Obama's new speech about Israel / Palestine

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch
Obama said in his new speech that the border of 1967 should be kept and that both Israel and Palestine need to accept each others states.

Is it just me or is Obama improving? Now he he manage to pull out of Afghanistian and Iraq in a controlled way without causing chaos, perhaps he'll deserve that peace prize in the end?

Of course several high up people were fast to accuse him of abandoning and breaking promises to Israel. Don't they see that this is a chance to win, for both sides?

@ Tragos: Yeah, you have the right to say whatever you want. doesn't mean you should do it. Your country might have saved as many Jews as possible, but I'm guessing you wouldn't have since you think Jews control the world!

This is the kind of things people said about Jews in NAZI-Germany before they elected Hitler to power and before they started sending Jews to camps. Jews control this, Jews control that...

Jews shouldn't control this and shouldn't control that,, just because they're Jews. Jews should die... you do know all of this went from rhetoric to practice in just a few years !

@GG: The reason a lot of people are against this are many, some directly to do with Israel and some indirectly.
Some direct ones would be:
- They don't believe that returning to 1967 borders is a good thing to do, simply by viewing what Palestinians did to Gaza after Israel withdrew several years ago.
- They don't believe that returning to 1967 borders is good, because many Israelis now live beyond them and taking them away would result in something similar to what Jews have seen happen to them for the past 2000 years in Europe.
- Obama didn't say anything specific about what would happen to Jerusalem, which is one of the thorniest issues. I do not see Israel leaving that into Palestinians' hands at all, not even for 500 billion dollars in return. Jews were not allowed access to to East Jerusalem when it was in control of Jordan and I don't see Hamas letting Jews in without killing them.

Indirect ones would be:
- They think that Israel is the only 'Western' state in the whole of the Middle East and going back to 1967 borders means it will be vulnerable from attack from all sides with surprise reinforcements from Lebanon which can come in quite easily via the Jordan River if not held by Israel.
- They think that the Palestinians will not uphold any peace deal, since Hamas' charter still has not changed and still calls for Israel's destruction.
- Going back to 1967 borders is impractical at best. This would mean displacing at least 300000 people.

SO, this would basically only be a win for Palestinians, at least in the short-to-medium terms.... Long-term u might be right. But long-term could mean 50-100 years from now. No one looks that far ahead.

I couldn't care less, go tell that to those who have the Jew killing guilt , my nation fought the nazis and saved as many Jews as possible so i have the right to say whatever i want.

Your nationality gives you no right at all. If being born is your only achievement you are a looser and is recognized as a such even by your own countrymen.

No great surprise seeing Pladio wading in here.

Haven't seen the full text of the speech but it'll be interesting to see how this goes. I think the 1967 borders are unrealistic but Netanyahu has been absolutely taking the piss with the ongoing settlement activity, I'd be extremely keen to see Obama taking a tough line with them.

Pladio @ JemyM

You know , in my post i used the word Israeli because the OP 's topic was about Israel, it is common people to label anti-Semites all those who criticize Israel.
Jews encourage this because "Europe must never forget the stain they got for killing so many of us" , well i come from the part of Europe who doesn't have any stain and i can piss on Israel as much as i want.
If putting labels here and there makes you feel secure it is okay for me but everyone knows that during the war and occupation Greeks killed Nazis in every possible and impossible way .

Did i ever claimed that Jews rule the world ? NO but of course the label comes with a list of things that i should have said or going to say in the future .

On topic i think that both Israelis and Palestinians are nuts , Obama and the rest can say whatever they want those people will not stop until the very last of either is dead.

@ Tragos: No, you didn't say Jews ruled the world, but you did say all US politicians need to be approved by AIPAC, which is almost uniquely a Jewish organization. But if you prefer, I apologize for speaking out of turn and equaling your comment to hatred to Jews.

On the other hand, claiming that AIPAC approves candidates for US public office is an outrageous statement in itself. As if one organization could do that (one that has no authority to do so).
That doesn't mean anything either, because if AIPAC had their say, I'm pretty sure McCain would have been the one elected, even with Palin since they both would have defended Israel's decisions (whatever they would have been) till the bitter end. Obama on the other hand was the one who was always badly regarded by AIPAC, claiming from the start that he was against all settlement activity.

On the issue of you being allowed to hate-monger just because you're Greek is a stupidity in and of itself. Does that mean Belgians or French are not allowed to say things ? This is utter rubbish.

@ Benedict: Been a while since you've participated in this :)
Last time I remember, I asked why you were more involved in the conflict in Israel than that in Sri Lanka... You didn't seem to exactly know why, but you did start to look more into it. I hope you appreciate I wasn't trying to offend you at the time and that I was merely trying to demonstrate that Israel seems to hit nerves it shouldn't among British people who have more of a connection to India/Pakistan and Sri Lanka than they ever did to Israel.

About Obama taking a tough line. I don't think he can afford to take too much of a tough line. As much as I am telling Tragos that AIPAC does not approve candidates, they do lash out tons of money to candidates and while Obama is not see in the best of lights by AIPAC and they would probably go with most Republicans, I don't see them going with Palin or Trump-like characters. So in the worst of two evils scenario, Obama seems like the best choice now. Also, Obama has been hitting high in polls lately and focusing on something relatively small scale like Israel when thousands are being killed in the rest of the Middle East or in danger of being killed seems like the wrong way to take things.

So, I don't think there will be any more pressure by Obama on Israel, not unless he wins his second term.
Also, the US military is of the mind that if Israel is gone they would have more trouble and not less, so I think most presidents in the past decades have been advised to support Israel.

If putting labels here and there makes you feel secure it is okay for me but everyone knows that during the war and occupation Greeks killed Nazis in every possible and impossible way .

Danes and Swedes have killed eachother for hundreds of years, but you do not see me claiming to have a grudge against DArtagnan due to that issue, do you?

Nations is a meaningless divider. As meaningless as religious dividers. People have killed eachother for such artificial and meaningless labels and it's painful to see someone 2011 who claim to carry rights induced to him/her due to having a nationality. You aren't your grandparents. You have probably not even been in a war.

Pladio @ JemyM

You still didn't get my point , i didn't hate monger i just refuse the "thu shalt not criticize Israel" because of what Nazis did to them 40 years before i was born.

@Pladio AIPAC does not only have a say , they are controlling the big financial "supporters" and many of the media , you believe that it is possible for someone to run without their consent i think not, let's just agree that we disagree

@JemyM But you see reasonable criticizing as hate mongering and make the same imaginary connections with the mainstream central European political authorities.

There are leftist Israelis that do not agree with what AIPAC or their Government are doing , i guess they are anti Semitic hate mongers too.

@GothicGothicness apologies for hijacking your thread, i will post no more here .

Pladio @ JemyM

You still didn't get my point , i didn't hate monger i just refuse the "thu shalt not criticize Israel" because of what Nazis did to them 40 years before i was born.

But you weren't criticizing Israel. Your point wasn't about criticizing Israel at all! you were talking about US politicians, not Israeli/Palestinian politics. you were not talking about the article and you were not talking about what Obama said. So, yes, you were hate-mongering.

@Pladio AIPAC does not only have a say , they are controlling the big financial "supporters" and many of the media , you believe that it is possible for someone to run without their consent i think not, let's just agree that we disagree

Then why do you come to this forum if not to discuss things ?
I have said you are wrong and have provided arguments for it. All you're doing is sticking your fingers in your ears and singing lalalala loudly, so as not to hear them.

@JemyM But you see reasonable criticizing as hate mongering and make the same imaginary connections with the mainstream central European political authorities.

There are leftist Israelis that do not agree with what AIPAC or their Government are doing , i guess they are anti Semitic hate mongers too.

@GothicGothicness apologies for hijacking your thread, i will post no more here .

And the leftists have all the right to disagree with what their government is doing and no it does not make them anti-Semites. they however do not spread rumors about how AIPAC controls all of US politics, which you have done. Which in the very least makes you a conspiracy theorist and at the very worst makes you a hate-monger.

Well this discussion went in the pisser real quick!

To the original topic though, I'm very happy to see Obama take that stance. With any luck, he'll actually do something about it too.

You know, I'd like to say, that while AIPAC is not the secret Jewish conspiracy to control the US like some claim it is, it does have an inordinate amount of influence on determining US foreign policy and it makes very ... odd demands of things, sometimes.

@Rith: See, your opinion, is not the same hate-mongering Tragos sells and is something that is derived from real life situations. AIPAC's influence comes from some its members who are wealthy and politically active. It's odd demands come from some of its members.

I think the citizens of Israel would rise up against any gov't which advocated returning the borders and their military would support them. It ain't gonna happen!! I won't get into the issue of whether or not Palestine/Palestinians really exist historically as a nation, but if you check it out, they don't.

@ Benedict: Been a while since you've participated in this :)
Last time I remember, I asked why you were more involved in the conflict in Israel than that in Sri Lanka… You didn't seem to exactly know why, but you did start to look more into it. I hope you appreciate I wasn't trying to offend you at the time and that I was merely trying to demonstrate that Israel seems to hit nerves it shouldn't among British people who have more of a connection to India/Pakistan and Sri Lanka than they ever did to Israel.

Yeah, been quite busy lately. No offence taken certainly, as for Israel hitting certain nerves it shouldn't it's hardly surprising, we have far more in the way of cultural, diplomatic and trade links with them than we do with Sri Lanka. If Israel wanted to write itself off as a basket case state with no regard for human rights and was willing to be treated like one I'm sure nobody would get particularly incensed but they don't so it's not surprising that people expect slightly better of them.

Plus when Sri Lanka is cracking down you don't get a massive PR counteroffensive claiming that they're entirely reasonable to do so sucking up half the UK media.

About Obama taking a tough line. I don't think he can afford to take too much of a tough line. As much as I am telling Tragos that AIPAC does not approve candidates, they do lash out tons of money to candidates and while Obama is not see in the best of lights by AIPAC and they would probably go with most Republicans, I don't see them going with Palin or Trump-like characters. So in the worst of two evils scenario, Obama seems like the best choice now. Also, Obama has been hitting high in polls lately and focusing on something relatively small scale like Israel when thousands are being killed in the rest of the Middle East or in danger of being killed seems like the wrong way to take things.

So, I don't think there will be any more pressure by Obama on Israel, not unless he wins his second term.
Also, the US military is of the mind that if Israel is gone they would have more trouble and not less, so I think most presidents in the past decades have been advised to support Israel.

Oh I know there's plenty of danger for Obama in taking a tough line but I'm really pleased to see someone even trying.

Out of interest where do you stand on settlement building? Do you think Netanyahu is right to just be cracking on with it?

Back
Top Bottom