14. The Matrix
15. A Shot in the Dark

Honourable mentions:

Flash Gordon
Lord of the Rings
Carry on Screaming

Have I missed any ?

I'll probably remember later...

I don't see The Sound of Music on your list!! :) And none of them are bigger than Ben Hur or as revolutionary as Star Wars!!!!

It's the American education system; it forgot to teach people to count!! :D

In no real order:

- Lock stock and to smoking barrels.
- The Watchmen(Ultimate Cut)
- Fight Club
- The Grand Budapest hotel
- What we do in the Shadows
- Matrix
- Zoolander
- Jackie Brown
- Natural Born Killers
- Pan's labyrinth

I am sure there a bunch more.

law abiding citizen would have made the list until the ending. Hollywood just couldn't keep their hands out of it.

I did indeed forget to list all of those mentioned movies, they all should be in my top 10 as well, thanks for reminding me!

Apart from The Sound Of Music and Pan's Labyrinth, I thought they were cack. And I've never seen What We Do In The Shadows, but looking at IMDB it's 2015, so how will I know if it's an all-timer if I haven't had at least 5 years to mull it over?

Edit: And Fight Club sucks. Seriously, it's cack as well.

What We Do In The Shadows,

If you have seen More Bad News or Spinal Tap and liked them you will love this movie.

I thought The Dirty Dozen was a great movie after I first saw it, but I now think its cack. Time is important for this discussion and should be used wisely, with that unique benefit of long-term hindsight. I liked Saving Private Ryan, but I'm no longer motivated to watch it again, if it was on tele in a Hotel room I might even flick channels if 'something better' was on.

I thought The Dirty Dozen was a great movie after I first saw it, but I now think its cack. Time is important for this discussion and should be used wisely, with that unique benefit of long-term hindsight. I liked Saving Private Ryan, but I'm no longer motivated to watch it again, if it was on tele in a Hotel room I might even flick channels if 'something better' was on.

Lots of movies I will watch if on:

Shooter
Good Fellows
movies like that...

Not a big fan of Saving Private Ryan as I can't stand Tom Hanks or any of his movies.

I haven't seen Dark City, or if I have I can't remember that I've seen it. On it's IMDB page it's main People Who Liked This Also Liked was Cube, now there's a movie that's definitely in my top 10. Gattaca, not so much. I'll immediately add it to my memory list of things to watch.

When I first saw your reply I thought you were talking about The City of Lost Children, I've no idea why, now there's a movie that wanted to be on my top 10 but just didn't work, which is a shame because Delicatessen is most definitely on my top 10.

In no order...

Ghostbusters (The original 1984, for future reference after the new one comes out)
Blues Brothers (AKA How I learned to Drive)
The Hogfather (based on Terry Pratchett's book of the same name. Read it. Now.)
Murder By Death (Peter Sellers, Peter Falk, and David Niven, in one movie)
Bringing Up Baby
The Cheap Detective
Support Your Local Sherriff
Evil Roy Slade
The Addams Family

The older I get, the less I care for heavy violence in my movies. I'll still watch the cheesy action flicks, but I'll almost always default to comedies if I just want to watch something. And I wonder just what exactly is wrong with someone if they like horror flicks. Such as Elf, or pretty much anything with Ben Affleck or Seth Rogen.

Horror Movies:

-House of a 1000 corpses
-Devils rejects
-Sinister
-Texas Chainsaw Massacres
-Spit on my grave
-The Shinning
-Halloween II(Rob Zombie director)
-Donnie Darko
-The Babadook
-Some call Pan's Labyrinth a horror movie..
-Cujo(I have always owned a St. Bernard since I was 8 so this one sort of freaked me out.

Not sorted in any way:
Dark City (in that regard I can also recommend the Dark City themed track from Diary of Dreams)
Great Movie with great atmosphere. And Jennifer Connelly is one of the very few actresses who I actually directly recognize in every movie
Old Men in New Cars (english Title) / In China Essen sie Hunde (German Title) / I Kina spiser de hunde (Danish original title)
One of the best dark comedy movies ever made.
The Big Lebowsky There is a real religion based on "The Dude" - enough said. ^^
K-Pax Basically a similar story as "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" with Nicholson. This one is with Kevin Spacey and I found it more enjoyable. Drama.
Bicentennial Man Drama / Love Story with Robin Williams playing a Robot which develops feelings. Shows philosophical questions.
Star Dust Fairytale / Lovestory
Charly and the Chocolate Factory Very unique comedy movie. Imho Johnny Depps best role.
Serendipity Lovestory
Princess Bride Great Fantasy Comedy Movie everyone should have seen
Ghost Dog Forest Whittaker as Contract killer, working for the Mafia, following the Codex of the samurai. Slow, dark and very moving movie.

-Conan the Barbarian
-Excalibur
-12 Monkeys
-Godzilla (1954)
-Dawn of the Dead (original)
-Unforgiven
-Empire Strikes Back
-Wizard of Oz
-Caddyshack
-Planet of the Apes
-Jaws
-Fellowship of the Ring
-The Good the Bad the Ugly
-Night of the Living Dead
-The Road Warrior
-Braveheart
-Wicker Man (original)
-Omega Man
-Slap Shot
-Enter the Dragon

I could go on :) but these movies have given me the most pleasure and have made me a life long fan of cinema. Tell me that is not a nerd boy list and I am proud of it.

Hmm, just 'SF' in no order
- Dark Star
- Empire Strikes Back
- Silent Running
- Sleeper
- THX1138 just for the car 'chase' scene
- solaris
- metropolis
- matrix
- blade runner
- clockwork orange
- alien

Solaris was quite an interesting experience. The russian one from 1972 though. Haven't seen the new one.

Back
Top Bottom