Time to do some retro gaming

Ah, SS1. I believe it's my most replayed PC-era game. Enjoy! I'm one of those few who greatly preferred SS1 over SS2, although the latter is still a great game.

I just enjoyed a little retro gaming pleasure myself playing through Superhero League of Hoboken. The new scalars in DOSBox >= 0.70 are even better than those they had before. 320x200 scaled up to 1600w looked pretty good with the new "High-Quality 3x Magnification" scalar (at least I think it's new, if not I was missing out by using "Advanced MAME 3x" which is good but not as good, IMO).

Hi, I'm with you. The original is far better than the sequel, though I enjoyed it too!!

Doesn't that go both ways though? Why do the German Gothic games have titties everywhere while the US versions have bikinis?

Yep. It's just plain silly. Any adult should be able and allowed to make their own decisions.
Though it sucks even more for US gamers if a foreign game gets cut because due to the language barrier, you can not simply order an original version online. A German original version of Gothic won't do a US gamer much good usually unless that person happens to know enough German to play the game.
That's a little easier for us (or at least for those of us Germans who know enough English to play games). We can still easily buy all US/UK original uncut versions of id games over here (with age verification) from online retailers such as Okaysoft and the games do not even cost more than German games anymore (at least the UK versions... they are frequently even cheaper than the German versions).
It sure would have been nice in case of these classic games to just get the whole id bundle (which is a little over $60, I think) from Steam and to have every single id game only a mouse click away from installation forever and for always.
I hope that Valve will do something about this sooner or later so us Germans who are over 18 can buy all of the games they have on offer and not be excluded from some purchases or be limited to DE versions.

Have you tried buying them though, Jaz?
No, because I already own all the Id games I'm interested in. I see your point, though. Age verification would be nice to have - if it worked.
Not being a fan of downloads at all I wouldn't buy games via Steam, anyway. I hate online verification crap in general. Didn't reinstall Steam since I remade my rig with Vista/XP/Linux not too long ago, and I'm not planning to do so: it's highly unlikely that I'll try to replay HL2 or DM, anyway - probably not even for TF2. When I want to play Day of Defeat, I'll whip out my pre-Steam version.
I still have to finish one PS2 game and play five more, and with my current gaming speed - up to two hours on Sundays - finishing them will take me, like, forever.

Commander Keen 6 is by the way officially unavailable - it was commercial software, and somehow the rights got "blown by the wind". According to an article I've read, no-one knows for sure right now who's got the rights for it now - and whoever it is, the company might not be willing at all to release this game, because it's simply too old and wouldn't sell.

http://storefront.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=news&id=1141&cc=EN

Those childhood memories. I'm replaying Commander Keen and still undecided if I want to go through level upon level of pure FPS in Doom, Quake etc.
I think I'll just leave those games to the memories.

And hopefully Valve will get the Steam Community update released on Monday.

Yep, that is wonderful ... I already have most everything in the collection, some on both Mac & PC ... but I love Steam as a way of getting these classics.

Ah, Apogee games... What about Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure? One of my first PC games...

Same here. Still want to buy the final episodes, only had the shareware-version ...

I cant get DOSbox working with Pool of Radiance, the damned game asks for me to insert a floppy! :(

I cant get DOSbox working with Pool of Radiance, the damned game asks for me to insert a floppy! :(
You should be able to get some help in the VOGONS forums. There's an active DOSBox community there that I've always found helpful. (So helpful, in fact, I've never had to ask a question, I always found my answers with a search.)

http://storefront.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=news&id=1141&cc=EN

Those childhood memories. I'm replaying Commander Keen and still undecided if I want to go through level upon level of pure FPS in Doom, Quake etc.
I think I'll just leave those games to the memories.

And hopefully Valve will get the Steam Community update released on Monday.

I just found out (late, isn't it ?) that they use a version of DOSBOX for this:
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=16285

Yes, and that has been mentioned in the thread, so yes, you are a bit late. :D

But I was also very surprised to see this happen. If we are going beyond the whole license problematic, where Valve didn't fulfill it in the beginning, then I have a very positive attitude towards this.

Yesterday I managed to get the first part of the ROA games running under Mac OS X.
(Via DOSBOX.)
I'm currently using this machine because my PC's down and my sister is on vacation.

Back
Top Bottom