gothic industrial at times soundtrack by Chris Vrenna, and is just a really trippy take on the tale. Actually, I think I'm finally going to break down and buy the soundtrack. Good ambient stuff to work to.

Anyway, everything graphics-wise is skewed slightly off, i dont think there's a true right angle in the game. The characters are all pretty wacked. Your weapons are weird stuff like toys, such as jack in the box, playing cards, croquet mallet, even tho I find myself using the kitchen knife most.

The demo's only like 80 mb, it's like the first level or two of the game i think. WASD, space to jump, left click to slash, right click to throw your knife. That's all you need to know, you prolly only get the knife in the demo. All the weapons have a primary and secondary fire, like with the playing cards you can throw one or the whole deck.

I recommend always throwing the knife and avoiding enemies until it reappears in your hand in a few secs, i dont like taking damage and slashing will get you hit. That's why it's pretty much considered a 3rd person shooter, the melee is kinda worthless! this day and age you can also max out the graphics, trust me, youll want to ='.'= <--cheshire guest appearance

edit- oh yeah, it came out in 2000, so expect it to be a bit dated
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_McGee's_Alice

Last edited:
hey sammy have you heard chris vrenna's 2 tweaker albums? those are some good tunes!

edit:
its interesting to see that the movie is still being made and supposed to be released next year along with another game. i'm sure i'll give them both a try.

checking out samples on Amazon right now. Interesting electronic. Sounds like a mellower NiN, a little less industrial and angry

Looks like I dont have to buy the Alice soundtrack after all, it's all done old quake-style .pak files, a bunch of mp3s alls I got to do is unzip. Nice!

Ah yes... American McGee. This must have been back in the day when he made good games right? ;)

I do remember seeing Alice on store shelves, guess it just didn't appeal at the time. I'll check it out eventually!

well i liked both scrapland and bad day la. neither were great games, but both were enjoyable and worth the ~15 bucks each i payed for them.

Re: Alice--It was on one of the 48 hour madness things at gogamer a few weeks ago--they still have it but it's 14.95 now--naturally. i almost bought it but I just don't have the patience( and skills ) for the adventure/shooter combo it looked to be--very cool looking game though.

my latest shot, this is a wild part of the game. Even the sky is a checkered board slowly drifting by! You have to fight chess pieces, it's kind of a pain in the ass, Ive had to use my heavy hitter nuclear jack in the box weapons for the first time. I'm actually stuck on this level, Ive done everything and Ive forgotten how to get out!

Suprised how good the graphics look on this game. The chess pieces you fight are all totally flexible, like made out of rubber or something, and they animate very fluidly.

aliceshot.jpg

Alice is one of my all-time favs, too :) . Just finally played through and actually finished it last year (or late in 2005). Great stuff all around. It's based on the Quake 3 engine by the way. That's why it (still) looks pretty decent. Make sure to force 8x AA and 16x AF via your graphics card driver's game profiles or via a tool that allows you to create game profiles like nHancer (if you are using a nVidia card that is). Those features can usually be enabled without much of a slowdown nowadays if you have a -say- 6600GT or faster card (I would guess) and it will greatly enhance the visual experience.

Oh, and if you're stuck, Sammy, remember that you can always just press 'c' and "ask" the kitty for clues :) . Also remember that the different baddies all have different vulnerabilities. Experiment with the different weapons to find out about their weaknesses. This is a neat aspect of Alice since the seemingly weaker weapons (like the throwing knives) never really become obsolete. Even on the later levels, you will bump into enemies that are most easily killed by throwing knives at them while others "respond" better to the cards etc...

Starting Bioshock. Had little interest in the game, but ended up with it from a co-worker and figured I might as well give it a try. Based on the instructions and the plane crash, I figure I'm looking at Deus Ex again, which isn't all bad.

Starting Bioshock. Had little interest in the game, but ended up with it from a co-worker and figured I might as well give it a try. Based on the instructions and the plane crash, I figure I'm looking at Deus Ex again, which isn't all bad.

I was initially disappointed with Bioshock in the early levels, but it ended up being a pretty fun ride before it was all said and done.

playing RE4, but making slow progress, maybe I just need more practice because I'm getting wailed on by the ranged zombies. It's kinda difficult at times! I'll be doing great, not a nick on me, then wham I get a sickle in the head from the back row! The dynamite is fun too.

At first I kinda just traded in the grenades and stuff like that, but not now, I'm using everything I can get my paws on against these mofos. I even try and get around the explosive tripwires if I can and lead them into them.

The female zombies are pretty sick/scary, they do that kinda feline rAwRRrr thing. I'm finding a good policy dealing with zombii to conserve ammo is to get them down with a kick and stab them. Gruesome game!

It's weird how the headshots with the pistol dont always rack up a kill, they just hold their eyes or something a lot of times. Explode, dammit!

total war 2.
fallout 1.
Well,RE4 is a great game.Just loved it but not in the level of the original.

yeah, I'm having a good time with it, it's a crazy game. I'm taking a lot of time, since I'm in "assault training" mode too. That's where I find a good area right by a checkpoint with lots of enemies, and just wipe them all out with no regards to ammo conservation or anything, just learning how to use the combat controls to their best. Rinse, reload, then repeat. That one swampy area with a bunch of docks en route to the other side of the lake is great for this, as it also spawns two waves of reinforcement zombies.

Damn Sam :p.. I feel great urge to reinstall re4 now..your post made it quite tempting.. A zombie killing would be a great way to spend monday evening don't you think? I even have the old saves left, so i could just start shooting. :)

What are you waiting for?RE4 has one of the best battles ever.Those who played it know what i mean

I know because I played it through last summer :). and yeah I just reinstalled it..had couple of rounds in assault mode (kill as many zombies as possible before running out of time or dieing). Its sure a blast.. i might even replay the storymode again this time on hard setting.

Sammy, what type of gamepad are you using to play RE4? Also, do you have everything mapped to it, or are you using the keyboard as well?

Back
Top Bottom