Shenmue 3 - The Most Funded Kickstarter Campaign

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Kickstarter for the open world action adventure Shenmue 3 is over. With 69.320 supporters and $6.333.295 amassed the campaign is the most funded Kickstarter campaign ever.

Congratulations!

More information.

The game is scheduled for December 2017.

Been playing RPGs since the 80s and I never even heard of this game.

Didn't heard of this one, either. I think it's an J-RPG, that's why ?

I'm one of backers on this project.
Also never heard about previous games.
And while I'm pretty sure many fans of previous installments supported it on nostalgia basis, others who didn't play old games had enough reasons to back this one.

Reasons why I backed it and perhaps some other people too?
- Loved the project presentation
- Noticed it's not a phonegame nor random generator based game
- Spotted there is no multiplayer bloatware planned, nor milk'em'dry DLC
- It's supposed to take use of Unreal 4
- I adore japanese VO extreme emotional outbursts

Why I backed it with minimal pledge for digital game and not higher?
- It's unclear if it'll contain mandatory grinding or not, so I'm not risking it

The best way I can compare this is that its a Baldurs Gate with Final Fantasy feel of the East. Not for gameplay, but for nostalgia. I played 1&2. They were not without flaws and they are great games. It will be interesting to see if the creator is doing a cash grab (and honestly who could blame him so many years after).

Either way, I like the concept, I like the original story. As long as they don't try and turn it into Shenmue Online I'm good. It was a cheap investment.

Last edited:
This is supposed to be the conclusion to the story of the series and if I'm correct the focus of this one is on the story. So I think you will have to play the first two to fully enjoy this one.

I think to Remember Shenmue 1 was released for Dreamcast, or some SEGA console. At the time I didn't have a Dreamcast, and the game didn't really attract me very much, seemed to be a kind of Sim RPG with quick events in between, much like Heavy Rain was later on PS3.

The game plays nothing like Baldur's Gate or Final Fantasy that other people mention in posts Above. And mean, really, the way the game plays, has -nothing- to do with those titles, I hope you won't get misled. As I said, think of Heavy Rain for PS3 and you'll have an accurate idea of what to expect. It's not a bad game mechanic, but it's not for everyone either.

I'm really not excited by this game, but we'll see when it's released.

Isn't Star Citizen the biggest crowd funded game ever? Isn't that at like 80m now? Just wondering.

This is supposed to be the conclusion to the story of the series and if I'm correct the focus of this one is on the story. So I think you will have to play the first two to fully enjoy this one.

That might be difficult if you have a PC. I think the two previous titles were console only.

But well done to them!

My memories of shenmue are not fond ones. Too much walking doing nothing or mundane tasks and too many QTE's.

Ouch!
I despise QTE, here's hope if there is some in the game, it won't be much of it.

That might be difficult if you have a PC. I think the two previous titles were console only.

But well done to them!

Yup, they were on Dreamcast (the second one was also on original Xbox, I just googled it). You could always try with emulators. I remember trying the first one that way and it didn't have any major issues. But of course, you will never have the same experience like on the real hardware.

I didn't like it for the same reasons like sakichop, and I also found the camera position odd.

Ouch!
I despise QTE, here's hope if there is some in the game, it won't be much of it.

Good luck with that one, considering the author is the "Father of the QTE."

Last edited:
I don't recall there being a great deal of RPG content in original Shenmue games on the DC. You progressed as a fighter, but basically you improved as a kung-fu fighter. It was an early open-world game with some very frustrating quicktime events. People seemed to like that you could leave the main story and become a forklift driver etc and various other things to earn money. There weren't many open-world type games back then.

The game was, I think, designed as sort of "Virtua-Fighter-Adventure/RPG" (original designer came from Virtua-Fighter). Certain combat had more akin to a 3D beat'em'up than a (J)RPG.

I definately wouldn't class Shenmue as a JRPG in the normal sense (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Tales Of etc). More of a hybrid fighter-open-world-adventure.

I didn't back this one, despite owning the originals on Dreamcast, because they never really captured my interest and I kept failing the QTEs. I really just ended up owning them for the included Sega arcade games (OutRun etc could be played in-game).

With 69.320 supporters and $6.333.295 amassed the campaign is the most funded Kickstarter campaign ever.

This is incorrect.

The Pebble Watch raised more than $20,000,000.
The Coolest Cooler raised more than $13,000,000.
The Pebble E-Paper raised more than $10,000,000.
The game "Exploding Kittens" raised almost $9,000,000.
The Ouya game console raised almost $9,000,000.

source: https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/most-funded

Make it "most funded computer game" then :p

As mentioned before - I don't get the appeal, the video material they showed looks kinda cheap and amateurish.

And of course then there is the whole "What does this thing on kickstarter?" debate.

My memories of shenmue are not fond ones. Too much walking doing nothing or mundane tasks and too many QTE's.

Indeed. That is the memory of most of us who remember properly.

And sadly, Yu has seemed to double-down on QTEs: “I’d like to present a new QTE. Something elaborate, yet easily playable by just about anyone,” says Suzuki. “Instead of simply winning by pressing buttons in a timely manner, I’d like to make something that will have people win fights by making correct judgements.”

I'm sorry to bring negativity here...but I just don't see why Shenmue is a series worth remembering. But I fully admit I strongly dislike melodramatic Japanese screaming.

Back
Top Bottom