Gothic 3 chests and the rewards they hold...

curious

liberty or license
as im about 90% finished, im guessing with my second play through, i'm finally think i've figured out just how unique items are 'dropped' in chests. there are 5 types of chests, not counting jars, that can be opened. 4 of which require locks. 2 of these locked chests can be opened with your starting lockpicking skill. of these 2 one is wooden with some metal braces and the other is metal and either the same or similar looking to the chest requiring the skill-difficult locks. they are different though. all unique items are contained within the metal normal locks. i will explain in a moment.

for those thinking of sinking any points into thieving i would advise not wasting any points in lockpicking unless you play on becoming a full thief since all 'unique' items can be found without any lps in thievery, and the difficult and impossible locks will only give you more random items. also there are many open lock spell scrolls which can be used if you want, though there will not be enough to open all difficult and impossible locks.

i believe there are around 50 of these normal lockpicking skill metal chests throughout the kingdom, some in remote locations, and others in caves, ruins, and some even in towns: for example there are 2 in the upper vengard castle.
in these chests are rare weapons/shields, amulets and rings, and pure ore weapon recipes that can only be found once in an entire game.

now i am not entirely sure all the factors that go into exactly calcutating what you will get when you open one of these chests. it could be level based. it could be that each of these chest has a weighted value so it is more likely to give you a better one than another. but it is certain that you will find the better items later in the game so i believe it 'checks off' the weaker items first as you open one of these chests. this time through for example i am mid 70's level and have cleared all but 1/3 of nordmar and have found a couple higher quality level items than my first game in which i cleared all of nordmar but only 2/3 of varant.

it is unfortunate this is not one of the things i set about to map as i believe it could be possible if you opened all these chests even at a very early level then you could get the best weapons, though it would be tough. personally i like the way they did this with the chest as it negates the exploit of prior gothics where since you knew where the powerful items where from prior games you could make your way to them early on.

i would be interested to know what others think about this.

by the way i am compiling a list of normar with lots of detail that should be finished in a couple of days, for those who have had difficutly their. i started nordmar 20 levels higher than last game and although being a powerful mage makes things easier, i find it much easier than the first time after they cut substantially the size of animal packs and maybe their amount to. the orcs are still bountiful though!

I haven't played in a couple of weeks but always thought all random even special chest were level based, at least my guess. :)

WoG thinks the chest content is locked to the number of chests you´ve opened. The higher the number the higher the value.

I dunno ... I got thieving high enough to level to 'difficult' locks (can't *stand* leaving those chests around!) and still seem to find mostly random crap.

From my limited experience it seems a bit random too. But perhaps with
a "bias" related to the difficulty of the chest ?

@hwfanatic- you want to explain a bit better why you think it is a screw up and takes away from the game? personally i think it adds a whole new level of challenge and suprise to the game.

@gorath- yes i think its something along those lines for sure but it is not a linear path. if all unique items are on a line then the amount you open simply pushes you further down the line, but there is a window it picks from. its also possible that some of these normal metal chests are linked to either weapons or rings/amulets. because i swear that certain chests in the game always seem to reward weapons.

@txa1265-you can get over 40 thieving in the game without putting any points into it just to let you know in case you're thinking of getting more skills. also there is a thieving amulet of +10 you can find. i thought you were playing a 'lawfully good' character though eh?

@jonnik-the difficulty gives you different types of loot, but often the impossible chests give you the least valued stuff. however if you were a low level it might seem valuable since these chests always have gold in them, but i've never gotten more than 500 gold from them. but that gold is about the same value as the gold item "treasure" you can pick up so it makes sense this way.

does anyone know if you having 100 thievery enables you to continually 'make excuses' when you get caught stealing?

@txa1265-you can get over 40 thieving in the game without putting any points into it just to let you know in case you're thinking of getting more skills. also there is a thieving amulet of +10 you can find. i thought you were playing a 'lawfully good' character though eh?

That is one of those points where role-playing meets up with the guy who smashes every barrel and crate in NWN ... I will pick some locks, but only in the wild or dungeons. I won't pick pockets or learn any other thieving skills, or ever steal from people's houses.

It is even harder when you can tell that easy experience is being dangled before your eyes ...

what about in towns you have liberated? either way i envy your amount of restraint. gothic 3 really poses many morality questions. siding with even the 'good' faction like the rebels has you doing many evil deeds. have you mugged anyone mike? while not a main quest there is a fairly large quest that the only way you be able to complete it is through thieving and mugging which is strange because that same group of people also test you honesty by seeing if you lie-pirhana bytes like to toy with us!

oh and whats your opinion on dueling, do you take their weapons and items after you beat them?

@hwfanatic- you want to explain a bit better why you think it is a screw up and takes away from the game? personally i think it adds a whole new level of challenge and suprise to the game.
The whole Gothic world is defined at the start of the game. Places, people and their items, plants etc. But then for some reason when you open a chest, the game randomizes it's content on-the-fly. Why? I don't get it. I really don't. Is there some divine point to this that I'm missing?

Why doesn't it get randomized at world's creation (new game), or in the development phase and then just saved in some file... If I didn't have to load so much, I probably just wouldn't even noticed that this occurs. But now that I do, it sickens me to think it's yet another downgrade from previous installments.

i understand what you are saying. in gothic 1 i even wrote down all the lock combinations of all the chests so on other playthroughs i wouldn't break so many locks. but like i said some of the magic of finding a great item is lost when you know where it is. so with the removal of the lockpicking mini-game i think the way they set it up is great. it rewards you for not knowing where something is by your own past deeds, or someone elses, but by finding all those locked chests. and i noticed that if you reload a game and open the same chest next again without opening another first then you will get the same special item along with different random junk. haven't tried this with leveling up, but i think that might alter it as well. with all the people complaining about dumbing down, its odd to see this more advanced system getting any complaints.

Maybe from one perspective, but we all enjoyed Gothic 1.
I certianly did even though I knew where the good weapons were.
Not only that in most cases the weapons while known were still a challenge to get, which was much more personal design structure, well at least that I can think of at the moment. ;)

but like i said some of the magic of finding a great item is lost when you know where it is. so with the removal of the lockpicking mini-game i think the way they set it up is great.
This is a not a very good argument. Don't you agree that some magic is also lost when you know everything about the world, story, characters, quests and items (in other words every aspect of the game)? Why would you even try to justify this new system on the base of replay ability?

Once upon a time you could spend all the time in the world and all the pick locks you have if you really wanted or needed to open a chest badly enough, either because you're never coming back or because you're in a great opportunity. Not any more! I really think the new system is dumb. It is possible that it is a trade-off to the average American* player who just can't be bothered by the mini-games. Why would the rest of us have to suffer? And the game is fully impregnated with these trade-offs and degradations. It makes me sick really. And disappointed, of course.

*) Not referring to Americans specifically (although this time around PB did target the American market intentionally), it's just a figure of speech really. Meaning: those players that are not to be bothered by little things, learning curves and such.

Last edited:
why does everyone feel the need to turn a discussion of a game into a forum for their hatred towards other, ie americans. anyone who does this loses all credibilty to me in discussing anything else. i mean hwfanatic, even your tag suggests that you don't care what others have to think. go play a game where you can kill americans, and stop playing gothic 3 which you apparently hate along with americans. and actually your comment about mini-games makes no sense, since most console games and dumbed down games are full of mini-games so much so that that is often all they offer.

and by the way i am disgusted by many things are country has done, and by some of the sick-minded people in this country. and even if the average american were less intelligent and less cultured it still doesn't make them evil or worse people. america is and has been in a decline in many ways, but it also has a lot of potential, and its possible that if enough people try to make a 'difference' then the lofty dream of its founders could amount to something grand. it could also end up the backwater of the world, but again it matters what the people here do. not what outsiders say about our country who probably need to be doing all they can do in their own country which i'm sure is far from perfect.

Unless there is a supposition of nationalistic superiority / inferiority ... then there is no need to defend America or Americans. And if there is that supposition, then the problem is with the narrowminded person with that prejudice.

As for the locking system, I agree with hwfanatic even as I rolled my eyes at his parochialism. I liked the dex-influenced challenge of opening chests.

But at the same time I liked the mini-game in Dungeon Lords (uh-oh, that is an American game, since this is a European game that came after a poorly received American game - maybe G3 was dumbed down for Europeans ... hehehe ... sorry, had to make that rediculous leap ;) )

But I *hated* having to do it with *every* chest - but I'd rather have to endure that than get a binary chest-open respose.

It's a figure of speech. Deal with it, or don't it is your choice. The game has been Americanized, or if you don't like this particular term - simplified (in all the wrong places might I add). I'm sorry, I didn't make this term up, nor did I stroll away from the subject. It is you who chose to write a short paper on something you don't really know about (me). Where do you find the nerve to talk about bias...

It's a figure of speech. Deal with it, or don't it is your choice.
It is a figure of speech among idiots - do you run around calling everything 'gay' like a 13-year old also?

actually what i wrote the paper on was what i had figured out about the chests in my over 200 hours with the game. i wanted to know if anyone else had figured out any details themselves. i wasn't talking about the prior gothics whose chest opening i enjoyed greatly. hearing those sounds of a click on your headphones is great and immersive. but its not in gothic 3. and as i've stated in other threads there is no point in complaining. why not trying to add what you've learned? if you don't like the game like some people, you've probably only learned new ways to not like the game. so really try to keep from littering (something americans do a lot of and you wouldn't want to be called one of those) in other peoples threads that are trying to delve into the mysteries of a game they enjoy.

The thing I think is more important loss is Picking Pockets now its much more cash flow like hunting was in G1 and G2 no xp is crap.
Damn Americans!
Hehe, I live here. :)

Back
Top Bottom