JoWooD - Materially Insolvent!

The rights to Gothic revert to PB I believe after G4.
Didn't know that one, thanks...
Despite some of the comments below there IS future for Gothic series as the brand is known and most gamers only care about reviews and recommendations from peers. Nothing is lost.

They published almost every adventure game in NA through their DreamCatcher branch.

My impression is that the vast majority of the developers in the German speaking countries won't shed a tear if JoWooD dies.

A JoWooD insolvency opens the doors for new chances:
The SpellForce rights and a nearly complete (or then just released) game change hands.
Somebody will buy whatever rights JoWooD still has in the Gothic series. PB is the only one who could make full use of these rights, because they own the missing part. So maybe this is their chance to get all the Gothic stuff back home for cheap.
The less important JoWooD brands will change hands for very little money. Maybe there will be a new Industry Giant or Transport Giant.

You know the Island from Risen could actually be a part of the Gothic universe!! :)

Heh, I thought the same thing. They probably could merge Gothic and Risen into one universe if they wanted to. After all, this is an isolated island in a world where "a dark wizard banished the Gods". Still... I somehow doubt they would actually do it.

I'm ok with a Risen 2, although for me, Risen didn't have enough of a Gothic feel in the dialogues and characters (then again, I never got to see the "original" dialogues since those only exist in the German version). But maybe PB doesn't want to do the same stuff anymore.

I'm not saying JoWood didn't make a bunch of poor decisions. They clearly did. I'm just saying they're not the devil, which people seem to think they are - they're no better or worse than most publishers. Yes, they're in it for the money, but every publisher is.

Hmmmm your analysis seems so…. balanced… so…. rational… I think I'll have to inject a bit of torch and pitchfork on behalf of PB…

/stabs you in the face with a pitchfork
/burns you in the face with a torch

:p

On a serious note though, I'd counter what you say with this: Certain publishers like Jowood and EA demonstrate again and again they do not have the patience and wherewithal to publish deep CRPGs. If nothing else, I criticize the fact that they fail to see this incompatibility, blinded by a compulsive greed to acquire CRPG properties that garner modest or better financial success.

In my opinion, EA killed the Ultima series and even the Lands of Lore series. Jowood killed the Gothic series. Both publishers killed these series, ultimately, because of an incompatibility between the publisher and the time required to create deep CRPGs.

I agree with Gorath. I'm surprised I agree with most points in this discussion with him.

The "death" of JoWood could indeed open new doors.

I agree, Blizzard never published any crap games. However, Blizzard has now merged with Activision, which means that era is dead and buried - Activision was as bad as any major publisher, so I assume Activision Blizzard will be as well.

For example, I see no difference between EA and Activision Blizzard. They both share the same "conquer the world" philosophy.

Serves them right for ruining the Gothic franchise and the way they treated customers and Piranha Bytes. I can only hope they'll be gone for good.
Hear hear. Karma's a bitch. No, this ain't karma. Their actions could only lead to this. Interplay went down for the same exact cause: complete and utter incompetence.

Shame for those working for them, but serves them right if they didn't see it coming years ago.

As for Arcania, complete dumbed down crap. Any company that makes such tripe deserves to perish in agony. Spellforce 2? Another one, I can't believe the lack of direction a game can have...

I have always been surprised at gamers defending this publisher (which shall never be named) over PB. Truly shocking PB is know as an extremely hard working developer these guys and gals, eat and sleep development.

The difference is the publisher willfully exploits them, there is absolutely no evidence PB was intentionally trying to delay their games just becasue they were fucking off. If PB said they needed another month, six months or a year, they needed it and they worked their asses off the whole time.

So stfu about trying to blame PB for any other than trying to make a kick ass game. :party:

I agree, Blizzard never published any crap games. However, Blizzard has now merged with Activision, which means that era is dead and buried - Activision was as bad as any major publisher, so I assume Activision Blizzard will be as well.

For example, I see no difference between EA and Activision Blizzard. They both share the same "conquer the world" philosophy.

EA have improved the last couple years. If only because they allow so,e level of autonomy and do release new series of games instead of refried sequels like Activision.

besides the fact that everybody is here to comment financial news instead of talking rpgs, which means this very site does not manage to deliver in its own field, you all seem to be talking like JW were a software studio, or a developer. nope.

they are (were) just a fat and greedy wholesaler, somebody who's selling potatoes on the town square, without even knowing if they grow on trees or elsewhere. and then offering them with an apple one day, with a pear the next day, without even knowing if they get cooked or eaten raw?

this retard is out of play now, no longer allowed to have a stand on the town square, forget him already. potatoes will be still grown by those who usually grow them and know their job.
________
WEED VAPORIZER

Last edited:

Yeah the only really awful things they ever worked were ports of other companies games back when they were called Silicon & Synapse. They only did the port work for those though and so were not responsible for the content and game mechanics (the terrible parts); even then only a few of those were actually bad games.

As far as blaming Lord British for the death of Ultima goes, that depends on how you take his accounts of the development process. He's explained a couple of times that EA had strong armed Origin Systems into reworking the game in full 3-D. How powerless was he really in terms of being able to fight to keep the game as it was and is this the simple pragmatic reality that he had to either do what they wanted or lose any control over the game at all? Also, I have always wondered how this explained the god-awful plot and care-bear-stare ending sequence where you shoot the guardian with rainbows.

It always confused me how Ultima VII and UW2 could have been so good and managed such dark undertones and Ultima IX could have been so dissapointing. Even Ultima VIII had some great elements if you could embrace the lonely feel of the world and lack of NPC party members (and if you had the patch that nerfed the damnable jumping puzzles).

Yes PB could step in and produce a fantastic Gothic-5 to the series if they so wished. They could without doubt produce a game that would be the saviour of the series and redeem the passion that most Gothic gamers have felt, it would have to be superior within the series, well polished and ultimate storyline to vindicate the 'Gothic' name....but right now with Risen-2 as their baby and a bitter taste that lingers on from the PB/Jowood debacle, i doubt a rebirth will ever happen.

How did it come to this? The answer is really quite simple. Incompetence. Incompetence at the highest echelons of power. We put our trust, our faith, in halfwits. Our intrepid leaders had everything they wanted; power, wealth, prestige. It made them lazy, America. Oh yes, and laziness breeds stupidity.

Back
Top Bottom