Dungeon Lords-some newb help please?

Lost Sheep

Watcher
Playing a warrior and now in abandoned theater. Need some help please.

1.In middle of repair/identify window there is a slider bar where you can slide a skull back and forth.What does that do?

2.What do you have to do to learn identify skill?

3.If you leave theater to get items ID'ed can you return to complete the area?

I don't believe you can go back - to be honest, I stopped playing the game and don't remember accurately. Last I played, the repair skill simply didn't work. Hopefully someone else can do better.

I hope you are playing the Collector's Edition - or at least have patched to 1.4 on the original. If you have then identifying works automatically and you can also repair items. I don't remember the slider ...

And once you leave the theater you cannot return.

I actually thought you could return to the Theater, since you get the key, though I never really needed to go back.
If you have the key to leave, this means you must have defeated everything, so your just collecting loot, you could Save, Exit and try to reenter. :)

Seems Identify was based on Intelligence or maybe I am confusing DL with another game it's been more than a year, since I have played.

Can't remember about the Slider either, is there some sort of pop-up when you mouse over?

If no one here knows you can try posting in GameBanshee, as they have the most active DL crowd and member Steve2d has a very nice Save Game Editor which is very handy when and if quests break.

Here is a link to the main DL forum which includes the Stickied, Editor. :)
http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/dungeon-lords-93/

1.In middle of repair/identify window there is a slider bar where you can slide a skull back and forth.What does that do?
Nothing. One of the many UI uglies this game suffers from, sadly.

2.What do you have to do to learn identify skill?
You have to choose a class that has that skill. Check Gamebanshees excellent guide section to find out which classes give you the Identify skill. Or, if you've bought the CE, I think there is a listing of the classes in the back of the manual with what skills each class adds to your character.

3.If you leave theater to get items ID'ed can you return to complete the area?
I think so, but to open the door to get out, I'm pretty sure you have to get the key from the end boss, so by then there's not much reason to return. You may as well collect all the loot first and then leave.

Also, in general, Gamebashee's DL site and forums are an excellent resource where you should be able to get most if not all the answers you need.

WOW!
As a new member of the forum I'm most impressed (and grateful) for the speed and quality of the replies to my questions.
Thanks a lot to all who replied,your replies are most helpful!

Yes,I am playing the collector's edition,bought cheaply on a whim,and it's not bad so far.
I'll be sure to check out Gamebanshee,as suggested, (thanks for the link) and I'm sure I'll be back here soon!

After some more time with the Dungeon Lords demo I remain befuddled about some things.

M is supposed to "toggle automap", but doesnt seem to have any effect. Do I need my char to carry a map item for it to work?

How do you target a particular enemy? The timing of my strikes is distinctly off, and given that the connection of blows dont seem to be totally random I get the feeling I am missing something. Or is there no targetting per se but rather weapons hitting anything that is at a particular distance and within the "swing angle" of the attack move?

How do you pick locks and disarm traps? When I try to access a chest and click disarm or bash all I get is a timer and a progress bar on a dialog that doesnt seem to respond to any particular clicking. are you actually supposed to do anything at that stage, or is the rate of failure purely based on the characters skill level?

Is there any way to assign spells to quickslots?

EDIT: Figured out the lockpicking, but I must say that I dont enjoy that particular minigame. What are the benefits of increasing your lockpicking skill?

After some more time with the Dungeon Lords demo I remain befuddled about some things.
M is supposed to "toggle automap", but doesnt seem to have any effect. Do I need my char to carry a map item for it to work?

The demo is based on the pre-patched code, so it will be the most buggy and be missing the most features. The minimap is one of the latter.

How do you target a particular enemy? The timing of my strikes is distinctly off, and given that the connection of blows dont seem to be totally random I get the feeling I am missing something. Or is there no targetting per se but rather weapons hitting anything that is at a particular distance and within the "swing angle" of the attack move?

The hitting is contact-based, meaning you have to actually hit the baddie with your sword. Make sure your close enough. Try moving the camera to an angle mostly above the fight to see how close you are. That might help you get the hang of it. It takes a bit of practice. One more thing, monsters do have a chance to parry your hit, so if you see a puff of grey smoke, it means your hit was parried and didn't cause any damage.

How do you pick locks and disarm traps? When I try to access a chest and click disarm or bash all I get is a timer and a progress bar on a dialog that doesnt seem to respond to any particular clicking. are you actually supposed to do anything at that stage, or is the rate of failure purely based on the characters skill level?

EDIT: Figured out the lockpicking, but I must say that I dont enjoy that particular minigame. What are the benefits of increasing your lockpicking skill?

The level of the lock/trap is first checked against your inspect traps skill which determines how much of the symbols you can see before the timer bar starts. Once you've started the timer bar, the speed at which the bar moves across the symbols depends, again, on the level of the lock/trap, but this time compared to your pick locks skill. The higher your inspect, the more clearly you'll see the symbols before the bar starts. The higher your lockpick, the slower the bar will move. Of course, you could always just Bash it. The higher your strength in comparison to the level of the lock/trap, the better random chance you'll have of opening it.

Is there any way to assign spells to quickslots?

When in your character screen ('C', I believe), hover over a given spell and hit the number you want it assign to. Once in game, it's a bit tricker and, again, was improved a bit after the demo was released. Bascially, if it's an instant effect spell, such as firing a fireball, when you hit the number it will simply fire away. For other types of spells, you'll have to have the spell bar up (which I think is 'F'). But when you have it up, you can't swing normally. And, in the demo, you can't toggle it off with 'F'. You have to hit another key to turn it off, just can't remember which one off the top of my head.

Finally started some serious coop yesterday. Taking on mobs together is fun, even though our current tactics are limited to one player keeping the enemy busy while the other retreats for healing.

According to the manual the only party-wide spells are rune buffs.

Party dynamics are in all not very well implemented. We havent figured out how to share quest rewards (XP and honour points are inconsequential, those can be edited afterwards if we feel cheated, but when my mage gf gets a celestial crystal that my adept could use thats a major turnoff). Since there's only crap on TV tonight we'll probably try to find some workaround for these poor implementations tonight.

And we thought the respawning would end once in the city. Bummer. At least the (immortal???) guards keep all those snakes and rats busy while we look at our character screens.

We havent figured out how to share quest rewards (XP and honour points are inconsequential, those can be edited afterwards if we feel cheated, but when my mage gf gets a celestial crystal that my adept could use thats a major turnoff).
You both have to talk to the quest giver and receive the quest and then both talk to them afterward to get the reward. Lame, but true.

And we thought the respawning would end once in the city. Bummer. At least the (immortal???) guards keep all those snakes and rats busy while we look at our character screens.

The spawning, NEVER STOPS.... :uhoh:

I actually saw a bundle containing Dungeon Lords CE and Gothic 3 on the same DVD at Circuit City the other day. It was called the "RPG Pack" or something similar and it was $29.99.

I actually saw a bundle containing Dungeon Lords CE and Gothic 3 on the same DVD at Circuit City the other day. It was called the "RPG Pack" or something similar and it was $29.99.

Wow. If you don't have either and you like 3rd person, actiony-combat, single hero RPGs, that is a HELL of a deal!!

Yeah I thought it looked pretty good, but I already have 1 copy of Gothic 3 and I'll be getting another when I purchase Gothic Universe.

I wouldn't mind getting Dungeon Lords CE, but I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it.

You both have to talk to the quest giver and receive the quest and then both talk to them afterward to get the reward. Lame, but true.

Lame but bugged. Most of the time we can get two rewards and quests, but sometimes the game seems to forget about one of the players. This proved pretty fatal for one of hour guild quests. The game is event driven to the border of the absurd, and when triggers break you are screwed:(

My gf (started out as mage) hosts the game and joined the celestial order (aiming for sisterhood later but they dont have a first tier class and some minor healing ability seemed useful) after helping seera augustus (a quest that we both received), while my character started out as an adept (aims to be a paladin later). We went to help augustus but only she could get any reward. Then we both received the initiation quest for the celestial order, put two bloody candles in place, go back, and while she gets a heraldry bonus and options to gain second tier classes I only get the message "go see seer augustus", who supposedly is dead but still stands in his room. I do get a summon of some sort for the fellow and try to talk to him, but he only delivers crap lines about last breaths and the like. My Paladin plans are thus made impossible as I cant seem to fix this using the editor. The alternative is to play my character in singleplayer and go through some 5-10 hours of butchery just to complete a quest that I've done already. And we dont have any old savegame from just before the incident. I'm pretty pissed at the game at this moment... The only hope would be if the stupid guildmaster in Arindale acts more rational (e g if the broken trigger isnt "guildwide" but limited to mr Dimwit in Fargrove).

EDIT: And the shops seem to be an exception to the respawning.

Did you try saving the game right there, and then loading it up with only your character and trying to get the reward then?

I wouldn't mind getting Dungeon Lords CE, but I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it.

I also wouldn't mind getting paid $10 per hour if I were forced to submit my poor self to the infinite crap that is the Dungeon Turds CE :biggrin: .

I've never played DL CE, only an old demo of the original version. I've heard quite a few people say that the CE is improved enough to at least get a few hours of fun out of it.

Keep in mind they didn't say it was actually a good game, just that it was worth a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom