BioWare - Several Unannounced Projects

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Dual Shockers has news that BioWare Austin is working on seven unannounced games.

Looks like the cogs are in motion at Star Wars: The Old Republic‘s studio BioWare Austin, as showcased by quite a few job opportunity ads published by Electronic Arts, all including the same introduction, like this one for a Senior Software Engineer (discovered by NeoGaf user Nirolak).

"BioWare Austin is home to the critically acclaimed and award winning Star Wars®: The Old Republic™ MMO. After the hugely successful addition of its Free 2 Play option and the highly praised launch of space PVP with the Galactic Starfighter expansion, the Austin team continues driving forward with SW:TOR and is also hard at work on several unannounced projects. Apply today and learn about the exciting opportunities at our Studio. It’s an amazing time to come and work with us!"

Unfortunately the posts don’t give many solid hint as to what those “several projects” entail, but at leas one may be a MMORPG or an action game, or a mix of both, as hinted by another ad seeking testers.

"BioWare is hiring temporary game testers. Our ideal candidates have played both online games such as MMORPGs (Star Wars the Old Republic, DC Universe Online) and action games (Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, Infamous)."

Of course we won’t know much more than this until something else leaks out, or an official announcement is made. For now we need to be content with knowing that something is brewing, or “several” somethings, to be more precise.
More information.

Several not seven. Also projects which could actually mean more expansion packs for The Old Republic, and not full blown games.
Not very enticing news(not to me anyway) though, it is Mythic(Bioware "Austin") not the real Bioware.

Wow seven, as in 7!

I dunno, would it not be better to make 2 or 3? And make them good and in reasonable time? Am I the only one thinks, oh my seven, maybe you overstretch yourself a bit?

What can it be?

Star Wars the Browser Game
Star Wars the Action Shooter
Star Wars KOTOR III
Dragon Age V
Dragon Age the Browser Game
Mass Effect Online

Changed it. ;) To me several is seven so I don't see the big deal. It's a wonder I even post this type of news given the replies they get.^^

Several not seven. Also projects which could actually mean more expansion packs for The Old Republic, and not full blown games.
Not very enticing news(not to me anyway) though, it is Mythic(Bioware "Austin") not the real Bioware.
Mythic is in Virginia and has really nothing to do with BioWare Austin.

Mythic is in Virginia and has really nothing to do with BioWare Austin.

Bioware Austin consists mostly of employees who used to work at mythic. Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember reading that somewhere. Though as I can find any reliable proof I must suggest that you are correct.
Still pretty much none of Bioware Austin consists of people who actually worked at Bioware Edmonton(the original Bioware studio who makes Dragon Age, The Mass Effect trilogy(not the new one(ME4) though), KOTOR, JE, and Most importantly the PC Baldurs Gate games).

Ray Muzyka & Greg Zeschuk quit Bioware over a year ago. Methinks the real Bioware no longer exists.

Bioware Austin consists mostly of employees who used to work at mythic. Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember reading that somewhere. Though as I can find any reliable proof I must suggest that you are correct.
Still pretty much none of Bioware Austin consists of people who actually worked at Bioware Edmonton(the original Bioware studio who makes Dragon Age, The Mass Effect trilogy(not the new one(ME4) though), KOTOR, JE, and Most importantly the PC Baldurs Gate games).

There was plenty of BioWare Edmonton people who worked on TOR. James Ohlen, designer at BioWare since BG, was TOR lead designer. Quite a few writers, including the lead, came from Edmonton (mostly from DAO too). The combat lead designer (who left since) was the combat lead for DAO.

I think you are mixing up EA putting Mythic under the BioWare umbrella a few years ago, but they undid that last year (or the year before). Mythic helped out TOR development, but the BioWare Austin was made of BioWare Edmonton people and MMO industry Veterans (a good bunch of them worked on SWG).

How many phone games I wonder. Maybe Joxer can give us an estimate? :p

One or none. The current hit is nextgen consoles not phones, so it would be rational to assume that most of projects are linked to new consoles.

Besides EA outsources phonegames to easy to kill if necessary crap studios (for example Sims Freeplay is not made by Maxis but by Iron Monkey) so I really don't believe they'd waste Bioware potential on making junk.

A new stand-alone Star Wars PC RPG would make my millennium…
Rumors say that one is, but I'll wait for confirmation before believing it.

A new stand-alone Star Wars PC RPG would make my millennium…
A new stand-alone anything would make my millennium.

Hopefully either Obsidian or Bioware is developping kotor 3. I personally hope its obsidian since kotor 2 gave a whole other spin to star wars. I really liked what they did..Kreai was one of the coolest mentor characters. That being said i wouldn't say no to more traditional kotor 3 from Bioware.

I'd also love to see a sequel to Jade empire. Maybe a bit more rpg and less linear this time around. Or something similar to Jade empire.

Considering EA managed to get exclusive rights to all things star wars it is pretty much guaranteed that it will be something starwars-y.
Mickey Unleashed or The Revenge Of Scrooge maby?
I rather doubt Obsidian will do another kotor as they have their own ip now and will have no problems crowd funding more.
Since pretty much all the real talent at "bioware" has quit i cant say i have any hopes of seeing anything worthwhile in the star wars universe for quite some time.

Bioware destroyed the KOTOR story beyond recognition with TOR so any StarWars related RPG can't have anything to do with the Kotors' plots.

I've not played TOR (I don't play generic mmo rubbish) but how has its plot affected the Kotors? Surely the setting is large enough to create something independent of anything within that story arc.

Back
Top Bottom