Risen 2 - Interview @ GameSpot

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Daniel Oberlerchner, senior brand manager at Deep Silver, has been interviewed at GameSpot about Risen 2. He reveals they are " slowly but surely leaving the content creation phase" and entering Alpha. Here's a snip on moving around the islands:
GS: We were told in March that Risen 2 will take place across numerous islands, rather than on a single landmass, and that there would be some as-yet undisclosed means of transporting your pirate hero and his companions to and from different islands. Is it safe to assume that this method of transportation might be some sort of ship, perhaps of the pirate variety, as it were? If Risen 2 were, in fact, to have a "pirate's ship," if you will, what other purposes would it serve? Customizable housing? A quest hub? A crafting hub?
DO: Yes, you will be able to command your very own ship in Risen 2! The decision to make the ship the central means of transport in the game was based on the feedback from the fans. In Risen 1, even key characters dropped in and out of the storyline, and the players felt a bit isolated--they wanted a sense of ongoing companionship. For this reason, the ship in Risen 2 will not only get you from point A to point B, but will function as a hub for your companions where the player can talk to and get quests from them. So it helps to add the flavor of a party in an RPG without the hassle to the player of having to manage multiple characters all the time.
More information.

Numerous islands?
Not a couple, a few or several... Not even a dozen or dozens... But numerous?
How many islands are there exactly if I may ask?

Just knowing it wont be out till next year makes me a rotten potato.

anyone read anything about swimming / diving? Is it out like in all recent RPG's (yeah except Bethesda ofc)? That'd suck. I think diving for treasures and exploring sunken ships or whatever really belongs in the pirate theme..

Sounds great with the many islands, i loved that in Morrowind, even though they were tiny it was really nice to adventure and swim between the little islands to explore them.

There's no swimming or diving in Risen 2 unfortunately.

It's frustrating to me, because it was something I was really hoping for, especially with the pirate theme.

It's frustrating to me, because it was something I was really hoping for, especially with the pirate theme.

You would probably drown anyway with all the crap you're carrying.

I've come to accept the no swimming/diving thing, even if I'm not happy about it.

I had a feeling they'd do something like this with a ship - and I think it's great news. It adds another layer of gameplay to an already fantastic design approach.

I'm REALLY looking forward to this one. Only Deus Ex: HR has me more excited.

Yeah, agreed. It would really have been nice.

But we know by now that Pirhana Bytes will deliver something worthwhile regardless, so I'm really really happy that they're still on the gaming map.

Back
Top Bottom