What are you reading?

Wiretapped you didnt mention whether you had read his Dark Tower stuff, 1st book is a little slow, it really starts to take off 2nd thru 4th book, I wasn't really impressed with books 5-7 but Wind Thru the Keyhole was pretty good the 8th book. Of his other classics, Christine is up there also as is Misery (not supernatural tho). Of his more recent books, 11/22/63 is pretty great as is Joyland and Mr Mercedes, but those are not supernatural horror.

I did read his Dark Tower stuff actually. I really liked books 1-3, 4 was a little bit of a drag, and then 5-7 were okay. The Wind through the Keyhole is still on my to-read list. I've looked at 11/22/63, doesn't that story involve some sort of time travel?

Started The Runes of the Earth by Stephen Donaldson. The first book in the third trilogy about Thomas Covenant, who happened to die in the last book of the second trilogy, but I guess he's coming back in some form :)
I really liked the first six books, but have some difficulty with this one. Will be trotting on though, hoping it improves.

I actually found that Donaldson went quickly downhill after his early work and became almost unreadable which was a pity because I really enjoyed TC and Mordants Need.

I'm a huge Donaldson fan myself, but his latest Covenant series doesn't come close to how good the earlier ones were. Still worth reading imo, but do yourself a favour and keep your expectations low.

I have Seveneyes on my iPad but am trying to read actual paper books as the to read pile is over 50 and starting to develop a list! currently about 70% of way through Godless by Ben Peek which is a David Gemmel award nominee. it is OK but a touch wordy.

Last edited:
Finishing up Steven Erikson's Reaper's Gale, 7th Malazan Book of the Fallen. Excellent reading, far reaching epic fantasy with literally hundreds of characters, but Erikson still keeps it coherent. I enjoyed this the most and The Bonehunters out of all the Malazan books so far. If you want a amazing fantasy epic series and not afraid of 1000 page novels, Erikson's Malazan series is a must read.
Next up will be Anderson Taylor's Destroyermen Maelstrom. Reminiscent of William Forstchen's Lost Regiment, its a relatively easy reading alternative history series with lots of action. A WW2 destroyer gets sucked into a dimensional gate and stuck in a pre-industrial world where two non-human civilizations are in a fight to the death.

Next up will be Anderson Taylor's Destroyermen Maelstrom. Reminiscent of William Forstchen's Lost Regiment, its a relatively easy reading alternative history series with lots of action. A WW2 destroyer gets sucked into a dimensional gate and stuck in a pre-industrial world where two non-human civilizations are in a fight to the death.
That sounds good so I will check it out. I have been reading the Divine Comedy(one of the english translations) pretty amazing stuff still after about seven hundred years.

Just finished The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. Blasted thru in about 24 hours- it's a very quick read. Very enjoyable stuff although the end seemed just a bit rushed. A fully acknowledged ripoff of The Jungle Book, but unique in its own way. Definitely recommended for a pleasant diversion. The artwork (lots of illustrations) is quite good and adds to the mood as well.

Well. I might have read the best interpretation of an adventuring group in a long time. This guy writes about an adventuring group that comes to be known as the Heroes of Ravenford. They start off fighting goblins and such and the third book has them tackling a dead arch-mage's deadly tower of traps. It is a very good read. Here's a link to the first book. This is all based on AD&D without specifically saying it :)

http://www.amazon.com/Ruins-Stone-H...TF8&qid=1439837119&sr=1-3&keywords=F+P+Spirit

This first book is totally free. You could use the trial version of Kindle Unlimited and read all 3 books of the series for free too. I'm a member of Kindle Unlimited as I read 70+ books a year.

I read the first book of the Dwarves series, and it was ok. I didn't really care for how the story bounced around every sentence or two, I'd barely get used to the current setting and then it totally changed again. Maybe they were writing it for adhd folks, dunno. I might check out the second book if I get bored enough.

Then I picked up The Last Kingdom by Cornwell, and this is more my kind of book. I'm about halfway through now, and I'll certainly be reading the rest of them in this series. If you enjoy historical fiction and references, this is a great read.

Here is what I settled on for my vacation, 2 novels both nominated for Hugos and Nebulas last year from new authors for me, plus Neal Stephenson, who has always been a favourite. :)

The Goblin Emperor
Addison, Katherine

Seveneves: A Novel
Stephenson, Neal

The Three-Body Problem
Liu, Cixin

I am reading The Goblin Emperor and I am about half way through and I can't put it down. Its not well written book and it hardly has any action in it but there is something about the going on which makes me keep on reading!

Back
Top Bottom