DX:HR - Level Design Philoshophy #2

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Eidos Montreal posted the second part of the Level Design Philosophy this week for Deus Ex: Human Revolution with Lead Level Designer René-Martin Pauzé.
CYBERPUNK

We took considerable time to analyze and understand the cyberpunk theme, which would heavily influence the level layout creation and mission structure.

This theme is set in the near-future and heavily focuses on high technology and dystopian society. The locations characterizing this theme are generally based on:

High Technology Environments :

• Multinational corporations HQ
  • Scientific Laboratories
  • Secret Compounds
Dystopian Environments :

• Urban environments (Rooftop, Street, Alley, etc.)
  • Underground environments (Sewers, Catacombs, etc.)
  • Industrial Complex
More information.

Last edited:
Why hasn't another Deus Ex game from this team been announced already (DE:The Fall doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned) ?

Human Revolution was great and came out 3.5 years ago (and Thief 2014 was released a year ago).

Why hasn't another Deus Ex game from this team been announced already (DE:The Fall doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned) ?

They were hard at work on their own game engine for PC and the new consoles: Dawn. Deus Ex is the only game series mentioned in the announcement of the engine last December.

Also, going by all the blogs currently being posted, I expect a DX4 announcement in a few months. It's like they just got out of hibernation.

Very great article! Lots of detail and insight into one of the best-designed games of the last 5 years. But yes, why are they posting these now???

Crossing my fingers in the hope that they're posting this stuff as a subtle lead-in to later announcing a sequel's on the way.

Technically, they already announced a sequel is on the way last October whey they posted a concept art with the following description:

[concept art] that shows trans-humanism segregation, which is a backdrop to our vision for the next Deus Ex. It represents a "ghetto-city' voluntarily built in order to separate the classes. The people in this segregated class have reshaped their environment, nostalgic for their ideal of Cyber Renaissance. This dark and dystopian vision sets the tone for things to come in Deus Ex.

We just don't know the name of the game and when it is coming (my guess would be ~2 years).

A little off topic but... is DX: The Fall really that bad? It's been sitting in my Steam library for some time, but I've never played it. I was shocked to see it has a user rating of 2.7 on Metacritic.

The gameplay in dx:fall feels very simplified compared to dx:hr. You should try it, but it is a phonegame, so don't expect anything more. After all they orginally released it for ipad and only later it was ported on pc.

Gamespot summed it nicely in this review

Unfortunately, on the PC, these tablet origins mean we get the worst of both worlds—a game that feels like a clunky port, and one that still suffers from the technical restrictions of a tablet even though those restrictions don't exist on PC hardware. The Fall is a game that captures the look and feel of Human Revolution but is so unpolished and so massively reduced in scope that it's hard to immerse yourself in the world.
and
This PC port fails to take advantage of the PC's increased technical power and greater control fidelity to adequately smooth over the game's prior tablet limitations. The story feels like it's attempting to fill in some blanks regarding Human Revolution's underdeveloped boss characters, but the game ends well before it has the chance to do so. At least nFusion had the mercy to not include any boss fights.

Compared to The Fall a game like Invisible War is a classic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom