Legend of Grimrock - Now Available

Finished it (though I haven´t found all the secrets, just 62/71).

I´ve felt the game ran a bit out of steam in the last 3-4 levels, but it was a very fun experience overall.

I´ll be definitely on the lookout for the next Almost Human title.

The fighting sucks, this little gem is all about e proration and puzzles.
Yeah, exploration and puzzles are where the game really shines.
All those buttons and puzzle sequences without solutions provided on a silver platter were a massive breath of fresh air. Good variety and reasonable challenge.

I disagree that "the fighting sucks" though, because within the context of the (sub)genre it doesn´t in my opinion. More encounters designed to specifically test party´s skills (aka where just circle strafing or back pedaling wouldn´t cut it) and more enemy immunities and special abilities wouldn´t hurt, but when it comes to general basics, I´d say the game got it right.
The point of this type of real time combat is to blend seamlessly with the other activities like exploration, puzzle solving or inventory management and this maintains a specific kind of immersion, pacing and mix of challenges which define this particular genre.
But I´d agree that when judging the game´s gameplay elements in separation, combat certainly isn´t its strongest suit, puzzles are where it´s at.

Last edited:
I am simply unable to use WASD effectively.
My fingers must have a circuit that is broken to my brain because they simply don't do what I want them to do. Probably why I never could play the piano.
What makes it worse is the need to strafe in the game. In a battle I always end up facing a wall while smacking the blazes out of it and the enemy in the meantime is slicing my back to pieces.
So unfortunately hard difficulty is not available to me. I have been playing on normal and my battle strategy relies on only fighting one enemy at a time and then running away and resting.
Unfortunately I expect the lower levels to get harder with more and more enemies and that strategy will be useless.

Perhaps I should just admit defeat and start over on easy? :(

Try remapping the keys; I did and now I don't turn in the middle of a fight. :)

Try remapping the keys; I did and now I don't turn in the middle of a fight. :)

Thanks for the suggestion but no matter of remapping will fix me of my inability to make my fingers work properly.
If it was possible to use just the keyboard in battles then I possibly could come up with a key mapping solution that would work.
Unfortunately in this game the mouse is an absolute necessity to right click with in battle so that leaves all movement to my left hand.
I just cannot get my fingers to obey me.

My friend who I was shopping with the other day commented on the fact that I strafed then backpeddled into the store with the cart. I didn't even reflect on it, it just felt natural. :D

Back
Top Bottom