Pillars of Eternity - Closing in on March 26th

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Lead Producer Brandon Adler posted the next update for Pillars of Eternity with news about the games release date this month, and shares screenshots & a new video.

Hello, backers. We are closing in on our release date. It is a pretty exciting time, but you are probably wondering about the process to redeem your game (and other rewards) on our Backer Portal. In this update we will discuss the basic process of reward redemption on the Backer Portal and in the next update we will get in depth and provide instructions for you. We also have some cool stuff to show off like a teaser of our documentary, new screenshots, and our PAX Panel.
More information.

Friends,
Is there any way to play this earlier at this point? Money is no object. What I lack is time and I am going to buy this.. I just will not have time to play after this weekend for 3 months- so I wanted slake my thirst now....
Thanks for any advice..:biggrin:

No.
Maybe it's still possible to squeeze into betatesting it, but it's not the whole game and is possible game ruiner. So I'd suggest getting another title instead and returning to this one when you're able.

No as obsidian has not released a full copy as discussed in their last update, and as a warning piracy is frowned upon on this site. So don't ask again please.

The only solution right now is to find and play the Beta version.
So here is our conundrum. We have a real conflict between delivering a fully working DRM-free disc and meeting our manufacturing requirements to get you your physical rewards as near to March 26th as we can. This is a real concern, again, if a version of the game that really isn’t the final version is leaked onto the internet. The pledges backers like you put in to the game are not only at risk, it just plain sucks if lots of other people are playing the game you funded before you do. Obviously, we want the game to sell well enough so we can make more of them too, and an early leak of the disc concerns us enough that we’d like to share these concerns with you too and see what you think.

The game is not released yet, reviewers have (or should have soon) their review copies, but good luck getting your hands on that.

/ninjaed!

I'll probably play this later in the year, once it is nicely patched up. Maybe I'll take an early trial run at it though, just to have a peek.

obsidian were dicks for not letting those that got it on steam play the beta; i bought it as soon as it was available on steam and had to look and play the pirated version after that to see how the game is :mad:

obsidian were dicks for not letting those that got it on steam play the beta; i bought it as soon as it was available on steam and had to look and play the pirated version after that to see how the game is :mad:

People who got access to the beta paid for it ($25*) and the beta was never meant to be a demo. You are the dick here, not Obsidian.

*on top of their pledge it was an addon for every pledges outside of the most expensive ones.

I been reading comments about last beta build and I have doubts this game will be ready for release. Unless something crazy happens, the release version will still have noticeable bugs and problems. If the current beta version was the one given for review to news sites, I am afraid what kind of reviews we are going to get.

I think we can expect a lot of buthurt reviewers being murdered and not understanding why, complaining about pathfinding problems and other "nice" things like needing to pause too often because the party is brain dead if left on its own.

I think we can expect a lot of buthurt reviewers being murdered and not understanding why, complaining about pathfinding problems and other "nice" things like needing to pause too often because the party is brain dead if left on its own.

Definitely. As I have said before, while being accused of being an action gamer with no brain but I can live with that, the excessive need to pause the game is very annoying and makes you wonder very seriously if it wouldn't have been better to go with turn-based combat in the first place. I don't mind *some* pausing in harder fights to give party members individual instructions, refresh a buff here, do some healing there… you know the drill.
But in the PoE beta (at least before this final version) my party got slaughtered repeatedly by frickin' beetles, even if I did pause often and micro-manage. To win against the beetles, you have to really use every trick in the book and pause excessively.
So if anyone has fun playing this game with presumably lots of combat and filler like past Obsidian games like this where even trash mobs require you to micro-manage every fight, then more power to you, but it's definitely not for everyone.
And just to be clear: We are talking an entirely different league of micro-management here than BG, IwD or any of those older games. The fight against beetles in PoE is like the boss fights in those games, except harder.

I been reading comments about last beta build and I have doubts this game will be ready for release. Unless something crazy happens, the release version will still have noticeable bugs and problems. If the current beta version was the one given for review to news sites, I am afraid what kind of reviews we are going to get.

This is pretty much par for the course these days. It's why I haven't purchased a game on or near it's release date in nearly 4 years. I prefer my first playthrough of games (especially a highly anticipated one as PoE) to be as bug-free as possible. Unfortunately nowadays that doesn't happen until a few months after release.

Have games I need to finish up first,so by the time I get to POE should be a few patches released by then..

From playing the beta I think we can predict that the game will be nice enough but not earth shattering (quite on par with Neverwinter Nights 2, I'd say). A deeper skill system would have gone far to improve the game in my eyes, but the tactical combat situationas and the amount of lore in this game will put it a notch above other indie games.

But in the PoE beta (at least before this final version) my party got slaughtered repeatedly by frickin' beetles, even if I did pause often and micro-manage. To win against the beetles, you have to really use every trick in the book and pause excessively.

Automated AI or turn-based wouldn't fix your problem Moriendor. That's the beetles! They have been crazy bugged (way too high defenses, too much damage, bugged DoT that kill you in a few second, etc) since the first BB. They are range from level 3 to 5 when your party is level 3 or 4 at the start of the BB as well. It's by far the best encounter to tell if someone learned to play the game or not and I'm not talking about exhausting your resources (quite the opposite actually).

Does anyone know what are the pre-order items? I mean 'The Giant Miniature Space Piglet' and 'Gaun's Pledge'?
Gaun's Pledge looks like an overpowered item of some sort (AKA cheating), something that I generally tend not to use even when it comes with the package.
But the piglet maybe a semi-companion, or something similar to Boo, something that we can interact with or use, or start an interesting quest-line. I don't want to miss an interesting piece of lore if I did not pre-order.

Personally I guess I will not mind lots of pausing as I like turn based games although since I have not played BB I cannot really know. But for people expecting IE successor it might be a bad experience and also a more mainstream audience will for sure hate all the micromanaging.
But they will hate dying randomly to disengagement attacks even more or their character actions being cancelled for no apparent reason (disengagement again).

@blackcanopus

The piglet is a cosmetic pet. There is a slot in the paperdoll to equip them (there are a few in the game, I know of a cat and a none-cosmic piglet). They just follow you around and don't attack anything. I need to check if they can still trigger traps though (the none-cosmic piglet is a quest reward in the BB), that would be kind of overpowered (traps are nasty).

Without seeing the stats and the other items in the games, it's impossible to say if Gaun's Pledge is overpowered or not.

I really want this to be great. Though, I fear it will be released too early because of financial constraints. The original plan was to release it Christmas last year, but beta feedback was too bad. Visually it looks great and really scratches that BG itch. I'm just not sure the underlaying systems are working.

Guess I won't be a day-one buyer and will wait for the public consensus. Also I just started Divinity: OS for the first time... And then there still is Wasteland 2...

Still I wish them the best.

Well, I'm one of several backers that will have it day one and I'm sure several of us will report on the conditions of the game. You should get a nice variety of opinions. It's my wife's b-day weekend so I won't get to play it alot, but I hope to at least get a handful of hours with it Sunday.

I will have access to it on day 1 but I am not sure I will play it right away. I will probably watch a stream or two first to see what kind of bugs and problems people run into. And follow the forums a bit. If no major problems are reported I will play it, otherwise wait for few patches. I am still waiting for final version of WL2 to have best first experience, I guess I can wait for this as well.

Back
Top Bottom