Far Cry Primal incoming

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
http://kotaku.com/the-next-far-cry-will-go-to-the-ice-age-1734775898

The announcement will be for a game called Far Cry Primal and it’ll be set in the Ice Age, according to sources familiar with goings-on at Ubisoft. Expect to see woolly mammoths, tigers, and other prehistorical animals. Maybe tribal combat using bows and spears. Probably no dinosaurs, but who knows?

Me, #1 FC3 fan, #1 FC4 hater, ain't doing the happy dance.
Will not preorder, will wait for actual buyers input on potential boredom in this one. Because... While "magic mushrooms" are possible in ice age, I doubt we'll be passively smoking pot by burning marijuana field with a flamethrower in this one.

Yeah, I loved Far Cry but it really has slowly gone off the rails for me ... no thanks.

I think this looks more interesting than some previous entries. Curious to see if they can create an interesting story in this setting. Expecting the worst and hoping for the best.

Sounds like an experiment - much like Blood Dragon was.

Such things are cute and amusing for a little while, but it's not really my kind of things.

Count me positively surprised - Far Cry Primal has day1 DLC but no scamware!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/371660
Day1 DLC for $5 adds a few missions (apex edition, you play as a mammoth and not human) plus some whatnot items.

I really didn't expect this. Sure, Ubi cancelled season pass for AC:Unity a year ago, but it wasn't because the vocal minority I'm part of yell "scamware!" but because poor state of the game.
Did they actually stop with the scandalous practice for good? Hopefully yes.

-

Of course not everything is positive. Recommended requirements:
- Processor
Intel Core i7-2600K | AMD FX-8350 or equivalent
- Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 | AMD Radeon R9 280X or equivalent
Excuse me? GTX 780 has a price of 3-4 phones/consoles itself. And putting i7 as recommendation for gaming? What's the game gonna do? Design a skyscraper with all calculations about materials, statics and other stuff by itself?

A mammouth, huh? That's not too exciting. Have they run out of good ideas for games these days.
The game sounds like steam sale already.

Count me positively surprised - Far Cry Primal has day1 DLC but no scamware!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/371660
Day1 DLC for $5 adds a few missions (apex edition, you play as a mammoth and not human) plus some whatnot items.

I really didn't expect this. Sure, Ubi cancelled season pass for AC:Unity a year ago, but it wasn't because the vocal minority I'm part of yell "scamware!" but because poor state of the game.
Did they actually stop with the scandalous practice for good? Hopefully yes.
Gaming sites are slow on noticing this fresh wind, but better late than never:
http://kotaku.com/whoops-ubisoft-forgot-to-give-far-cry-primal-a-season-1760665137

Pop quiz: What makes Far Cry Primal different than all the other games Ubisoft has released over the past year? No, it’s not the mammoths. Not the fake language they made just for this game, either. Give up? The answer: There’s no season pass.

It’s 2016, man. Big companies don’t just release games and then supplement them with downloadable content like they did in the old days (2013).

Oddly, I left it out and Kotaku also forgot to mention another positive in this iteration.
The game doesn't contain MMO part either!

Is it a mustbuy then?
If it wasn't Ubisoft with history of broken releases I'd already yell "instapreorder". But I was bitten by a snake so to anyone interested, I suggest waiting for some user reports before buying.
Ignore gaming sites reviews, please, apart from Angry Joe's youtube vid I don't remember any critic dropped the score of XCom2 due to the broken release, and some horrible bugs are not widely known yet like this one:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/02/22/xcom-2-final-mission-graphics-glitch/

Last edited:
It's great with it's setting and atmosphere.
Love what they did with night time... like switching to hard, almost horror mode on the fly. You hear growling all around you, animal's glowing eyes...really great hunting experience. More games should do this.
It's a damn shame that Ubi uses so little of historic setting for creative storytelling and squanders it on collect x/y run arounds.

I'm on the fence with this one. What's the weapon and animal variety like? I'd get quite bored killing the same thing with the same weapons over and over.

Animal AI, do they fight each other or are they their just to kill the protagonist? do they fight differently or are they all similar? Is there any story to speak of?

Are there monsters or people to fight or all just animals?

I'm on the fence with this one. What's the weapon and animal variety like? I'd get quite bored killing the same thing with the same weapons over and over.

Animal AI, do they fight each other or are they their just to kill the protagonist? do they fight differently or are they all similar? Is there any story to speak of?

Are there monsters or people to fight or all just animals?

From what I've seen, first person combat is not particularly improved, from previous FC's.
Outside of commanding animals, it seems very basic with few tricks ( bee grenades, man murdering owls?… ), no strong sense of impact from blows, no real variety of move sets or enemies with interesting/complex AI, some unpredictability through non scripted encounters and interaction with environment…only a bit better than combat from say, Bethesda.
Story also seems there more for the purpose of driving hunting and gathering aspect of the game than anything else.

One man quest to conquer the world armed only with animal magic, firebombing owls, poison gas arrows and multiple shot bows... And that just from the preview... he might actually be able to craft AK 47 later... Pathetic!

They didn't reuse the map, they were reinspired. ;)

They might have learned how to be successful from the Force Awakens....

Back
Top Bottom