Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Origin

Votes: 12 7.7%
  • NWC

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Spiderweb

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
Origin has been making RPGs since I was a little kid (I'm 33 now) My intro to real RPGs was Ultima 3. Origin made The Ultima series, Wincommader series (Luke Skywalker was in some of the games :)) Privateer series, and I think is one more but I just can't seem to remember right now.

They published Times of Lore, which was an action RPG.

For the "why isn't xxx listed" - polls only support 10 options. You can quibble over my choices but there's no way they all fit in. In my mind, you can't leave out the three classic pillars of Ultima/Wiz/M&M, IPLY is assured a place for Fallout and PS:T, Bethsoft surely demands a place as does BioWare...that only leaves a couple of places left.

As for all dead, when did BioWare, Bethsoft, Spiderweb, Blizzard and PB go under? That's half the list. ;)

Black Crypt (Raven), Dungeon Master (FTL), Starflight (Binary Systems) and Betrayal at Krondor (Sierra) were all genre defining CRPG's, IMO. That said, I voted for Origin for their Ultima games.

Last edited:
I had to vote for SPiderweb since it is the only developer still making games I like. Also, where is MicroProse?

I voted for Troika - Actually, I might have really considered BIS\Interplay, but their Van Buren/BG3 screw up diminishes any credit they get for all their titles, yes, including Fallout and PST. Spiderweb would have gotten the vote if it was with companies still in existance, since I quite enjoy their games.

I went for PB -> If there never was a gothic, I would never have met the people here. That makes it the most important one and my favourite.

+++++ 1 :thumbsup:

Tough one! I gave some love to piranha Bytes because they're the only ongoing studio on the list that I think might make a game I really, truly love.

Honourable mentions to Troika for being great even if not successful, and to interplay & black Isle for planescape.

Same here as far as PB. Otherwise if New World Computing (NWC) was still active they would get my vote. Even the crappy Might & Magics were fun for me to play, fun leveling up, fun areas to explore, fun combat, although the story lines were usually weak - I've finished every single Might and Magic RPG at least once.

Still, Gothic 2 is my favorite RPG and I even liked Gothic 3 alot even though its full of more bugs than a roach motel. And as fun and scary as exploring the land in Fallout 3 was, Gothic 2 was still scarier when you were in those forest areas. I agree that I have high hopes that PB will make another game I truly love.

I voted for Origin, because their games were the ones I first played and loved when I got my original system, a x386 with about four megs of memory. And I really liked their motto: "We build worlds."

It's funny ... as I read the comments, I just keep nodding my head - yeah, Origin ... yeah, BIS ... yeah, PB ... yeah, Bioware ... loads of good games by loads of good developers.

Wow, that's a tough one! Hm... from this list... well. I wouldn't go as far as to call Blizzard an RPG developer, although their WoW is a mmorpg. I absolutely love VtM:Bloodlines, but I think it's Troika's only game I played... then there's Black Isle and Bioware, whom I always viewed as the somehow most important RPG developers, so I could be torn between them... the BG series was wonderful, and Fallout was one the first two RPGs I ever played... but!

There is one developer, for whom I have a great sentiment. Their first game took me completely by surprise, and indirectly had a big impact on my life - not to mention that the game itself was incredible and unlike any other. So my vote goes to PB.

Praise the carnivorous fishes! :biggrin:

Troika, PB and Bioware are really duking it out for second place. Have we run off all the Bethsoft people? ;)

Beth people don't come around here too often because we're an rpg site. Theyre more an action adventure sandboxy type

Funny thing I really am enjoying f3 with al the mods. I play it for what it is, a survivor game in a sandbox. When I look at it that way, all my problems with the story go away (sorta MUNGGOOOOSSS and HEs A TRRREEEEEE) I'l never get the bad taste out of my mouth after doing those two quests. So ignore them, mod the hell out of it and then take it on ike a diablo or Hellgate. Its much more fun that way.

Wish the did it that way instead of taking fallout. But you know about wishes right?
IF wishes and butts were candy and nuts
we all woud have a nice time.
Grandfather taught me that and it always stuck.

I wote Bioware, mostly for BG 1+2, but also have alot other good RPGs under their belt, as NWN, KotoR, ME and Jade Empire.

Second must be Black Isle (Obasadin) fore their Fall Out and Ice Wind Dale serie, and later NWN2.

Thried place must be Blizzard as i relly loved their 1st Diablo and liked WoW (as far as I can like a MMORPG).

I really loved Morrowwind. But all the prior Elder Scroll games were just good. Oblivion was also good but while Fallout 3 was excellent, I didn't love the game, I just had a lot of fun playing it. Of course the ending made me wonder about the developers. I respect Bethsoft's overall work, but they are in no way my favorite RPG developer. For me, great games have those special moments that make the gameplay all the more spectacular by taking you deeper into the game. In the M&M series, they always seemed to pick the perfect music for the setting. Walking into a new town in M&M, with the towns special theme music was always a pleasure. Walking around in Gothic 1 or 2 while people were working or just standing or siting around. Or wandering around at night when most everyone was in bed. Those type of moments were the norm for those games.

Morrowwind had it when you were in one of those towns with a dust storm and all the residents were protecting themselves from the harsh winds. But both Oblivion and Fallout 3 only took you into their world as far as the spectacular graphics would allow. Yeah, I know people sleep and worked in F3 and there were parts were you could hear some unintended coveresation. But for me, they never added a new take to the immersion factor.

Last edited:
1. Black Isle
2. Troika
3. Sir - Tech
4. Piranha Bytes
5. Origin

BLASPHEMY!!! ;)

Half my life has been dedicated to playing their games. MM2 is still the best of the lot. Played every one over 247 times at least. :biggrin:

I love you JVC.

I think the acronyms do not help ... they tend to be exclusionary. Saying MM o someone who doesn't know NWC doesn't necessarily help. New World Computing, makers of Might & Magic might actually be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom