South Park: Fractured but Whole - E3 Trailer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
A new South Park RPG has been announced at the E3: Fractured but Whole:

From the creators of South Park, Trey Parker and Matt Stone, comes South Park: The Fractured but Whole, a sequel to 2014’s award-winning South Park: The Stick of Truth. Players will once again assume the role of the New Kid, and join South Park favorites Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman in a new hilarious and outrageous RPG adventure.
This time around it is not developed by Obsidian. Thanks Couch for the info!

More information.

I'm a huge fan of the show, but I couldn't play The Stick of Truth for more than a few hours. I need more than just humor to stay interested in a game, and that's really all it offered.

It didn't help that TSoT also has some of the worst combat mechanics I've ever seen in an RPG. It's basically just one QTE after another.

The first game kept me interested pretty much the whole time. I love QTE's. I wish more RPG's added QTE's.
No matter if that was sarcasm or not (I hope it was), there are people really thinking this way.
Makes me shudder… QTEs are the dub step of gaming :S

Not developed by Obsidian is not saying much here, as the first game was not very Obsidian-y to begin with.
I just hope that they change the combat system. I can do with less RPG (like Costume Quest, for example), but I really don't want another South Park game that pretends it is an RPG with loads of artificial stuff that has no meaning at all in the actual game mechanics.
The first game became significantly worse once you realized that nothing you invested in your characters had any meaning as everything was so easy one could do it blindfolded.

First one was done by Obsidian. This one is not.

Doesn't really matter. They will use the same engine done by Obsidian, and the South Park creators will still be the ones making the content and providing the humor.

Gameplay was not for me but I had really fun watching others play it thanks to the humor. So will likely do the same thing for this game and have a real blast.

They will use the same engine done by Obsidian

That seems very unlikely, though not impossible of course. Onyx is Obsidian's engine rather than Ubisoft's own 2d one or a licensed one like UE, it has been discontinued by them and so far as we know it never had support added for next gen consoles. It's far more likely that they'd use Ubi's own 2d engine, South Park itself is done in Maya so anything capable of importing Maya (ie pretty much any engine in existence) can get the graphical resources, they aren't Onyx exclusive.

I wonder why it's not being done by Obsidian... were Trey and Matt disappointed with Obsidian's implementation the first go-around? Or is it a matter of resources/timing, with Obsidian likely mired in that Russian World of Tanks thing right now + PoE expansion.

QTEs killed the game for me, too.

That Eurogamer article doesn't really say why, just that it is so....and a "Don't cry for us" quote from Obsidian, pointing to their other current projects.

That Eurogamer article doesn't really say why, just that it is so….and a "Don't cry for us" quote from Obsidian, pointing to their other current projects.
Well it's the only reason we will get as both sides wont say anything more.:)

True enough.

Back
Top Bottom