What games are you playing now?

I hope that at least half-way makes sense. The short version is that Homeworld sounds like it has a non-sandbox strategy campaign that I might actually enjoy for once!

It's worth a shot :)

It's sort of a bold design these days, because a lot of people won't be used to it. It goes both ways, as you can lose your entire army - and then you're pretty much fucked in the next mission.

I don't know if there are "safeguards" in place to prevent that from happening, but I don't think that was the case back in 1999.

To me, it almost feels like an old-school roleplaying game in that way, because your army becomes your "family" and you get attached to it - like you would a character. Since there's no hand-holding to keep you safe, you really need to embrace the tactical nature of the game, and that's largely what it's about. Being smart in a tactical sense :)

Ha, well played!

However, I also meant beyond that: So let's say you can keep your units and/or characters and their improvements. I really dislike starting from scratch when it just doesn't really make sense to do so. Stronghold is a good example - although admittedly I didn't get very far in that campaign. I just remember building up a fortification, defending against a group of enemies, then the game says: "Now start over and build another castle!" against more difficult enemies.

I don't think I'm explaining very well here…basically, Homeworld seems to "make sense" to me based on what Dart described in that you don't really just go "map to map" with no real reason but instead feel like you are on an actual campaign, moving forward in the game while keeping the progress you make rather than keeping only a small amount of carry-over.

I hope that at least half-way makes sense. The short version is that Homeworld sounds like it has a non-sandbox strategy campaign that I might actually enjoy for once!

You should try Battle for Wesnoth :)

After some recent discussion on Two Worlds 2 I decided to give it another try. It's not off to a good start, since I was immediately enraged by the way it forces you to use a controller if it sees one plugged in. I'd somehow managed to block this out of my memory. So I've either got to crawl behind my desk to unplug it every time I want to play or immediately enter a console command to disable it. There's no option to do this in the game or any config files to set this permanently. The console command's the better option, but the on-screen prompts stay mapped to the controller, which is a bit annoying.

Anyway, that's easy enough to work around. Now I've got to force myself to stick with it while I see if I can get used to the control scheme, clunky combat, and awkward UI. I don't think I'll ever get used to the freaky PC model. Seriously, how did someone look at that guy and think it was ok? :p

Still on EU4.

I have ended up conquering a large chunk of Spain and the Irish Isles. I am now one of the richest nations as Portugal. I'm bored of it.

I think I will go back to some RPG next. It's been a while.

I played a few ranked games of LoL as well and they turned out to be a lot of fun. (Almost) No flamers and fun teams all around.

I am not doing great, but who cares. I enjoy playing it. I like playing Sion. He's a fun champ and I like seeing his health bar go up to 4,000+ with his passive ability :)

After some recent discussion on Two Worlds 2 I decided to give it another try. It's not off to a good start, since I was immediately enraged by the way it forces you to use a controller if it sees one plugged in. I'd somehow managed to block this out of my memory. So I've either got to crawl behind my desk to unplug it every time I want to play or immediately enter a console command to disable it. There's no option to do this in the game or any config files to set this permanently. The console command's the better option, but the on-screen prompts stay mapped to the controller, which is a bit annoying.

Device manager - disable/enable device.

Device manager - disable/enable device.

Yeah, but since it remembers console commands, it's easier just to hit ~, up arrow, enter and ignore the on-screen buttons when I launch the game. If the buttons get annoying I'll have to do that, though.

Yeah, but since it remembers console commands, it's easier just to hit ~, up arrow, enter and ignore the on-screen buttons when I launch the game. If the buttons get annoying I'll have to do that, though.

Well, I usually just keep the device manager window open in such cases - and when I exit the game, it's just "right-click" and enable.

But I didn't have this particular problem with 2W2 - and I have my Xbox "receiver" plugged in, at least usually.

Playing BG1 on my tablet, CK2 on my laptop, and Witcher 2 (already finished it once, now doing the other path) on my X360. :)

In spite of my interest in Homeworld, I didn't play it way back when because it did not have a grand campaign/sandbox mode - now that I know that it lets you keep your progress, I will definitely play it when I get the chance.

That was one of its main selling points. :)
Go grab the remaster, the originals were great!

PC games defaulting to a controller scheme is a huge pet peeve of mine, and it seemed like most PC ports did that until recently. Thank God developers finally realized how irritating that was.

Which developers exactly?

Doesn't DAI default to controller, I thought it did for me but I can't remember.

Needless to say this is also a pet peeve of mine.

You should try Battle for Wesnoth :)

Thanks for the suggestion, I somehow haven't heard of this before. I've just briefly read the basic details of this game, and it definitely has me intrigued.

To me, it almost feels like an old-school roleplaying game in that way, because your army becomes your "family" and you get attached to it - like you would a character. Since there's no hand-holding to keep you safe, you really need to embrace the tactical nature of the game, and that's largely what it's about. Being smart in a tactical sense

Yep, this is a better explanation to what I was clumsily trying to get at :). It kind of reminds me of Jagged Alliance 2 in that way, with the attachment to your team and living with the successes/consequences of the battles along the way.

Of course, JA2 was really a perfect blend of sandbox and story-driven campaign, but still - Homeworld sounds like the type of experience I would enjoy.

Ha, well played!

However, I also meant beyond that: So let's say you can keep your units and/or characters and their improvements. I really dislike starting from scratch when it just doesn't really make sense to do so. Stronghold is a good example - although admittedly I didn't get very far in that campaign. I just remember building up a fortification, defending against a group of enemies, then the game says: "Now start over and build another castle!" against more difficult enemies.

I don't think I'm explaining very well here…basically, Homeworld seems to "make sense" to me based on what Dart described in that you don't really just go "map to map" with no real reason but instead feel like you are on an actual campaign, moving forward in the game while keeping the progress you make rather than keeping only a small amount of carry-over.

Well to me that makes sense, since you are expanding your domain, you have to build new keeps in each region. Completely natural to me. Even if it turns out to be repetitive.

Well to me that makes sense, since you are expanding your domain, you have to build new keeps in each region. Completely natural to me. Even if it turns out to be repetitive.

Sure, I understand. To me, it's just a different, less satisfying feel from Civilization, Total war, Crusader Kings/Europa, etc. where as you expand, you still have the other territories and provinces you have won to manage, defend, and rely on for production/money. It's just that feeling of watching your progress that I miss when you start over on a blank map, and it's more frustrating than satisfying. Personal preference and all that :)

In Homeworld, it sounds like your ships and resources are treated this way, almost as if they were mobile "provinces."

Which developers exactly?

Most multi platform games I've played within the last year seemed to support both control methods equally and showed onscreen prompts to match whatever scheme you're using. Tomb Raider and Lords of the Fallen for example. I'm pretty sure Assassin's Creed IV as well.

I was especially impressed with the controls in Lords of the Fallen considering I had never even heard of that developer before.

Dunno about Dark Souls and clones, but I wasn't impressed by disastrous UI port in FF13 and Neptunia.
Because of it, I've thumbed them both down on Steam. Although FF13 is so bad proper UI wouldn't help to change my mind, Neptunia looks promising and hopefully will fix the issue.

Back
Top Bottom