Frayed Knights - Trailer/Teaser Released

As long as you're not charging AAA money for a 30 hour game, I don't see a problem. The demo will tell me if your game is worth X amount of dollars for 30 hours. I wonder if you're seriously fudging the time, in the wrong direction, for someone completing it the first time. We'll have to read the tooltips, figure out which weapon, spell, potion, etc works best and you know all of that. I want FKToSD to last till Skyrim :)

As long as you're not charging AAA money for a 30 hour game, I don't see a problem.
Like all the AAA games do, you mean? Sometimes you just come across as a prick, ol' 'nut. He'll beepin charge what he wants and you'll beepin decide whether you'll buy it for the price, and thats that.
Sorry, I'm feeling grumpy right now.

My first time through the game took over 30 hours, close to 35 I'd guess and I deliberately avoided much of the optional combat. (A certain feat you can choose warns you that enemies are near and gives you the choice of attacking them, or avoiding them.) I found the game to have a satisfying length and unlike say Wiz 8 (which I love) that wasn't 30 hours of LONG combat and a few hours of other stuff!!

Skaven, you've played this. Is it really a 30 hour game, or is it more like 60 if you do everything?

1st playthrough was a little over 30 hours.

2nd was still around 30 hours.

The length is perfect for this game, imo. It keeps you interested throughout the game with what is going on and more importantly the banter between the characters. The plot is nice, but Jay's writing for the characters is great. It's serious at times, but with a twisted sense of humor thrown in at other times. I didn't realize until I played this game just how much I miss a game that adds humor to it.

If you guys have read any of my posts then you know I love me some combat and while the writing was great, the combat was pure bliss. The stats, the fact that the monsters actually challenged my party, the weapons, just about everything about his game reminded me of Wizardry more so than M&M, but people keep mentioning M&M and who am I to argue? I never played M&M as much as I did Wizardry.

If you are expecting Bethesda style exploration/length then I would lessen my expectations. There is exploration and there is a lot to see, but this is an indie and if Jay tried to do a game the same size as Morrowind/Oblivion/Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas then he might have gone insane quite awhile ago ;)

Believe me it is just long enough without getting boring since Jay pretty much got rid of grind fests with those drama points. Instead of having to backtrack all the way to the inn, you can just use a few drama stars and rest up. There are random encounters of course, but not having to limp your way back every 10th battle or so helped a lot in getting rid of the boring parts of any game.

@Alrik - it will be a digital download, payment handled through BMT - a secure e-commerce provider that handles many indie games (including Eschalon, Din's Curse, etc.).

I'm sorry, but I don't know much about online buying ... Therefore, I don't remember the name of BMT. Can you (or anyone else) give me a link to their web site ?

The length of the game means little to me compared to the quality. Too many RPGs these days are stretched out to 60+ hours because of endless boring filler quests. I'd rather have a 30 hour game with quality content throughout.

Yeah, sorry Alrik, I over-answered your question. You'll be able to buy it from FrayedKnights.com, or RampantGames.com

The length of the game means little to me compared to the quality. Too many RPGs these days are stretched out to 60+ hours because of endless boring filler quests. I'd rather have a 30 hour game with quality content throughout.

I agree. I still like to use a "close to a dollar per hour" ratio to estimate the value of a game, but that doesn't mean it has to be in one play-through. For example, VTM:B is a relatively short game (I'd guess somewhere between 15-20 hours), but there are plenty of reasons to play the game multiple times thanks to great re-playability and quality content throughout. I imagine Frayed Knights will be similar in the sense that it will most likely be impossible to see everything in one go. And 30 hours seems about perfect for a game of this nature; the only way to make it substantially longer is to add a bunch of needless filler content.

Looks interesting. I got a kick out of the whole "so your party rogue can feel useful" bit. Made me remember a lot of useless rogues in old school CRPGs.

I agree that 30 hours is a good amount of time for a RPG to take. Too much more then that and your usually looking at a lot of mindless combat filler.

http://www.bmtmicro.com/

But there's no reason to be interested in their site at the moment. There will be a "click to buy" (or similar) on the Rampant Games / Frayed Knights site that will direct you there to process the payment when you buy.

Thanks.

Yeah, sorry Alrik, I over-answered your question. You'll be able to buy it from FrayedKnights.com, or RampantGames.com

Okay, thanks. In general I really appreciate rather too much information over too few. ;)

Edit : I just found out that I can - in principle - also do German bank transfers :

From their ordering FAQ (I delleted the bank details) :

Payment in Euro is available to the following account with Commerzbank:

Select the wire transfer in EUR payment option in your shopping cart. Upon submission, the page will display a completed, printable order form for your convenience. This ensures prompt and proper fulfillment once your payment is received.

This is just great for me ! :) No credit cards needed, if I interpret this correctly ! :)

Source : http://www.bmtmicro.com/customer-faqs-ordering.html
(It's almost at the end of the page)

Edit : I could have mis-intepreted this section as well … I'm not quite sure anymore whether I understood this part correctly ???

Edit once again :

From another FAQ there :

Special Information for our German Customers

Any program we distribute can also be purchased by depositing the registration fee into our account with Commerzbank. Please fill out our off-line order form and mail or fax it to us before depositing funds into account.

When purchasing a product via transfer into our Commerzbank account, it is imperative that you submit an order form for the product you are purchasing. Remember, without an order form on file, we have no way of knowing who you are or what you purchased. All orders are filled once the funds are deposited into our account by Commerzbank.

Source : http://www.bmtmicro.com/customer-ordering-options.html

I'm not quite sure but I think I can almost say that itgh this "special information for german customers" they implicitely acknowledge that Germany still has not many credit cards in use. I'm not at all an bank expert, but I still have the impression that in Germany credit cards aren't that common, still.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom