Fallout 3 - Mothership Zeta Screens and Info

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
We have four new screens from the latest Fallout 3 DLC Mothership Zeta for you.
Mothership Zeta is scheduled to be released on the 3rd of August and has the following features:​
Description: Defy hostile alien abductors and fight your way off of the massive Mothership Zeta, orbiting Earth miles above the Capital Wasteland. Mothership Zeta takes Fallout 3 in an entirely new direction - outer space. Meet new characters and join with them in a desperate bid to escape the Aliens' clutches. To do so, you'll wield powerful new weapons, like the Alien Atomizer, Alien Disintegrator, and Drone Cannon, and deck yourself out in brand new outfits, like the Gemini-Era Spacesuit and even Samurai Armor.
Story: A strange Alien signal is being broadcast throughout the Capital Wasteland, originating from a crashed UFO. Is it a distress call, or something far more sinister? That question is answered when you find yourself beamed aboard an enormous Alien spacecraft, with only one alternative - to fight your way to the bridge of the ship and secure your escape.
Key Features:

• Find and exploit new and destructive alien technology, like the Alien Atomizer and Drone Cannon.
  • Explore the vast Mothership and learn the secrets of the Aliens' master plan.
  • Thwart the Aliens' attempt to stop your escape, and take over the Alien ship before it wreaks havoc on the unsuspecting Earth below.
  • Fight against the Alien Invaders, their robot drones, and turn their own horrible experiments against them.
  • Ally yourself with an unexpected array of characters, both from the Capital Wasteland and from Earth's past.
More information.

Man, it's like every time Bethesda flushes their toilet, we get another one of these DLCs.

They bought the license now they need to earn as much as they could.......

This is even weirder than Anchorage...

Could be worse.

Better than I expected.

Sounds silly to me. As if the post-apocalytic setting wasnt enough, now they feel the need to add in UFO.

Umm ... Crashed alien spacecraft were one of the much loved random encounters of the early Fallouts. They are simply building on this. As an old guard Fallout player, I find myself somewhat embarassed by the frequent knee-jerk dismissals of anything new. Not enough like old ones ..., too much like old ones, etc.

As far as the DLC business goes, unfortunately this appears to be the way of the future and the economics support it. Why spend 1/2 year to a year building a full on expansion pack for 29.99 when you can spend the same amount of time building 5-6 DLCs for 9.99. I enjoyed some of these DLCs quite much and 9.99 doesnt seem like a lot. However, theres often not a lot of real gameplay here. Sure when you add them all together you may get a respectable expansion in size, but very unfocused and it ends up costing a lot more.

Crashed alien spacecraft were one of the much loved random encounters of the early Fallouts.

So were Doctor Who, a Star Trek shuttle and the whole cast of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Doesn't mean they should be made anything else than just small easter eggs.

Hardly seems something to get upset about. Does it really horribly tarnish the Fallout mythos by adding minor storyline in this direction? Just finished reading about how many are complaining Fallout 3 storyline was "derivative" of old Fallout. Seems like your damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Hardly seems something to get upset about. Does it really horribly tarnish the Fallout mythos by adding minor storyline in this direction? Just finished reading about how many are complaining Fallout 3 storyline was "derivative" of old Fallout. Seems like your damned if you do and damned if you don't.

You're presenting a false damned if you do. Because the options you present are:
1. Rehash existing factions and plot points for Fallout 3 despite it being at a different time and location than the original two.
2. Add a storyline that is divorced from Fallout as a genre (Fallout is post-apocalyptic, not sci-fi, I don't know why people find that hard to grasp).

Damned if you do damned if you don't? Yes, if the two choices are both pretty stupid, then obviously you're damned in either case. But those aren't really the only choices available, are they? Is it really that hard to create new factions and locations that follow through logically on the Fallout setting, enrich the world and don't break internal coherence? Apparently it is.

PS: when you say "many are complaining Fallout 3..." you just mean you read the Hellforge editorial, no?

PS: when you say "many are complaining Fallout 3..." you just mean you read the Hellforge editorial, no?

Yes and the many people in the accompanying thread that agreed wholeheartedly. With respect to the rest, you're free to be as upset about this as you want. While I don't necessarily like the Oblivion style lack of focus, I personally feel they did an excellent job of capturing the fallout atmosphere. Unfortunately, they were not writing to you or I when they made the game. They are justifiably trying to familiarize a new audience with the universe. I just don't get all the bitching about the storyline and lack of fidelity, over-fidelity, etc. Where the game was a let-down IMO is in the lack of balance and meaningful character development, along with some occasionally bad design decisions.

I just don't get all the bitching about the storyline and lack of fidelity, over-fidelity, etc.

You don't care about it or you don't get it? If you, personally, opt to not care about it, I have no issue with that, but if you deny there's plenty of justifiable reason to consider Fallout 3 and its DLC to completely miss the mark on Fallout setting, atmosphere and genre-wise, then I'm not getting you.

I thought fallout 3 was great and supporting it further with new things is a good thing...of course if you live in the past and ignore any faults of the original ones you are most likely going to sneer at anything released with the fallout name.

Too bad it has to be cut and dry what fallout is....at least some of us can see the good from both versions and enjoy what we have.

You don't care about it or you don't get it? If you, personally, opt to not care about it, I have no issue with that, but if you deny there's plenty of justifiable reason to consider Fallout 3 and its DLC to completely miss the mark on Fallout setting, atmosphere and genre-wise, then I'm not getting you.

Let's just agree not to get each other then. Seems like the only way forward at this point. I'm with Rune_74.

The UFO always were an easter egg, and this is a bit too much for me, but have to confess that graphically it looks stunning and I will probably play it.

Having said that. The suggestion that "Fallout 3 and its DLC completely miss the mark on Fallout setting" is completely alien to me. If F3 did one thing right, it was the feel of the Fallout universe. So did also the DLC 2-4.

Yes, the original games had their faults. No game is perfect, but FO1 and 2 having faults, doesn't some how make 3 better. There's no reason that FO3 couldn't have been isometric NWN-style turn based. This isn't out-dated, it's just that its not appealing to casual gamers. So they basically told us they were hardcore Fallout fans and then did something not so Fallout like.

FO3 had childs play choices and consequences compared to it's ancestors. The big choices are blow up the shitty village of 12 people or don't, kill Harold or don't, do this or don't, do that or don't. It still boggles my mind the amount of choices you had in FO2 just in New Reno and the best part is that you don't even know you're making choices. My first time through I wasted Bishops gang because I thought they were scumbags. I had no idea I would be effecting the whole plot with Vault City and NCR.

Having stats only to determine if you're allowed to attempt something like lockpicking is retarded. Why does a number determine if I'm allowed to do something? Why did Fallout need these stupid mini games anyway? They aren't fun unless you still think pong is fun. They even have to pause the game while you do them so that bad guys don't spoil your fun.

It's pretty discouraging to go to Megaton for the first time, shit to be outside for the first time and the very first thing your character says is "Have you seen my dad?" Not to mention your character already knows about bottle caps and the nuclear bomb in the middle of town without anyone mentioning these details. Oh, but wait the big black sheriff says "fuck" LOL IMMERSION!

I could go on, but there's probably no point. I will say that I paid for this bullshit and when I pay for something I like to feel as if I got my moneys worth. I won't just see the good things since I enjoyed FO3 for perhaps 3 hours before I saw fucking everything there was to see. As you know, FO3 has scaled combat since they wouldn't want the player to feel bad if they die too much so I wasn't too limited. I will also point out that I ignored the main quest but still somehow managed to enter the whole dreamville black and white "OMG MOAR 50's" shithole simulator. I couldn't figure out what was going on until I realized that this game is so bad that it actually allows you to get to presumably plot critical locations without actually following through the main quest. Of course the dialogue options don't reflect this. All of a sudden my fucking dad is there.

Sorry buckos, I love you all

I don't think fallout has to be isomeric to be fallout though, and to top it off the first person made "me" feel more part of the setting and I felt uped the level of immersion.

If you saw everything there was to see in 3 hours you didn't see much of the areas out there....there are alot of places not on the map that you can walk to. Playing for three hours and writing off the game seems premature, but hey thats your choice. I think I did not even get to megaton in 3 hours....

That black and white simulator was pretty neat I thought, but once again, YMMV.

For the record numbers played a big part in all the fallout games, you don't think your success in fo1 and fo2 had anything to do with numbers?

I loved fo1 and fo2 and I also loved fo3, guess that makes me not a hardcore fallout fan, guess what? means jack if I am having fun.

of course if you live in the past and ignore any faults of the original ones you are most likely going to sneer at anything released with the fallout name.

What an open-minded attitude you have.

Having said that. The suggestion that "Fallout 3 and its DLC completely miss the mark on Fallout setting" is completely alien to me. If F3 did one thing right, it was the feel of the Fallout universe. So did also the DLC 2-4.

Feel? It did ok there, sure. Fallout 3 certainly did that better than Fallout 2, whooboy, but that was a mess.

As for DLCs, the Pitt (while not really making any sense) and Broken Steel seem ok enough. Not sure how swamps with Southern Folk Cthulhu-horror or Science Fiction Adventures fits Fallout's feel, tho'.

I don't think fallout has to be isomeric to be fallout though, and to top it off the first person made "me" feel more part of the setting and I felt uped the level of immersion.

First person is nice and all, but it doesn't fit with Fallout. At the core of most games is it's combat and this is were 3 is terrible and were the originals shined. Turned based is not outdated and is still fun, so I don't see why they needed to implement that goofy VATS that is a mockery of the real deal.

If you saw everything there was to see in 3 hours you didn't see much of the areas out there....there are alot of places not on the map that you can walk to. Playing for three hours and writing off the game seems premature, but hey thats your choice. I think I did not even get to megaton in 3 hours....

I walked to a number of locations, but realized they're imitations of the lackluster dungeons of Oblivion. Cave type, Vault type, Building type, Subway type. One after the other all the same with the same "leveled" loot. This is what they call replay value nowadays. It's not the gameplay, its that the enxt time you visit Cave X it might have different shit.

For the record numbers played a big part in all the fallout games, you don't think your success in fo1 and fo2 had anything to do with numbers?

The numbers in the first two games were used in the traditional sense, to determine your chances of success for whatever given task. This is standard RPG stuff that works well. Numbers in 3 only determine if you can attempt something. Why? Why can't I try lockpicking something and discover on my own that it's too hard? Why does this game insist on holding my hands? Is it afraid I'll get too frustrated or something?

I loved fo1 and fo2 and I also loved fo3, guess that makes me not a hardcore fallout fan, guess what? means jack if I am having fun.

More power to you bro and I'm sure you're a great fan of Fallout. I'm not attacking individuals here. I'm attacking the game. I have to ask how you have fun with that game though. I played Oblivion and my experience was just about the same: played off and on for a few hours before realizing that every dungeon was exactly the same. Maybe if the quests were more entertaining, I might be inclined to play on, but IMO they are not.

What an open-minded attitude you have.
Feel? It did ok there, sure. Fallout 3 certainly did that better than Fallout 2, whooboy, but that was a mess.
As for DLCs, the Pitt (while not really making any sense) and Broken Steel seem ok enough. Not sure how swamps with Southern Folk Cthulhu-horror or Science Fiction Adventures fits Fallout's feel, tho'.

There were some horror references in the earlier fallout games, such as Modoc and the Haunted Farm, but bethesda seems to be fans of the cthulhu mythos. As a fan of Lovecraft myself I do not mind.

However, Point Lookout is my personal favorite when it comes to the DLC's. The entire story of Fallout 3 is played out in the capital wastelands. Fallout 1 and 2 are both placed in the wilderness, much of it desert, but there are actually trees in F1/2. Point Lookout offered me some of the wastelands outside the capital ruins, and it felt like fresh air. I wouldn't mind seeing another DLC taking place in wilderness, maybe with a few settlements similar to the smaller cities in the first games. Point Lookout itself (the harbor area) showed me that it's perfectly possible to build small towns in the F3 engine.

Back
Top Bottom