Dark Souls - Hands-on @ RPS, Eurogamer

Difficulty settings can only be a part of the game if it's been built with that in mind from the ground and up. A good example is Alien vs Predator 1 where the devs put a lof of effort into balancing the game with very limited save points, you couldnt just save anywhere. This so that you would be on the edge of your seat at all times instead of saving before every corner and never really have any fear of dying.

A lot of people complained to the publisher because they (PC people are spoiled with 'easy mode') werent used to this in games. So eventually they got a patch that allowed them to save anywhere. But it's no longer the same game, the patch didn't add something to the game, it removed a large, fundamental portion of the gameplay.

So don't use the save anywhere feature. Problem solved.

Dark Souls is about dying, it's a big portion of the gameplay, you're supposed to both fear it and also often embrace it as a part of the gameplay, it really does require very careful tweaking and it just wouldnt be the same game in easy-mode, you'd have something else entirely.

But yes, i'm sure you will get your easy-mode mod. I'm just saying there's a reason why it's not built into the game and why such a thing will remove a big portion of the gameplay. I agree that mods are great, but only when they add something to the gameplay.

So don't use the easy-mode mod. Problem solved.

I'm mean really why do you care how others want to play, when the way they want to play is optional?

Of course it will change the gameplay that's what some people seem to want.

If you play the game as it is for 60 hours and have a great time is that really better than if some one plays it on easy for 60 hours and has a great time?

So don't use the save anywhere feature. Problem solved.

No. What if i had bought the game after the patch was out (it's very unlikely i wouldnt have patched it). Then i wouldnt have experienced it like the devs intended and with a much better atmosphere than post-patch, and i wouldn't have enjoyed the game at all.

I'm mean really why do you care how others want to play

We've been over this already on the previous page, not gonna repeat myself.

Difficulty settings can only be a part of the game if it's been built with that in mind from the ground and up. A good example is Alien vs Predator 1 where the devs put a lof of effort into balancing the game with very limited save points, you couldnt just save anywhere. This so that you would be on the edge of your seat at all times instead of saving before every corner and never really have any fear of dying.

A lot of people complained to the publisher because they (PC people are spoiled with 'easy mode') werent used to this in games. So eventually they got a patch that allowed them to save anywhere. But it's no longer the same game, the patch didn't add something to the game, it removed a large, fundamental portion of the gameplay.

Dark Souls is about dying, it's a big portion of the gameplay, you're supposed to both fear it and also often embrace it as a part of the gameplay, it really does require very careful tweaking and it just wouldnt be the same game in easy-mode, you'd have something else entirely.

But yes, i'm sure you will get your easy-mode mod. I'm just saying there's a reason why it's not built into the game and why such a thing will remove a big portion of the gameplay. I agree that mods are great, but only when they add something to the gameplay.

No. What if i had bought the game after the patch was out (it's very unlikely i wouldnt have patched it). Then i wouldnt have experienced it like the devs intended and with a much better atmosphere than post-patch, and i wouldn't have enjoyed the game at all.

We've been over this already on the previous page, not gonna repeat myself.

That is a different issue and one I agree with you on, because its not an option its a change that is force upon all players. If it was an option that you choose before starting a new game(saves anywhere on/off) then that would not be an issue. Options are good, esp when considering disabled gamers.

I found this video that takes a look at the PC version of Dark Souls. And it seems it's an awful awful port. I mean it looks horrendous. The even kept the same xbox control tooltips. How bloody lazy is that? And they can't say that it's too hard to change those. Just awful imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kiz3fzY0kSY

They said from the very begining it would be a straight port with nothing changed really, they were completely honest about it so i didnt have a problem buying it. The loading times from my SSD are obviously superior to my loud 360, the framerate is at constant 30 instead of 15-25, the graphics are better and there's 10h of extra content. It would be this or nothing, and this is better ;)

Some screens (with the res mod active)

http://piclair.com/data/hv5vr.jpg
http://piclair.com/data/vm6t2.jpg
http://piclair.com/data/444yg.jpg

I have it on PS3 - and I don't really see a need for it on PC.

For whatever reason, I just can't get my mind to a place where I can get into the game.

I played quite a bit of Demon's Souls - but I also gave up on that one.

It's like there's something missing beyond the excellent challenge and atmosphere. Maybe a better story delivery and better item/upgrade mechanics would do....

It's "needed" if you want to play a superior version when it comes to framerate, graphics and loading.. If you didnt get far you also didnt get to see the item/upgrade functions that much, it's very limited at first, I think it's fun and nice system. I actually think the mechanics are the main thing that makes the game so good, atmosphere too, it's unique in so many ways. Story isnt anything special no, it rarely is in games.

It's "needed" if you want to play a superior version when it comes to framerate, graphics and loading.. If you didnt get far you also didnt get to see the item/upgrade functions that much, it's very limited at first, I think it's fun and nice system. I actually think the mechanics are the main thing that makes the game so good, atmosphere too, it's unique in so many ways. Story isnt anything special no, it rarely is in games.

I'm talking about needing it enough to pay for it again, which I certainly don't.

As for the mechanics, I guess they're similar to the first game. Problem was that itemization was relatively limited and there really isn't much in the way of evolution of power. You gain spells, yeah, but not really any new moves or abilities beyond that.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

Anyway, lots of games have good stories - at least I think so.

Still, it's a good game - just not something I'm all that interested in.

Too much good stuff right now - and just around the corner.

The moves are weapon based, but no you dont specifically learn new moves. It's a game where you're supposed to feel weak, very much unlike most RPG's where you end up as a demi-god, often in no-time, i found it to be a nice change.

Back
Top Bottom