Mass Effect 2 is the RPG of the decade!

I just spent 15 hours on a Mask of the Betrayer marathon and I have to wonder what the people who hate it want to play. Probably something like Wolfenstein 3D?

I can answer that! I hate high level AD&D. I'm not a heavy story guy either. I loved NWN2, especially after the prologue and before the "build the fort" subgame. I enjoyed the other expansion quite a bit though because it was for lower level characters.

I can answer that! I hate high level AD&D. I'm not a heavy story guy either. I loved NWN2, especially after the prologue and before the "build the fort" subgame. I enjoyed the other expansion quite a bit though because it was for lower level characters.

Ah, so that explains your love for The Elder Scrolls. ;)

I like TES primarily because it tries to create that open living virtual world. It fails every time but it's the effort that counts (for me.) ;) I could even do without the RPG stats aspect, which would make it like STALKER, I guess.

There are people who dump massive amounts of time into TES games, for any number of reasons. It just comes down to people role playing in their own way.

There are people who dump massive amounts of time into TES games, for any number of reasons. It just comes down to people role playing in their own way.
Thank you. Great quote :).

It also takes a certain level of intellect to play D&D. People who don't possess that usually just play TES games instead. ;)

Shouldn't that rather be 'masochism' instead of 'intellect'? *scratch scratch* I know that there are people out there who love hand-crank cars, but they are things of the past, much like D&D and dinosaurs. Just that p&p D&D wasn't killed by a meteor shower but by WotC ^^.

Each to their own and it really boils down to personal taste. But one thing I hate in TES world is levelling system. It didn't make any sense to me. More you use the skills, it improves. That makes sense. But that means more enemy you defeat, you should become more powerful, but somehow, enemies level up with you. You don't get sense of achivement, you feel as though all that hours you've spent on your character was wasted. At least it was like that for me.

I am in my group known as the rules-guru. I tend to grasp systems almost instantaneously. I did have problems with 3.5. The vast amount of information you had to carry in your head when you were new at the system was my greatest problem. I faceplanted right into very simple questions. I remember spending a long time to find the prices for a +X arrow.

Worst with that arrow-thingie was that I did it during a session. This was many, many years ago and I ceased to lead for a long time. Now when GM'ing Star Wars SAGA Edition I follow the rule of never ever spending more than 30 sec to look up a rule, and each session begin by briefly explaining all the rules I checked up since the last session. This usually take a minute or two.

I guess you'd have similar problems with TDE 4.1, then.

Not the basic book, which is translated, but the whole (unfortunately German-language only) shebang, which encompassses several books !

But one thing I hate in TES world is levelling system. (…) somehow, enemies level up with you.
Oh, but that depends on the game. In Arena, Daggerfall and vanilla Morrowind, enemy level scaling was non-existant or hardly noteworthy. Only Tribunal and Oblivion had massive enemy level scaling.

@ the video: That was funny :).

Oh, but that depends on the game. In Arena, Daggerfall and vanilla Morrowind, enemy level scaling was non-existant or hardly noteworthy. Only Tribunal and Oblivion had massive enemy level scaling.

Yeah and I think it's just Bethesda experimenting with ways to make the world more dynamic even though it makes no sense :). Fallout 3 had a revised system already. Skyrim will probably again have some new ideas that will be hated. I look forward to a new explosion of inevitable forum hate.

The things I didn't like about it compared to ME 1 was the reduction in skills and powers, the removal of the inventory and weapon and armour customisation, the removal of hacking and decryption so you could hack or unlock any container with just the mini game. I didn't like that you work for Cerberus instead of the Alliance. And I hate auto health regen.

What I didn't like about it as a game was the sheer repetitiveness of both the missions and the combat. And that most of the game was made up of recruiting the companions and the companion loyalty missions. The main plot was almost completely sidelined. I guess that wouldn't have been so bad if ME 2 was a preparation for ME 3 but as I understand you have to start from scratch in ME 3, so I have to ask myself what the heck was all that actually for?

In addition only a couple of side missions were any good. Two or three of them were just dreadful, one where you're running around on a derelict spaceship as it begins to collapse. And don't forget planet scanning and driving the little ship around on the galaxy map which was just stupid.

But one thing I will say for the game is how superbly it was tailored to the audience it was aimed at. I've never seen so much praise and hype piled on a game. I remember when it first came out people couldn't praise it highly enough, and lauded it as the best game of all time and an improvement over ME 1 in every conceivable way.

Having read Nerevarine's post I have to say I agree with those points as well, but that wasn't a big issue for me.

Absolutely agree with every single point made in this post except for the "hacking" minigames in ME2 which I actually preferred to the hacking system in ME1, though admittedly it does become rather repetetive after a while.

Anyway, excellent post - I couldn't have said it better myself.

For me, just to chime in:

ME1 had a better story, better presentation and I personally loved the planet exploration. Also more stats is good, but the inventory was terrible.

ME2 had better combat, better cities and no sucky inventory (though unfortunately no inventory at all).

Seriously, the ME1 inventory systems scares me off a replay.

In the end I loved both games, though ME2 was more fun to play.

Just finished it with my save game at 45 hours!

Well, I enjoyed that last section better than the last section of the first game. Pretty epic and promising for the final installment (storywise)! If was all a bit easy on normal, though. My team was pretty upgraded and strong. I don't mind, I get frustrated, but a slight challenge is appreciated. At least I'm ready for ME3 now! I'll probably check out some DLC as well. This is the most fun I've had with a game since a long time. Can't wait for the next part!

It's also been a while since I've actually finished a game.

Sleep now, I have to drive for 6 hours tomorrow and I won't have a full night's sleep. :(

Just finished it with my save game at 45 hours!

Well, I enjoyed that last section better than the last section of the first game. Pretty epic and promising for the final installment (storywise)! If was all a bit easy on normal, though. My team was pretty upgraded and strong. I don't mind, I get frustrated, but a slight challenge is appreciated. At least I'm ready for ME3 now! I'll probably check out some DLC as well. This is the most fun I've had with a game since a long time. Can't wait for the next part!

It's also been a while since I've actually finished a game.

Sleep now, I have to drive for 6 hours tomorrow and I won't have a full night's sleep. :(

You can spend the 6 hours reflecting upon the endlessly deep, rich, and most of all anything-but-cliché characters of the game!

Back
Top Bottom