Titan Quest

It's my favorite hack & slasher, been playing it for a long time plus a little longer than that. The genre is not for everyone, just like strategy games could never get even a little slice of my attention since the original Red Alert.

Anyone complaining it's too easy, just grind on until you get to the underworld, Hades. The demise of nearly all my toons....

Yeah, the last act is a wake up call, especially on the higher difficulties. I've gotten several builds all the way through normal, epic and legendary only to watch them die miserably in Hades.

Like the screen name. :)

Yeah, the last act is a wake up call, especially on the higher difficulties. I've gotten several builds all the way through normal, epic and legendary only to watch them die miserably in Hades.

Like the screen name. :)

Yeah, speaking of wake up calls, a lot of my toons have had their coffins nailed by Toxeus the Murderer :biggrin: Nothing like seeing that sucker dart towards me from the other side of the screen and one-shot my poor hero.

Also, most people who feel even the legendary bosses are easy will nicely quit and reload the game when they see a legendary Dactyl. There's nothing nice to be said about them. <_< I'm beginning to think anyone claiming to have killed one without any deaths, has to be lying.

a lot of my toons have had their coffins nailed by Toxeus the Murderer

Like my level 48 Harbinger in epic. Went through him like he wasnt even there. I have spent the last week playing this game again. (Spent a lot of the previous few months on Sacred 2, one of my fave arpg's.) I had completely forgotten how much fun it was. I have my harbinger in legendary now, and am working a battlemage and haruspex towards that level also. It is one of the better skill systems in an arpg.

Haruspex is an awesome build. That's my farmer toon. Harbinger is also fun if a bit less spectacular. Mine(harbinger) got stuck in legendary Eqypt--need to go back someday and move her along. She's a dual-wielder and getting the right weapons is the key I think. She's just got tiger swords from normal atm. Haven't played in quite awhile, and I've just been sucked back into King's Bounty, but I usually get back into TQ at least once a year, and it's always fun.

I play TQ frequently. Recently kicked off a Spellbreaker, with proper gear that's something extraordinarily brutal. Where Haruspex suits farming due to near immortal defense and avoid projectiles, this machine converts so much damage to health it isn't even funny. I'm thinking this will be my farmer for quite a while, going to fill my Vaults a bit…

I don't play more than one character at any given time, I bury them in a folder somewhere once they bite the dust or i get a better idea. Can't stand the death counter, i suppose. :biggrin: Seeing Hades stuff that fork up the dark side of a carefully built, brave heroine is depressing, though.

That's one more reason to hate the one-shotting bastards in Hades and beyond, they've ripped off countless of gaming hours from me. In an eternity of playing TQ, i've gotten one character through Legendary unharmed. ONE. Could be more if i learned to ignore deaths.

This game was good, but Immortal Throne brought if, at least imo, into greatness. The atmosphere in the whole new act is simply incredible. The dream skill tree is easily my favorite, albeit probably overpowered. The addition of arcane formulas, the secret passage, man. What an unbelievably well done expansion.

Dream/Defense always seemed like a god combo, but I never went far with it. I always did rogue/fighter duel wield spec. Hopefully Torchlight will finally surpass TQ because I felt Sacred 2 fell slightly short of doing that.

I hated the Sacred series because of the respawning. I'm almost done with the original campaign, its great. I just cannot wait for the DIII and all that gore... LOL

I hated the Sacred series because of the respawning. I'm almost done with the original campaign, its great. I just cannot wait for the DIII and all that gore… LOL

Im in the opposite camp. I like respawning. Although I fail to see why they cant put an option in the game to set the time length for when they respawn, to shutting it off totally if desired.

Last edited:
I got TQ and TQ:IT together for $5 from Direct2Drive. :)

What's the most fun kind of character to play? I like a build where playstyle is tactical and not repetitive, requiring the use of different skills against different enemies. Not just spam the same attacks for hours on end.

As a point of reference, I loved the Assassin from Diablo II! :)

Glad to see you're getting into TQ, Thrasher. There are all kinds of builds, and that link woges posted is an excellent place to start—nice board, too. Gamebanshee has a good items database, also.

If you liked the assassin, you might enjoy the Dreamkiller or Warlock, or one of the other rogue builds—but they aren't for power gaming, definitely more finesse builds. The Prophet(Dream and Storm) is a good, tough and interesting first character build if you like casters, the Spirit tree is for the necromancers amongst us and if you like ranged fighters, the Hunting skill tree rocks and can provide a lot of options. You can pair the Dream tree with almost any other one and get a viable and not too spammable set of skills going.

Hope you enjoy the game. I've lost months of my life to it with no regrets. :)

I'm not so happy. Played through to the summit of Mount Olympus only to find out my melee character has no chance of beating the final boss. Expert recommend I reconfigure my skills, which I think is pretty ridiculous as a solution. But anyway.... So I fired up "Immortal Throne" only to realize its the same game expanded? So I should have played Immortal Throne from the get go??? I'm not slogging though all this hack and slash twice! :(

Thanks for the recommendations. The possibilitites for builds are a bit overwhelming. 72 possible classes, each with a few specializations for certain skill trees. And then how do I know if a particular build can win the game, much less will be fun for my preferred playstyle.

This will take a lot of research, I think....

I'm not so happy. Played through to the summit of Mount Olympus only to find out my melee character has no chance of beating the final boss. Expert recommend I reconfigure my skills, which I think is pretty ridiculous as a solution. But anyway…. So I fired up "Immortal Throne" only to realize its the same game expanded? So I should have played Immortal Throne from the get go??? I'm not slogging though all this hack and slash twice! :(

That boss spells huge problems for anyone who isn't prepared for it. Proper tactics can get any toon through, however. If you think TQ is slogging through hack and slash, then it's most likely not your type of game. :) I enjoy wading through the endless amounts of monsters the game provides, with XmaX mod it's 10 times the original slaughterfest and 3x bosses. Awesome!

Thanks for the recommendations. The possibilitites for builds are a bit overwhelming. 72 possible classes, each with a few specializations for certain skill trees. And then how do I know if a particular build can win the game, much less will be fun for my preferred playstyle.

This will take a lot of research, I think….

Any class combination can beat the game, some have it easier than others of course. So no worries about getting stonewalled, except for maybe your first few characters because you may not manage to equip or build them effectively. Finding good gear is crucial, 3rd party programs like TQVault can help with storing them. I don't consider it cheating because TQ:IT already provides a Caravan function with storage space, the Vault is only expanded space. Besides i hate finding a good bow with a Warrior, and having to sell it because i'm out of storage space. And so on.

It depends on play style, anyone who doesn't like deploying tactics of any kind wouldn't like a Prophet or a Druid so much. Likewise if you think using 8+ quickslots is difficult, better stick to the "simple" but powerful Spellbreaker or Harbinger.

I prefer complexity and flexibility over spamming the same combos over and over. The DII assassin was a very nice mix of damage type spells (ie traps), summoning, spells to stun, spells to hide and runaway, and then great melee skills. My assassin was a Flashdancer type. Such fun!

There's a fair amount of classes to suit your needs and preferences, in that case. :biggrin: They tend to be reasonably challenging as well, whereas the tanking characters are often just that. Tanks. All about taste, 'tis.

I haven't played every type of class there is, yet. I'm planning to, but so far i've enjoyed every one i've made, tank or glass cannon.

A lot of surviving into the harder difficulties, as toxeus notes, and similar to Diablo, is being properly equipped. Later in the game, you're not going to sail through boss battles with a generic weapon and some armor you bought from a vendor. That said, a ranged character is a lot easier to get through the final battle in TQ first time around, whereupon you'll enter the expansion, which is much more challenging.

@Thrasher: I also loved my assassin in DII--a hotkeying nightmare at times, but much more involving to play, like driving a car with a stick shift ;)--but I've racked my brains to come up with something comparable in TQ--the rogue line might be closest. Most skill trees have some complexity and skill switching involved; probably most in the caster trees and a bit less in warfare and defense. I'd go with something that appeals to you after reading through the skills trees, and maybe pair it with either Dream or Nature for life support. (Nature has the Heart of Oak skill which is just like the druid skill in DIILOD, and adds extra life) If you enjoy the game, you'll probably be playing it eventually with more than one character.

@ Todd, yes, it's best to start out playing Immortal Throne and go straight through the game, because that way you get access to the powerful Dream skill tree, the extra act automatically, plus the advantage of having the caravan for extra storage and swapping between toons. But if the hack and slash is already getting to you, might not be your game. :)

Last edited:
I don't mind a bit of hack and slash, I'm just not sure I'm prepared to do it all again (the same levels) because I played the wrong game. Too bad I didnt know the expansion was like Gothic II's NOTR where you had to restart. Had I known that I would have clearly played Immortal Throne. Live and Learn I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom