What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Gravity

Go see it.

And bring a towel with you to wipe off the sweat you get from all that suspense. :sweatdrop:

Finally watched it.

If only they didn't make a few "now that's just too much" scenes, this could have been a masterpiece of a decade. One thing is sure, I'm not becoming an astronaut after this. :)
A must have soundtrack.

Music: A
Everything else: B+

No entries?
Okay…

Disney loves Apple:
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2014/02/disney-movies-anywhere/

They've launched an iOS application to stream (almost) any Disney movie on your crap precious barely visible brilliant iphone touchscreen.
As you may read in the article, Frozen is already added inside, it's weeks before the DVD release.

Since I've mentioned it, IMO Frozen is an utter disappointment.
Animation is perfect and that's it. Everything else is subpar and I can't see anything worth watching in that movie. Not even songs are good, can't remember Disney had so many meh scores in a movie.
Or perhaps I've expected too much? After recent Tangled and Brave, probably I did.

Sorry, but I just can't recommend Frozen to anyone. No, the brilliant animation is not the reason you should watch it. Ever. Unless you really have nothing else to watch.
D

Last edited:
Finally watched it.

If only they didn't make a few "now that's just too much" scenes, this could have been a masterpiece of a decade. One thing is sure, I'm not becoming an astronaut after this. :)
A must have soundtrack.

Music: A
Everything else: B+

Triplepost! Guys, cmon, I can't believe noone watched any movie at all.

The reason I'm "spamming" is that I've just heard Gravity took the best original score, sound edit and sound mixing oscars. And some more, but I don't care for those more as those more are usually based on politics. Or cash earned in cinemas.

If you didn't watch the movie and don't plan to, buy the goddamned soundtrack, yes, it's unbeatable and possibly the best modern style thing I've heard in years after signal all clear. Those three oscars are well deserved.

OK, I'm Game :)

I just saw Behind the Candelabra. As you know, this film/movie is about Liberace and his life from 1977 t0 1987 told through the eyes of Scott Thorson. I found the movie to be very, no, not nice, but well scripted and well acted, especially from the main characters. And especially Michael Douglass as Liberace. A very great performance - the Oscar for this performance was and is very well deserved :)

American Hustle

Wonderful cast (Jennifer Lawrence was particularly good), entertaining film. I usually stick to matinees but this one was worth the full price.

Just today, I watched a film called the name of the rose (1986)

The Name of the Rose is a 1986 film directed by Jean-Jacques Annaud, based on the book of the same name by Umberto Eco. I haven't myself read the book, so I can't say how faithfully it stays to source material, but after watching this film I'm definitely going to read the book as well.

Anyhow the films begins as the Franciscan friar William of Baskerville and his apprentice Adso of Melk are about to arrive in a remote benedictine abbey in Northern Italy. Strange deaths have occured there and these men have been called upon to investigate the matter and solve this deadly mystery. The film is set in the early 14:th century europe when cloisters were still the center of learning and education in europe. The contrast between cloister life and the life outside cloisters is captured quite nicely.

I was really surprised how intriguing this film's story was. I can only imagine how good the book must be. Moreover what I really wish to hightlight is how authentic the film felt.

I'm not sure about the final verdict yet as I haven't had much time to reflect what I saw, but likely 8/10 :)

Some things are a bit different from the book.
For example "the witch" lives. Not in the book.
Just 8? It deserves 9 easily.
:)

And do read the book. It's a masterpiece.

Can anyone help me ?

In SWTOR there has been a "mood" released; it is called "Cobalt durasteel", and the only answer I got for my question what this is supposed to mean led me to a movie called "Zoolander" of which I have never heard before. Or maybe not with this title.

So I'm still completely clueless.

Can anyone help me ? The person told me that this "mood" you can apply to your toons comes from that movie, and the person really didn't elaborate what he or she meant with it. The person saiud "if you never saw the movie you won't understand it".

You don't need help. That person needs help. Zoolander is one of the most stupid movies I've seen in my life.

Oh, thank you, that at least helps me forget the fact that no-one else has answered me in the SWTOR forums yet. ;)

Erm… Just a reminder. At least for those who live in certain world parts…

The Raid 2 (Berandal) is just about to go cinemas. March 28th, in Indonesia, US, Australia, Malaysia, New Zealand, and Russia. I'm jealous, hopefully won't have to wait months after to watch it here. It wouldn't surprise me though, it's an indonesian movie and there is a small chance it won't go direct2DVD here. :(
Anyway, it was highly praised on Sundance festival and after the first movie (a masterpiece!) it should be at least very good.

For those who don't like that kind of movies, there is always Blubberella DVD or amazon instant video:
http://www.amazon.com/Blubberella-Uwe-Boll/dp/B005R6UQ3I
I think I've already said that I want that poster desperately. Only the poster.

Last edited:
In short, 'Blue Steel' was the name of one of the trademark faces the protagonist of Zoolander made (~his 'looks').

Oh, thank you. I never knew that.

Funningly, I never heard about Blubberella here. :lol:

Seems that the cinema reporters are already completely gnoring him. :lol:

We watched 'Dallas Buyers Club', and thought it was excellent - kept us engaged the whole time, great acting by Matthew McConaughey, Jared Leto and Jennifer Garner.

Interestingly, compared to Gravity and American Hustle, this was the first one that we wouldn't have called 'good but not great'. Deserved whatever it got ... well, pending seeing the rest of the movies, of course. Maybe we'll catch up before next year ... :)

Accidentally I saw a satire today on TV. (At least I hope it was one.) It was about recent movies.

The satire consisted of an "movie of the year" prize, which was announced by a short movie which consisted of lots of glued-together scenes of fights, death, destruction, fire, bombs, destructtion, death, jumping, fights, fire, weapons, destruction, fire, wasted lands. Did I mention fire ?

The prize was awarded to "Tribute of Panem : Catching Fire", of course. ;)

I watched Turbo, the animated cartoon about a very fast snail. However, the movie was not as good as expected. They story was bland and sort of predictable, the characters not that great, and the plot was one seen before. The storytelling was bad as well.

I also watched Hunger Games: Catching Fire. I was really looking forward to this movie after having watched the first movie in this trilogy. However, I didn't find the movie as good as the first one. If the meaning was to show us that Katniss's victory in the 74th Hunger Games spurred a the spark of rebellion, it didn't do so, I find. Only in a few glimpses did we see this. And the plot twist was visible not one mile, but at least 2 or, if not 5 miles away! Also, I found the movie to be way to long; at 2 hours and 15 minutes of playing time (without credits etc.) they easily could have cut at least 15 minutes, if not 15-30 minutes out of this movie, particularly when they were showing the events of the 75th Hunger Games.

I was already thinking of buying "Turbo". And I always feared that the story might be not that good ...

I watched "The Croods" on DVD a few days ago. It's an really nice story with lots of humour in it - and also with a few more serious moments ... And especially in the end you can see that it was made by Dreamworks, the same company that did "How to train your dragon", too ... I liked it ! :)

I just saw Night train to Lisbon, a movie directed by Bille August. It is about an English? professor in Bern, Schweiz who, on the spur of moment takes train to Lisbon at night. Not a very interesting movie at first, it seems. However, once in Lisbon, Portugal, the movie takes a very interesting turn down memory lane re: certain event which happened in Portugal 40 years ago. (hint: salazar)

Back
Top Bottom