quick Icewind Dale II question

Sorcha Ravenlock

Sentinel
I reinstalled IWD2 since I'm fed up with WoW, but it's a long time since I've played the game.
The last time my main caster was a drow sorcerer, this time I chose a moon elf wizard. it seems he's not learning any new spells on level up though, unless I'm greatly mistaken. His intelligence is 18 so that shouldn't be a problem. Do I have to learn all his spells from scrolls then?
(I have to admit I'll probably turn him into a sorcerer if that's the case. ;) )

Aye, mages gotta read the scrolls to add them to their scroll book.

yeah. as you lv up, you can memorise more spells to use in battle.. but you have to use scrolls to learn them first.

Not really difficult to find scrolls though, but certain spells later on might be a tad hard to get.

Sorcerors don't need scrolls to learn spells. They know them by instinct. You choose what spells you will cast for the day and you have a fixed number of spells. That's how it works in NWN and its gotta be something similar to IWD2. Both games are 3e/d20 based.

It's similar in IWD2. You dont have to memorize spells (which is the feature I dislike the most about AD&D mages), instead you can cast a certain number of spells of each level and choose among any learned spells. I prefer sorcerers any day due to the memorization issue (what is the reasoning behind forcing characters to think about what spells they want to cast the next day before going to sleep anyway?:p). I normally only use a subset of the mage spells anyway, so the "more flexible" argument touted for mages doesnt fly with me. And you get more spells to cast per level, which is handy.

It doesnt matter much in IWD2 since that game allows complete min-maxing, but I do find it a bit of a disadvantage that sorcs use charisma as the main casting stat. Quite a few of the int-based skills are after all useful to them.

And in IWD2 a mage might end up with unused spell slots if you play with a smaller party. New scrolls only become available as new areas open up. The scroll shortage is not as bad as in IWD1 where there only is 2 or 3 fireball scrolls in the entire game tho.

Sorcerors don't need scrolls to learn spells. They know them by instinct. You choose what spells you will cast for the day and you have a fixed number of spells. That's how it works in NWN and its gotta be something similar to IWD2. Both games are 3e/d20 based.

It is similar.. except in NWN you can unlearn unwanted spells during lv up, but in IWD you are stuck with whatever choice you've made forever.

Back
Top Bottom