RPGWatch Feature: Book Review - The Stolen Throne

So tell me, how many times have you posted something and have someone flail at you with some variation of "but who are you to judge/according to whom/IT IS SUBJECTIVE"?

I'd love to see you defend the literary merits of GUYder's offering, though.

So tell me, how many times have you posted something and have someone flail at you with some variation of "but who are you to judge/according to whom/IT IS SUBJECTIVE"?

I'd love to see you defend the literary merits of GUYder's offering, though.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with the first question.

You have a different taste than those who like this book, apparently. You seem to be the one having difficulty accepting that.

Since I just stated that taste differs, and that there's no objective way of measuring quality - it would be pointless to defend the literary merits of anyone.

I could give you my opinion, though, but I don't have one - as I haven't read it.

High fantasy isn't taboo.

In German, I'd say "Jein", which is a combined word of "yes" and "no".

Of course, High Fantasy is no taboo, but people appear to believe it to be quite outdated, nowadays.

The image of "dark fantasy" also includes that it is rather a "low-level" kind of fantasy, which excludes High Fantasy.

Or in other words, according the cliché, dark ( & gritty) fantasy and High Fantasy exclude one another.

That's how the cliché goes. It need not be correct, and it need not be used this way all of the time. It's just the image.

No, he really isn't. I enjoy ASoIaF as much as anyone, but he's very very far from "the best fantasy author alive." Even many of his fans will admit the same. Of course, if you compare him to GUYder and Paolini... but that doesn't say a lot.

Again, it's a matter of taste. In my opinion, Martins is at least in the top five, as some of his closest competitors (Tolkien, Jordan) are dead. There's hardly a fantasy book I'd consider more enjoyable than Game of Thrones, except perhaps the early books of Wheel of Time.

That's just my personal opinion, of course.

Really? I've read thousands of fantasy novels and I hated Martin's books. While volume doesn't mean I have good taste, I can certainly point to a reason for my dislike of his novels. I read fantasy for the escapism and to feel good about the characters and for a happy conclusion. To me, good fantasy does end with "and they lived happily ever after." I generally prefer the works of more light-hearted authors for that very reason. The story can be very dark and tragic, but if so I want the main characters to mostly stay alive. I loved Anne Bishop's series, even though the main character goes through some horrific things. I'd take the Belgariad over the Game of Thrones series any day. I also like mages who become extremely powerful, that probably says something about me personally, but I don't care :D

So I'll read it for the elf nipples and the thrusting. I cannot recall another fantasy book with hardcore elves lol

Won't read the review just yet, since I'm reading the actual book right now. I'll wait untill I'm actually done with the book.

Same here.

Nah, I think that's more of a secondary function. I believe its primary reason to exist is to flesh out the background and setting to DA: Origins, and in this function it succeeds quite well.

Thats what Im looking for actually in these books made about games. I consider it as a major failure if its too detached from the game. Some say the second mass effect book is such but I havent yet read it.

Or in other words, according the cliché, dark ( & gritty) fantasy and High Fantasy exclude one another.

That's how the cliché goes. It need not be correct, and it need not be used this way all of the time. It's just the image.

Dragonlance vs "The-drow-that-shall-not-be-named". One gritty the another not but both high fantasy. Just a thought.

So I'll read it for the elf nipples and the thrusting. I cannot recall another fantasy book with hardcore elves lol

Re-read the review: there aren't any. It's all very softcore -- milk-soft skin, eyes brimming with tears, husky voices, fade to black...

I'm not sure what you're getting at with the first question.
He seems angry that he cannot make tastes, i.e. opinions, objective ... and wants to trash you for it. At least that is how it is reading. That seems infantile, so I am assuming my read is wrong, so I am also confused.

Nah, I think that's more of a secondary function. I believe its primary reason to exist is to flesh out the background and setting to DA: Origins, and in this function it succeeds quite well.

Absolutely - actually, based on other tie-ins I've read through the years, your review seems utterly glowing and makes me think that $10 for the eBook might be well spent!

I probably won't read this book since I can't get into novels focused at a teenage or childrens audience but I think that any book that is liked by the audience it is made for is a good book since that is the important idea when you write the book is to make it enjoyable towards your audience.

I pretty much only read fantasy since I can't get into other genres and my most favorite books are ASoI&F series, The Riftwar series, The Black Jewels series, and the Wheel of Time series. (up till The Crossroads of Twilight) I can understand ASoI&F not being liked by some people because it is pretty depressing and I usually dislike stories where most of the main characters die but this series is good enough to go beyond my dislike for these kinds of stories.

I think most people have different standards when it comes to games, movies, and books since in general the storyline quality starts hight with books then goes down to movies and at the bottom is games. You have to adapt to the quality difference bettween the different mediums or you won't beable to enjoy the good parts about each medium. For example I wouldn't read the Harry Potter books (I probably couldn't if I tried) but I like the movies a good deal.

PS. This might be nostalgia but there was one series of books based on a game series I really liked when I was a teenager. The series was based on the Doom series but had it's own story seperate from Doom. Has anyone here ever read that series and what did you think of it?

There is no right or wrong as far as taste goes.

However, comparing Stolen Throne to Game of Thrones is redicilous, as Martins is possibly the best fantasy author alive.

Here's a good example. I've read the first two Martin books and I don't get what all the fuss is about. They are OK but way overly long. But not best (to MY taste) by a long shot.

I enjoyed reading Stolen Throne but then I do not feel impelled to compare everything I read to my all time favorites.

Last edited:
I thought the novel was an enjoyable read. Fleshed out the world and told an interesting story. Characters were better and deeper than the back cover text might imply. Not perfect, but overall left a positive impression. Also I wouldn't say it was aimed at teenagers.

The ursurper of the throne wasn't evil for evil's sake. He had been sent to the backwater Ferelden against his will as a punishment. No wonder that a spoiled, self-centered noble would take that out on those around him. Perhaps the "villains" of the story weren't as fleshed out as they could have been, but the main focus of the story wasn't on them anyway.

Again, it's a matter of taste. In my opinion, Martins is at least in the top five, as some of his closest competitors (Tolkien, Jordan) are dead. There's hardly a fantasy book I'd consider more enjoyable than Game of Thrones, except perhaps the early books of Wheel of Time.

That's just my personal opinion, of course.

I think my current favorite living fantasy authors are Steven Erikson, Glenn Cook, and ... well, I don't know. I'd respect Martin more if he could actually write a book in a reasonable amount of time.

Same here. I checked for this book at the biggest English book store around Taiwan and it's not here yet.

Hm...didn't know anyone else was in Taiwan. I checked a few local places, but I'm sure they were nowhere near to getting it in. If you happen to find it, I'd appreciate a PM/email. :)

Cool, someone else in Taiwan at the Watch.

Sure I'll PM you if I find any place. Right now I've checked Page One and they don't have it yet. If any book store will have it it will be them.

Forget trying to order from Lai Lai. I've tried once and they never delivered. I don't even think Lai Lai is still around. Eslite has gone downhill. I don't even go there anymore except for White Dwarf magazines. If you're down south in Kauhsiung you could try Caves Books. They normally have a great selection. I believe there might be one also in Taipei where I am at, but I've never bothered to go looking for it. I just head to Page One. They'll order the book for you if they don't have it and they do actually get it unlike Lai Lai.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom