Dungeon Lords MMXII - D.W. Bradley Returns

Current voucher code for 20% damn near anything: GMG20-AWDF9-Q1PEY

I just pre-ordered it. At $12 the risk is insignificant, and maybe I'll actually get a few hours out of it. If I don't like it, I'll just give my copy to CrazyIrish. ;)

What does the "MMXII" stand for?

:D

Given the thousands of words I have written about Dungeon Lords … I agree :)

ToEE is an amazing game that was unpolished but had such a tremendous core of greatness (it WAS a Troika game, after all) … DL was a nice attempt to meld Gothic, Jedi Knight II and Wizardry …

I'm talking about the old-school vibe - not the gameplay or mechanics.

Both games had a very powerful "back-in-the-day PnP" vibe.

Well, they did for me.

Also, though I grant that ToEE was somewhat more "finished" at release - both games are pretty barebones when it comes to the meat of the content.

Claiming that ToEE was "amazing" must mean you have a serious crush on combat simulators - because everything else was really unfinished and messy :)

MMXII = 2012 in roman numerals.

I can't believe he re-released this. Or is it re-re-released? Why not polish Wizards & Warriors and do a 2012 release of that? At least that was a good game. :p

What does the "MMXII" stand for?

Roman numbers.
M=1000
D=500
C=100
L=50
X=10
V=5
I=1

5th grade school stuff. ;)
Numbers are added, but small numbers to the left of big numbers are subtracted from that one. For example: MCM is 1000 + (- 100 + 1000) = 1900.
MMXII is trivial: 1000 + 1000 + 10 + 1 + 1 = 2012.
In reality things are a bit more complex, but this is enough to puzzle together simple numbers. It's a serious numerical system. Powerful enough to keep Rome afloat for hundreds of years. ;)

Claiming that ToEE was "amazing" must mean you have a serious crush on combat simulators - because everything else was really unfinished and messy :)

Or on cloaks that swooshed in the breeze with motion ... or harshly enforced Paladin rules ... or nonsensical quests ... and stuff :) Yeah, you're right - but compared to DL ...

I just pre-ordered it. At $12 the risk is insignificant, and maybe I'll actually get a few hours out of it. If I don't like it, I'll just give my copy to CrazyIrish. ;)

Excellent. I think it would make more of an impression if I were to defecate on a genuine copy :)

5th grade school stuff. ;)

Especially if you live so close to a well-known roman town like Cologne, in my case. ;)

We learned the basics of that and of the Romans in elementary school. At that time our class (or even school ?) visited the Praetorium in Cologne, and by that time I had learned and memorized the roman name of Cologne : Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensum. Which much, much later became first "Colonia", then "Cologne". ;)

And there are more romawn towns in Germany … At least the people in Cologne are very proud of their "Roman Heritage". ;)

And there are more romawn towns in Germany … At least the people in Cologne are very proud of their "Roman Heritage". ;)

People in my area are very proud that the Roman expedition to Germania ended here, quite suddenly. "Quinctilius Varus, give me back my Legions!" (Emperor Augustus) ;)

I do! The combat system and the lovely art direction are easily enough for me to call ToEE "amazing".

As I've said many times before, quests, dialogue and most other "content" and writing in cRPGs is weak no matter what game you're talking about. The most it has going for it is to serve as a mechanic to get you from one fight to the next with the occasional puzzle thrown in (if you're lucky). Just because a given game's dialogue and plot may be less weak, trite and predictable than ToEE doesn't mean it's good (I'm looking at you, Bioware).

Of course, if you're talking strictly about bugginess, I withdraw my soapbox speech. :)

I do! The combat system and the lovely art direction are easily enough for me to call ToEE "amazing".

As I've said many times before, quests, dialogue and most other "content" and writing in cRPGs is weak no matter what game you're talking about. The most it has going for it is to serve as a mechanic to get you from one fight to the next with the occasional puzzle thrown in (if you're lucky). Just because a given game's dialogue and plot may be less weak, trite and predictable than ToEE doesn't mean it's good (I'm looking at you, Bioware).

Of course, if you're talking strictly about bugginess, I withdraw my soapbox speech. :)

Well, I have to disagree - severely - with that statement. If what you said was true, then Obsidian would be a big waste of space - and I don't think you'll find many around here to agree with that.

Combat and character development are indeed vital aspects of any RPG - but they're, by far, not the only important things.

If you took something like Bloodlines, and replaced the story/quests/dialogue with the trivial crap you find in ToEE - we'd be looking at something very, very different.

Then again, to each his own. If you don't enjoy well written characters and an engaging storyline - then it should be easy to find RPGs to match your tastes.

Obligatory "But... planescape torment!"

Really though that might be the exception that proves the rule. I think my idea of good writing allows for more room between brilliant and "in the way" than yours might though. Just as I enjoy and voraciously consume "good" books in between one or two really great ones I enjoy game writing that allows for alternate expressions of player choice and impact in addition to how I build my character. Even when some or most of the individual lines of dialogue might be a little wooden, I'm happier for having them if they open up substantive and believable options in plot and game-play.

I do have to agree that most of the time the overall writing quality of RPGs tends to be on the weak to very weak side of things though. If only Joss Whedon (writes good dialogue at least) and J. Micheal Straczynski (great with plots, not so keen on the speaking parts except when he lets the actors write them instead) could go bankrupt and be forced to write dialogue and game plots respectively for gruel and/or peanuts.

If Joss Whedon starts writing for my RPGs - I'll give up gaming! I can't stand his superficial snappy crap :)

I'm quite happy with the stuff Obsidian does, for the most part. Unfortunately - they have some rather significant flaws as well.

If Joss Whedon starts writing for my RPGs - I'll give up gaming! I can't stand his superficial snappy crap :)

I'm quite happy with the stuff Obsidian does, for the most part. Unfortunately - they have some rather significant flaws as well.

Alright then you get working on financially ruining John Scalzi, un-olding Elmore Leonard, and maybe resurrecting Douglas Adams while I get to work on bankrupting JMS for story-boarding.

If I can score this for US $10.00 or so, I may check it out. It was interesting before as I love combat but the endless mob zerg got old quick. At one point I remember not being able to get five paces away from the last battle before a new mob rush started. Over and over and over...

Like was posted above; "This time with furniture and other stuff!!!".

Intriguing thread drift as always ... :D

I got an email this morning that I will be able to download DL MMXII starting tomorrow morning ... I have to admit that when I saw an email titled 'About your Dungeon Lords Order ...' I fully expected it to be about a delay/cancellation.

Well I did try the collectors edition of Dung Lords, a few months ago. It was painful due to the ice-skating main character, weapons failing to connect, crashes, excessive respawns…etc etc. Unless they've done a very significant overhaul, I'll avoid - look forward to reading Watchers' impressions.

I have to admit that when I saw an email titled 'About your Dungeon Lords Order …' I fully expected it to be about a delay/cancellation.

I would have expected a scam/phishing try ... ;)

txa1265, hopefully you have some savegames from various areas that you can quickly test the deeper parts of the game with, if they're compatible. Otherwise, we'll all have to wait till you get past the areas that DW actually finished.

Back
Top Bottom