The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

Whats fun to play really depends on your own playstyle. For example, I don't find Monks, Paladins, or it appears Bards fun to play.
Read this a little closer. Do you need to make a change to your Friday toon? Levelling a TR takes WAY too long to put up with running something you don't like.
Dte - Cleric PL adds a extra turn or two, and +1 to Conjuration DCs. But I would wait, as you have two lowbies leveling, a couple in the mid levels, and still have two high levels not at cap.
So the "double cleric" thing would be pretty worthless, just as I expected. As for my roster, it's not really as full as you might think. I've got the lvl20 cleric that's not going anywhere, the lvl19 ranger that's cap/TR fodder, the lvl17 rogue that's OK to play but is stuck until the guild catches up, and the 2 lvl7s. I'm rather disappointed with Shadohe's build and she's kinda in no man's land with the guild at lvl14, so she's effectively retired. So really, 2 actives at lvl7, 3 inactives, and Wouldii.

Ok first of all what's a character planner? Aren't those guides on DDO forums enough for a base char? Also, I don't want to solo the entire game. At some point I'd like to join the guild and be useful in a party. I saw that the NPC trainer gives some advices and levels up automatically for you (picking skills and all that). Is that a good choice?

I might reroll a barbarian or smth (I played berserker in BG 2 and after I got the hand of the game a wild mage) till I get the feel of it.

Later in a party, does the gameplay resemble WoW? I mean in the sense that you have tank-heal-dps and each class or build has a specific role?

Sry for the n00bish question ^_^

:) Good job Dte…….by the way if anyone can log on skype later I really need to test and be sure it is fixed on my end now. If not I will……….well I won't talk like that here but you all know….

I'm on and don't have plans to go anywhere, so if you want to test it just log on and give me a holler.

bloodlover said:
Ok first of all what's a character planner?

Character Planner:

http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO/

This lets you build a character out to level 20, taking feats, enhancements, spells, and stats, without having to roll it in game. All of us use it. I've got about 40 or so builds saved for a rainy day.

Also, building a "solo" character doesn't mean not building a capable group build. Fireflash was able to solo Shavarath quests, but was an asset in group as well, able to fill dps, trap monkey, and buffing roles as well as emergency spot healing. In fact, I would go as far to say that a solo-capable character is more of an asset to a group, as they can survive without needing a baby sitter or heal bot. All of my characters can self-heal to some extent or another, even if it's just to use heal scrolls.

dteowner said:
Read this a little closer. Do you need to make a change to your Friday toon? Levelling a TR takes WAY too long to put up with running something you don't like.

Thinking about it. If I do, it will be while Corwin is out, to minimize the impact to the group. I'm debating going to Barbarian, since we lack melee dps.

bloodlover said:
Later in a party, does the gameplay resemble WoW? I mean in the sense that you have tank-heal-dps and each class or build has a specific role?

No. You will see Favored Souls and Clerics, and even the odd Tukaw Sorcerer operating in the tradtional "tank" role at end game. You will also see some Favored Souls as DPS builds, instead of casters. Clerics and Favored Souls at higher level are also very strong casters, able to instant-kill and crowd control. There are Bards who have solo-healed every raid in the game, and Bards who have tanked and dpsed in the same.

That said, some classes are better at certain roles than others. Clerics and Favored Souls should be able to heal any group in addition to whatever their build is designed for, for example. But in general, you build for what you want to do, not take a class that fills a generic role that you need to fill.

With the upcoming enhancement changes, you'll be seeing things like Favored Soul Kensais and Cleric Defenders, so the lines will be blurred even further.

I think the Ranger's role is primarily taking out what's coming ahead - or at least crippling it so that the upcoming enemies are easier to defend.
That's how I see it, personally, but I'm still a relatively newbie here.

And Rogues can do something some other classes can not do (at least not that I know of) : Disarm traps, yes, even use the parts of traps for building new traps or "grenades" (the Free Agents have something for that), as far as I understood it, plus Rogues can open some doors others cannot open or need a spell for opening.

Which leads me to me doing the Dryden's Crypt in the Catacombs today on "hard". I knew there is such a oor I just cannot open - so I bought a "bell of opening" ? or how it is called in the DDO shop.

D'oh ! I lost contact to the servers, had to restart …

At one point AFTER this quest I found out that the price for these "bells" have been discounted ! I had paid 40 points for it - ca. an hour or even less later it was only 32 ! Had I waited long enough … *sigh*

But well, I've git the Family Treasure now. ;)

Apropos treasure - I noticed that I had forgotten a nice thing about trading : If you ever did the Waterworks quest chain for the first time … - One of the rewards is an discount by the harbor merchant - Elpeth whatshername … I've checked her prices and she definitively pays a bit more for the stuff you sell her !

So now I'll rather sell my stuff at hear in the future … ;)

I'm slowly but steadily aiming at my 10.000 Plat … I'm even checking treasure chests now about what to take with me … ;) - It's because every item description has at the very bottom of the description window a tiny entry of a "base value" … So, if I don't have enough storage room in my inventory anymore, then I'm taking from the chests what has the highest value … ;) Right now I'm at mid-7000s.
Because repair still consumes a lot of money, the better the weapon, the higher the repair costs …

And last : Yesterday I finished my second run-through of Tangleroot Gorge … Sadly the end reward/bounty didn't include the fire resistence ring I wanted to have (and did this run-through for), but at least I've got a +3 con belt now … ;)
Plus I have a +3 two-handed weapon now … ;)

About character building . I think it should be clear to everyone what a character/toon at least NEEDS to be effective in his/her role ... Wizards, for example, need relatively high values in Int,Wiz & Cha, depending on what kind/class of magic user this is, Rangers use mainly dex & str, and all, no matter which class, need con.

That's how I see it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Aprops "playing a soul stone" : After having slain the former Splinterskull Chief, I wanted to "clean" the place where the old Totem was, too - and was killed by the traps leading to the throne room !
I was followed by Flower, the still mostr versatile Cleric Hireling I've encountered yet, and her last yell before she was killed as well was full of anger and hatred directed at mr : "But that wasn't part of the plan !" Although an NPC, she managed that I felt guilty ... Fortunately, there was an resurrection shrine nearby, which I used. Bothwere up and happy again and what followed was indeed the cleaning of the former witch doctor's own "throne room" ... ;)

I think the Ranger's role is primarily taking out what's coming ahead - or at least crippling it so that the upcoming enemies are easier to defend.
That's how I see it, personally, but I'm still a relatively newbie here.

Rangers can excel at tactical eliminations. Using Manyshot to clear out enemy casters or beholders from a distance is awesome, or sprint-boosting ahead and over a mob to bring down the enemy casters. But, they are primarily a melee dps class.

And Rogues can do something some other classes can not do (at least not that I know of) : Disarm traps, yes, even use the parts of traps for building new traps or "grenades" (the Free Agents have something for that), as far as I understood it, plus Rogues can open some doors others cannot open or need a spell for opening.

Artificers get the same skills as Rogues. Also, a single level of Rogue (or Artificer) splashed into a high-skill point class will also be able to handle the same traps as a pure Rogue. Fireflash was an Exploiter, which meant 1 level of Rogue for traps skills.

About character building . I think it should be clear to everyone what a character/toon at least NEEDS to be effective in his/her role … Wizards, for example, need relatively high values in Int,Wiz & Cha, depending on what kind/class of magic user this is, Rangers use mainly dex & str, and all, no matter which class, need con.

Yep. Just remember, that the role is largely defined by build as much as class.

And Rangers are only a DEX class if they become an Arcane Archer. Tempest Rangers are a STR class, with little need for DEX past enough to qualify for Dodge. Even AA's need STR, since ranged is not very effective outside of Manyshot, and you need to be able to melee. Also you get extra ranged damage from STR as a Ranger.

I will be playing this week, and I'm home and available on Skype today!!

This is the first time I didn't find any Festivult Coins in chests anymore - which means that the Festivult Jester might soon be gone.

If you still have Coins, you'd better hurry in trading them ! - Or keep them until the next year … ;)
I have so many Bronze Coins that I won't be able to trade them in … I'll just keep them until the next time … ;)

As a reward from The Catacombs I received/took a staff of healing light wounds - the great thing with it is that it is a permanent one ! With 50/per day/resting.
I have only one slight problem with it : 50 UMD … :lol: So it's really a hit/miss thing ... :lol:
But I'll keep it anyway. ;)

By the way, I took a few essences from the Guild Chest and placed others into it of which I had too many.

I didn't quite get it, but the quality was terrible.

Congratulations ! :)

Be careful what you choose when levelling up, imho ...

Besides, MOTU usually = "Maters Of The Universe", I hated that when I was a kid.
Don't know what this means un this context ?

2 points of interest, quoted from the Eberron Chronicle :

This is the final weekend to turn in your Gold, Silver, and Copper coins to the Festivult Jester! The Jester will be here through January 16th.

This is the final weekend for the Risia Ice Games!

Congratulations ! :)

Be careful what you choose when levelling up, imho …

Besides, MOTU usually = "Maters Of The Universe", I hated that when I was a kid.
Don't know what this means un this context ?

Given that one of the selected domain names is Forgotten Realms, and the other Underdark, I would presume something to do with the Underdark.

However, I AM HE MAN!!!!!

2 other things I noticed yesterday :

- The Gem Bag seemingly doesn't hold any "phantom gems" anymore

- The Khorthos quest "Heyton's Rest" has been overhauled a bit - it now features - a female narrator/GM !

The DDO Wiki indeed indicates that there has been work on this quest for Update 12 :

Korthos Island

Heyton's Rest
Sahuagin altar speeches now no longer cut themselves off (but DM throughout the dungeon still cuts off to keep up with your pace if you're zerging)
Undead no longer spawn from breaking the sarcophagi.

I think you shouldn't do them on Elite when you are not ca. 3 levels above of the quest's level.

Oh god, doing dungeons on elite without a proper cleric is a pain in the ass >.>
Indeed. Cleric hirelings aren't bad, but they're certainly not as good as a real player. Elite just emphasizes the difference.

Back
Top Bottom