What games are you playing now?

The combat so far has played like a gymnastics exercise.
Yea... That's a kind of combat mainstream critics drool over in mainstream games but when an indie game has it, then critics say screw arcadey combat and are nitpicking the story, quests and etc.

Critics aside, it's a good game worth every penny.

I've enjoyed what I've seen from it, though it seems simple in many ways compared to Risen 3, for example. I'm also having a hell of a time getting it to save. I double click on an empty save box and it doesn't look like it does anything at all. However, if I exit out, there is sometimes a new save there, sometimes not. Also the manual doesn't mention a quicksave but I think one of the buttons across the top is doing one. I'm just not sure which.....

I only got around to playing Xeen after the later ones, so you can't blame that on nostalgia. Well, not directly, at least. I think a lot of people might be turned off by the cartoony graphics and weird world, but the pen and paper games of the day were usually quite absurd and Xeen captures that same sort of feeling. I think that's one of the problems with tv, movies, and games these days: everything takes itself so damn seriously.

The cartoony art style is definitely a turn-off for me. Other than that, it's just really dated. I love the midi bgm though.

Playing M&M X has made me want to play the older titles more though. The only problem is how time consuming M&M games are. :)

Last edited:
Fallout 2. With Restoration Project and High Resolution Patch 4.1.8 with Zoom.

Really enjoying it. The zoom function is really great to have, glad i discovered this mod after some googling :)

Xenonauts. Just started out so i'm now watching youtube vids to get a better grasp of things. Never was a fan of X-com (new or old), but its one of those game i'm pretty sure i would love if i just get into it..

I started Dark souls… again (played when it was with the old version GFWL but none of my characters got to NG+ because i tend to kill and explore everything).
So.. I've deleted them all and started fresh this time with a strength build in mind (all of the others where dex/range/weapon buff kind of :)) )

No idea why but this game is so addictive (I already had 200+hours in it).. also because of the new steam work base u get a lot of invasions and summon signs for help / duel. So yeah.. the community is very alive.

Well, I got 2W2 worldmerge working by using a pirated version instead of my legitimate Steam version. Something to do with where it's installed, apparently.

I'm having a hard time getting into it, because of an awful UI and a really strange uncanny valley feeling. The animations and characters are... odd, somehow. Hard to describe.

But I'll give it a shot when I have the time :)

You guys quit picking on my Two Worlds :)

Batman Arkham Asylum did not grab me hard enough to not be distracted by some other games I installed and started a few months ago and never finished so I went back to my Doom 3 BFG playthrough which I abandoned somewhere still in the early Alpha Labs part just a couple hours into the game last year.
I'm close to the end now but had to really force myself to keep playing. It's a very monotonous and very crappy game IMHO.

The scares are completely lost on me. After playing many so called horror shooters a bit of moaning and growling in the dark leaves me cold. The sudden trigger point spawns where creatures break out of wall tiles behind or right next to you are more of a nuisance than scary.
In fact, it has really started to piss me off and I will never play a shooter with this sort of retarded random spawn system ever again. No corridor, no area seems to ever stay cleared and when you're forced to backtrack, there is guaranteed to be new spawns coming out of nowhere every time. It's just stupid and leads to trial&error gameplay at times. I'm playing on Veteran difficulty so I have to reload when losing too much health. No point playing on with 3 health left and no health packs or med stations in sight.

The gameplay is also way too retro and classic. There are zero puzzles, zero physics, no gimmicks worth mentioning, no destructible environment, nothing clever or to shake things up a little bit at all. Just run & gun and gun & run in way too samey looking corridors.
Now this is definitely a shooter that should have been a six or eight hour long experience at most but Steam says I'm at 17 hours now (though I've played maybe an hour of the included classic Doom or Doom 2 so it was not all Doom 3 time). That's at least 10 hours too long so far. It has felt like a complete drag and I can't wait for it to end.

I started a new game of EU4 as Portugal and I've colonised most of Brasil and the Carribean. I'm also taking over Columbia right now.

I don't feel like the colonising nation is for me though. I find it quite bland to be honest and maybe it would get more interesting in the very long run, but for now, I feel like I'm not doing much.

I've also got most of Morroco's territory and some swathes of Western Sub-Saharan Africa.
I am in a bit of a pickle with regards to what to do next.

Should I stop and play as a new country ? Or continue and wait for the mid-game where my colonies should prove useful in vanquishing Spain ?

As usual, I'm playing a bit of everything.

Diablo 3 on PS4 has gotten a lot of playtime, mostly because both my brother and my GF absolutely love it - and it's great for couch co-op. I'm not overly in love with it at this point, but it's still the current best in its particular genre. I've played a lot of others recently, including Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, Van Helsing, Torchlight 2 and Titan Quest - and while those are all good, Diablo 3 is simply the better experience.

I've also played some Pillars of Eternity (latest version: 435), but I fear I can't get past the combat. It's just terrible going with RTwP without AI scripts. It means you have to pause CONSTANTLY - and because of the atrocious pathfinding, you can't really rely on your characters moving to the location you pick for them in the heat of battle, because the other party members get in your way. It's really unfortunate, because I dig the rest of the game. Unless they do something serious about it - I fear it will take quite a hit with most people. So far, I've cheesed some of the harder encounters by "luring" them to my party - because moving my entire party to their location means something will inevitably go wrong. I realise we have a lot of RTwP fans here, and I guess it's not a problem if you don't mind constantly pausing the game, and micromanaging your every move. To me, however, it's the ultimate proof of why you should always go turn-based in games like this, so long as it's singleplayer only.

Then I've played a bit of World of Warcraft - and I've been enjoying myself a surprising amount. I finally got my full Bloodfang set from soloing the appropriate raids - and that's something I always wanted. Then I've PvP'ed a bit - and have learned a bit about how much the mechanics have changed. Not sure how long I'll be playing - but it's a nice way to pass an hour here and there.

I'm eagerly awaiting Homeworld Remastered - which is coming out tomorrow, and I'm also looking forward to the 1.6 ESO patch, which is supposed to be released in a couple of weeks.

Lots of games, not a lot of time :(

I started a new game of EU4 as Portugal and I've colonised most of Brasil and the Carribean. I'm also taking over Columbia right now.

I don't feel like the colonising nation is for me though. I find it quite bland to be honest and maybe it would get more interesting in the very long run, but for now, I feel like I'm not doing much.

I've also got most of Morroco's territory and some swathes of Western Sub-Saharan Africa.
I am in a bit of a pickle with regards to what to do next.

Should I stop and play as a new country ? Or continue and wait for the mid-game where my colonies should prove useful in vanquishing Spain ?
I've never played a colonizing nation so don't know. Most people say Portugal is the 'tutorial country' because they don't have any significant challenge so new players can learn the basics of the game without fear, but for an experienced player that might translate to 'boring'? I may be wrong since I've never played Portugal but feels that way to me.

I'm thinking of doing a pure HRE game where I don't conquer any HRE territory and just go for emperor and all the way up to forming Germany via reforms, probably as Pomerania, form Prussia, expand East (Teutonic Order, Livonian Order), North (Denmark, maybe Sweden) and become the HRE emperor and start doing the reforms until I can unify, sounds challenging and interesting.

Another possibility I'm thinking with the new DLC that's coming in 2 days is to create a custom merchant republic nation where Morocco is and play a fully randomized world.

I tried forming Russia as Novgorod, but Muscovy proved a really tough bone to chew, I couldn't do it in my first attempt, they have so many troops!

I've always thought about trying an Indian playthrough, sounds like it could be a fun game too.

I believe we need a separate thread called "what DLC are you playing now".

I've never played a colonizing nation so don't know. Most people say Portugal is the 'tutorial country' because they don't have any significant challenge so new players can learn the basics of the game without fear, but for an experienced player that might translate to 'boring'? I may be wrong since I've never played Portugal but feels that way to me.

It's possible. That sounds close to what's happening to me.
I think Spain is basically your bread and butter as no one dares attack you and if there's a war, Spain doesn't even always call you in unless they need you.

I'm thinking of doing a pure HRE game where I don't conquer any HRE territory and just go for emperor and all the way up to forming Germany via reforms, probably as Pomerania, form Prussia, expand East (Teutonic Order, Livonian Order), North (Denmark, maybe Sweden) and become the HRE emperor and start doing the reforms until I can unify, sounds challenging and interesting.

Sounds good, I just finished my Brandenbrug playthrough where my goal was to become Emperor and for Germany, which I both achieved. The last few years of the game I was attacking France and winning, but the game ended before the war did.

Another possibility I'm thinking with the new DLC that's coming in 2 days is to create a custom merchant republic nation where Morocco is and play a fully randomized world.

I don't feel like that DLC would be very interesting to me, but I might grab the others I don't have yet on the sale that will come up.

I tried forming Russia as Novgorod, but Muscovy proved a really tough bone to chew, I couldn't do it in my first attempt, they have so many troops!

I had tried it before and it's not too difficult. Before the game loads, you need to make an ally of Lithuania or the Golden Horde. You would then have a good enough army to beat them with ease.

Even if you don't, then when they attack at the start of the game. Let them get a few provinces, so they suffer attrition in the meanwhile.
You then keep attacking the 2-3 stack ones that go a bit too far from the main stack.

At some point their manpower will be too low to recover and by then you should be able to white peace or even take their territory.

I've always thought about trying an Indian playthrough, sounds like it could be a fun game too.

I did Nepal a long time ago, but it feels like there aren't enough events to keep it interesting. Nothing really happens.

I am thinking of stopping Portugal and playing as one of Japan's daimyos, forming Japan and then going on to take Korea.

Currently:

- Torchlight II on the Mac ... such a fun little game! I hadn't touched it since my Fall 2012 review, so the Mac release a couple of weeks ago was awesome.
- Dishonored on PC - really good game ... but you guys already know that!
- Couple of PC review games that are pre-release at this point.
- Avernum 2: Crystal Souls on the ... um, oh, never mind ;)

But all of this discussion has me reloading the whole Deus Ex series on my PC.

I'm playing Fear, the first one, right now. Picked up the trilogy on Steam over the weekend, so far the first one is fun and tense. The products aligned up oddly in my steam library, so I'm not sure if the additional parts of the first game are separate or part of the game itself, guess I'll find that out as I progress.

Another week a few more zones for the Inquisition (even after a 3 day weekend). I installed the beta patch last week, so helping with the bug reporting on it.

Currently working my way through Emprise De Lion. Then Hissing Wastes and hopefully the main plot areas, and I'm done. Every square inch explored. Enjoying being at level 21 because it makes the terribad combat end quickly. The Black Emporium is cool, but I really don't need anymore gear… :)

Last edited:
Another week a few more zones for the Inquisition (even after a 3 day weekend). I installed the beat patch last week, so helping with the bug reporting on it.

Currently working my way through Emprise De Lion. Then Hissing Wastes and hopefully the main plot areas, and I'm done. Every square inch explored. Enjoying being at level 21 because it makes the terribad combat end quickly. The Black Emporium is cool, but I really don't need anymore gear… :)

So how does the auto attack work with the beta patch? Can you auto attack without being in tactical camera?

Back
Top Bottom