The Cesspool

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the reason for that is others hurt your feelings by disagreeing with something? Or you're just hurt because someone from another forum joins here?
The reason is that some of our good posters go down the drain in this topic,your post being a fine example of what I'm saying.

I can´t care less whether parts of some forum are cesspool an underground area for liquid waste or not and this
each forum is different and fits the tastes of it's community.
sums the whole thing succinctly anyway, I´d just like to add a bit of more positive vibe and recommend visiting Codex Playground, which is a subforum dedicated to Let´s Plays.
For example, the "Let's Play Ultima: From Akalabeth To Ascension!" thread is seriously excellent.

I haven't posted here in months, but I do still browse the forums a bit, and this thread prompted me to respond.

There's more to wade through at The Codex, and if some of that somehow hurts or offends you, or if you feel it's simply beneath you, then maybe you really should avoid those forums. Myself, I see it as no big deal.

On the other hand, because it's more self-moderating, The Codex has a certain amount of greater potential. Carefully-moderated forums often end up being comfortable homes for challenged individuals. Folks like that hate places like The Codex and avoid them like the plague.

So say what you want about The Codex, but it isn't easy being stupid, medicated, codependent, psychotic or insane there, not if you want or need to be taken seriously.

It's simply a matter of choice, folks. The Watch has certain expectations and a resulting personality. Some people will accept the expectations because they value the resulting personality. For others, it won't be a fair trade. Similarly, the Codex has certain expectations (well, rather, an intentional absence of them) and a certain resulting personality. Some people will accept (or even celebrate) that resulting personality because they value the lack of expectations.

Neither answer is "universally right"--they just reflect different priorities. Elkston made a personal choice about the personality of the Codex and publicized this choice. Really no big deal.

I do find it a bit ironic that the Codex folks that posted here feel the need to refute Elkston's opinion (I assume that's the point since any other reason would be childish trolling) by celebrating all the "cesspool-ish" behavior that they allow (because they value being "free" to do it). If you're proud of your cesspool (and I'm fine with that choice), then there's no need to get yer panties in a knot because somebody calls it exactly that.

+1

……….

I don't get you. I just... don't. You want to block registrations for people who just want to share what they think about your opinion about them? Why? Are you afraid of them?

I say let people speak their minds, and don't block anything unless it's a line-cross.

Simple as can be.

After all, what people say is more revealing than what you don't allow them to say.

I say let people speak their minds, and don't block anything unless it's a line-cross.

Simple as can be.

After all, what people say is more revealing than what you don't allow them to say.

This. When they start trying to turn the Watch into their latest cesspool, ban them and their mothers. As long as they can act mature enough to post here, then let them.

Originally Posted by kostaz View Post
can't someone just lock this topic and close registrations for a few days?

If you do this the terrorists win.

The thing is that we're all strangers, and we don't really know each other. That's reason enough for me to (almost) never resort to emotional backlash. It serves no practical purpose, because the truth factor is missing.

I've got people hating me all over the net, and yet they've never met me and they've never really bothered to understand me. Maybe I'm really a nazi-psycho-bastard or whatever I've been called, but that's too easy for me.

We just… CAN'T know another person without a ton of information that's just going to stay absent - because even our presentation of our own person could be based on entirely false pretenses.

Of course, this goes for real life as well - but there are certain factors that you can't hide when all senses are at work. So I like to keep personal profiling on hold until I actually get to know someone.

But that's me.

I don't get you. I just… don't. You want to block registrations for people who just want to share what they think about your opinion about them? Why? Are you afraid of them?

I don't need you to "get" me. :)

I just thought maybe it was for the better. It looked like this was heading towards nothing but a big flame-out. Maybe I was wrong, which would be a good thing in this case.

Some are trying to turn it into a all out flame war. I guess living in their mothers' basement is boring, and they need something to occupy their time and make them feel all-powerful. Others actually are giving a good, if skewed, account of themselves. The latter can stay, the former can be banned for all I care.

I do find it a bit ironic that the Codex folks that posted here feel the need to refute Elkston's opinion (I assume that's the point since any other reason would be childish trolling) by celebrating all the "cesspool-ish" behavior that they allow (because they value being "free" to do it). If you're proud of your cesspool (and I'm fine with that choice), then there's no need to get yer panties in a knot because somebody calls it exactly that.
Some are trying to turn it into a all out flame war. I guess living in their mothers' basement is boring, and they need something to occupy their time and make them feel all-powerful. Others actually are giving a good, if skewed, account of themselves. The latter can stay, the former can be banned for all I care.
So is this that "passive/aggressive" stuff you're all been going on about?
Seems rather cute. I might mix it in with the usual blunt abuse once in a while. Looks like it might lure an enemy into thinking you're a defenseless weakling full of fail. And then when he least expects it you go back to throwing scathing insults that make him curse the twinkle in his father's eyes on the night he was conceived.
SCNR

Anyway, why is this in General RPG?

As long as they can act mature enough to post here, then let them.

When you learn to read English, then come back. I quoted what I posted, and anyone whose graduated third grade would know those weren't flames against DA:O. All you have is drug-induced hallucinations.

just sayin´ ;)

Btw, in regards to OT, managing to troll two sites at once with one, single line post is quite a feat.

Last edited:
Big difference, Comedy Central's "uncut" material only airs from Midnight till about 4am.
It's not that much of a difference at all as they could play the same material anytime they please. They do it as a courtesy, not as an obligation.

I agree with Dhruin in that it is not what it once was, a place where in depth RPG discussion would occur, but is the lack of moderation to blame or the lack of any noteworthy RPG's over the recent years? You know the saying about idle hands. I blame games like Oblivion that created the influx of the "LOLer Alliance", a group of angry, disappointed individuals with nowhere else to vent their frustration with the current RPG market.

On the other hand, because it's more self-moderating, The Codex has a certain amount of greater potential. Carefully-moderated forums often end up being comfortable homes for challenged individuals. Folks like that hate places like The Codex and avoid them like the plague.
I agree with this. If you pad the walls no one can break through the barriers, so to speak.

Some are trying to turn it into a all out flame war. I guess living in their mothers' basement is boring, and they need something to occupy their time and make them feel all-powerful.
And this is your attempt to assure an all-out flame war, I take it? Ironic that this post would fit well with the Codex, though a little weak on the flame side of things. Childish remarks as this would go over lukewarmly at best, but you'd be well on your way.

You know what they say about becoming that which you hate most.

Last edited:
Last I checked, I'm only on this site. Never bothered to start a codex account, and any other sites I'm not aware of. And my civility ends quickly when someone starts randomly hallucinating that I said something or did something.

Why is this not in Off Topic?

It's not that much of a difference at all as they could play the same material anytime they please. They do it as a courtesy, not as an obligation.

You know this to be a fact? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd be curious to see any actual information that supports that.

RPGWatch - a bunch of wimpy faggots who are like fucking carebears. So much cocksucking that you lost your balls? All this "please, don't hurt other people feelings" crap is as stupid as political correctness.

And you are far more vicious than Codex, just because you are trying to hide insults in a well-developed, full of euphemisms sentences. You are so scared of your moderators that it is the only way of expressing your feelings, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom