What are you reading?

- The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman (13/7/14) A+ excellent

I finished that a weak ago I wouldn't give it A+ but it's definitively good book.

Also has anyone read any Gaiman's short story collection?Are the any good?I finished all of his novels(my favorites being Graveyard book, American gods and Ocean at the end of lane), and while he not among my favorite writers I still want more.

I've read Fragile Things & Smoke & Mirrors and thought both were good. Fragile Things gave a little more insight into his writing for me.
I'm currently reading The Waking Engine by David Edison, a little slow getting going but an interesting premise.

Stormlight Archive, Book 1: The Way of Kings

Great, intelligent characters in an interesting world, keeping you engaged. Typical Sanderson. Feels a bit like Mistborn on a grander scale. There's a lot about virtue ethics, which I love reading about. I'm probably not going to follow up with book two immediately, even though I'm eager to know how the story continues. Need to pace myself. Journey before destination.

Waiting for "Half a king" from Joe Abercrombie. Right now, i'm reading "The warded man" from Brett. A nice read and persuade me to buy the next 2 from the trilogy.

Currently re-reading "Lord of the Rings" — it has been too long, old friend :) — then moving on to "Unfinished Tales", then going on a trek through the entire Riftwar cycle, which are some 20+ books.
Looking forward to it, actually. I stopped reading them somewhere halfway ("Exile's Return" was the last one I read, I believe) and they've been piling up since. I am itching to see how Feist wraps up his story. :D

Also on my to-read list: the "Broken Empire" by Mark Lawrence, "First Law" by Joe Abercrombie and re-reads of "Tyrants & Kings" by John Marco and the Pern cycle by Anne McCaffrey.

So much to read, so little time!

Just finished a few things, mainly light steampunk or YA. Currently reading Fast and Slow Thinking. Last few weeks list is
- Fumbling the Future - Douglas K. Smith & Robert C. Alexander (2/7/14) A
- The Best British Fantasy 2013 - (3/7/14) A some I'd read
- Legacy - James Kerr (4/7/14) A-
- Clarkesworld July 2014 - (4/7/14) A
- Clockwork Angel - Cassandra Clare (8/7/14) A- worth reading next one
- The Stars Change - Mary Anne Mohanraj (9/7/14) B+ enjoyable but simplistic
- Soul of Fire - Caris Macrae (11/7/14) A- decent although cliched, interesting magic system
- Fluency - Jennifer Foehner Wells (12/7/14) B+ too cliched in parts
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman (13/7/14) A+ excellent
- Empress of the Sun (Everness Series) - Ian McDonald (14/7/14) A- OK
- The Rhesus Chart: A Laundry Files Novel - Charles Stross (16/7/14) A- touch too many forced inside jokes and leaps of logic
- Interzone 251 - (21/7/14) A
- The Year's Best Science Fiction Thirtieth Annual Collection - (22/7/14) A+
- Emerald Fire - Caris McRae (22/7/14) B too separate/disjointed
- Armor - John Steakley (24/7/14) A

I finished that a weak ago I wouldn't give it A+ but it's definitively good book.

Also has anyone read any Gaiman's short story collection?Are the any good?I finished all of his novels(my favorites being Graveyard book, American gods and Ocean at the end of lane), and while he not among my favorite writers I still want more.

I have. I can't remember the name of the collections but IIRC there were a couple of them based on the Cthulhu mythos, which were fun to read. It was like any short story collection, some stories are better than others. I went on a Gaiman kick starting with American Gods. I didn't care for the follow-up: Anansi Boys, however.

American Gods was really good, I cannot believe he simply didn't write any more books and continue on. Now I'm reading Red Rising by Pierce Brown, not as good as the prior read but still entertaining.

Waiting for "Half a king" from Joe Abercrombie. Right now, i'm reading "The warded man" from Brett. A nice read and persuade me to buy the next 2 from the trilogy.
Thought the first entry from Brett was very good. Second one, not so much. Didn't buy the third one, but might eventually give it a chance. I believe I saw somewhere that the series was intended to have 5 books.

Finally finished up Sir Apropos of Nothing (as mentioned before, very enjoyable but suffered from too much personal hype) and moved into the penultimate Wheel of Time entry.

Red Rising turned out to be quite an interesting read, lots of thoughts and opinions on politics/meta thought processes by different castes. Finished that last night and dove into the final book of the Wayward Pines this morning, and finished it rather quickly. The last 20 pages or so just left a nasty taste in my mouth. The final page left me with a violent urge to throttle the author. And those two sentences were complimentary compared to my first thoughts when I finished the book. I certainly have no need to ever watch the movie if one is made.

Frank Herbert's Destination: Void, prequel to his Pandora trilogy.

Weeeelll.. that was fairly interesting, but tough. Almost no plot, mostly dialogue consisting of an incredible amount of techno babble and philosophical musings about consciousness. I fell asleep a few times. Note to self: don't read if tired.

Still, I'm looking forward to the actual trilogy, although I'm throwing in some Lovecraft short stories for now.

I am back to one of my favorite hard science fiction writers, Stephen Baxter.

I read "Coalescent" to complete more of the Xeeelee saga. It is good, but not outstanding like "Timelike Infinity" and some of his other Xeelee novels. Not much science fiction here in Coalescent. But I liked the historical bits about Roman Britain, it's fall, the subsequent fall of Rome. After a slow start, I became engaged by the story of a desperate British roman girl and then grown woman trying to save her family during the collapse of roman civilizations. I think his other Xeelee books are better, though.

Despite this, I've moved on to reading "Exultant", the next in the Destiny's Children series (it was already gifted to me). I find it more engaging. It's set during the Xeelee conflict in the far future, inside the core of the galaxy and at Earth. Some fun time travel paradoxes explored here, timeloops caused by FTL travel are used to change battle plans, and have lead to thousands of years of stalemated conflict with the Xeelee.

Can someone recommend a good horror science fiction novel?

Think something like Alien in book form. I've had the hardest time finding anything like it.

Hard Science Ficiton

My definition: less fantastical, more realistic in regard to scientific possibilities.

Thanks, that is what I assumed ... would 'Timelike Infinity' be a good starting point with him (unavailable on eBook, sadly) or do you have another recommendation?

Metro 2033

It simply surpassed my expectations. One of the most fascinating and insightful post apocalyptic worlds I've ever seen depicted. Although it is basically sci-fi, but I would consider it light literary fiction. I mean if it finds its way to the canon of Russian literature someday, I wouldn't be surprised. It is well-written (although the English translation is a bit cranky), well-paced and the atmosphere is brilliant, especially in the parts where Artyom goes to the surface.

Overall, a pleasure to read. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the game, because except for all the first person shooting, they are so much alike, both in terms of atmosphere and plot.

Now I really want to see more games inspired by books.

Back
Top Bottom