Great IceWind Dale Deals at Amazon

txa1265

SasqWatch
Don't know if this works internationally, but if you are in the US and don't have IWD yet, now is the time to act ...

Icewind Dale II for $4.99

Icewind Dale Ultimate Collection for $19.99
From the Manufacturer
Journey deep into the Spine of the World, a harsh and unforgiving environment teaming with merciless beasts and terrible dangers. In this exclusive adventure pack developed by award-winning Black Isle Studios, are the full versions of Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter, Icewind Dale II, the critically acclaimed soundtrack for Icewind Dale, bonus CDs, including Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter strategy guides, an additional level, and a set of 4 character portraits from Icewind Dale II.

For Europeans, I suggest this.

Each game on a single DVD. Get the corresponding Baldur's Gate DVD compilation while you're at it (nice bundle price for both, btw), consisting of BG1 + TotSC + BG2 + ToB on a total of 4 DVDs.

Apparently, those DVD compilations have/won't be released in North America.

Apparently, those DVD compilations have/won't be released in North America.

No ... there is profound publisher idiocy regarding the US and DVD versions ... although with older games like this, doing CD makes some sense (as opposed to the *6* CD's I had to shuffle for Mage Knight Apocalypse ... )

Don't know if this works internationally, but if you are in the US and don't have IWD yet, now is the time to act ...

Icewind Dale II for $4.99

Icewind Dale Ultimate Collection for $19.99

Nice!
thanks for the heads-up, HomeSkillet!

Never got around to the IWD games. Strange that for once Amazon itself has the lowest price, usually it's.. well, not them but one of the other vendors there.

"Ultimate Collection" according to a poster there:
1.Icewind Dale (2 CD's)
2.Icewind Dale Expansion Heart of Winter (1CD)
3.Icewind Dale II (2 CD's)
4.Icewind Dale soundtrack
5.Icewind Dale II bonus disk
6.Icewind dale strategy guides, trailer of IWD II

Last edited:
The Baldurs Gate compilation is on 1 DVD, not 4.

Great post by the way, txa1265, I remember paying $59.99 for IWD2 alone,(collectors edition of course) and it was worth every penny.

Well, *my* Baldurs Gate compilation is on 2 DVDs (the two main games) and 2 CDs (the add-ons)

:)

Oh, very nice! I lost my ID disk some time ago. Now I can pick up a new one and play expansion and sequel for super cheap. Thanks Mike. Now I'm a happy camper (pun intended?). :D

No ... there is profound publisher idiocy regarding the US and DVD versions ...
Yes. Indeed.

I once asked at Interplay about the Icewind Dale Soundtrack CD, whether it would be sold here in Europe, too.

No, was the answer. I was not really surprised.

Over the time I have grown kind of a prejudice that publishers are biased towards the US. I put it into this sentence : "Bigger, better, first". The Collector's Edition of Icewind Dale was originally not planned for Europe, if I remember correctly. And it didn't even contain a Soundtrack CD.

The Icewind Dale Soundtrack CD was released here in Germany much later in an Icewind Dale compilation.

The Baldurs Gate compilation is on 1 DVD, not 4.

Good luck fitting 11 crammed CDs on a single DVD. ;)

It's probably as Kasper said though, 2 DVDs (one for each game) and 2 CDs (one for each expansion) - I didn't check the format of the discs after I bought it.

Over the time I have grown kind of a prejudice that publishers are biased towards the US. I put it into this sentence : "Bigger, better, first".

Sure ... unless you want to get a soundtrack for the Gothic games ;)

Well ... yes. :D

This is one of the *really* rare occations that we get something first. :D

A friend of mine even ordered the Spellforce 2 Collector's Edition from the U.S. . ;)

But without Piranha bytes and Phenomic (Spellforce) things wouldn't look so reltively good.

I've had the entire series for years, it's well worth the money. They're very similar to BG1-2 in terms of gameplay, and have solid stories, but are much more linear and have far more dungeon crawling. If you keep that in mind, and still think it sounds great, you probably won't be dissappointed. :)

For me BG = very good, BG2 = very great, IWD1 = decent, IWD2 = not my cup of tea.

Nice!
"Ultimate Collection" according to a poster there:
1.Icewind Dale (2 CD's)
2.Icewind Dale Expansion Heart of Winter (1CD)
3.Icewind Dale II (2 CD's)
4.Icewind Dale soundtrack
5.Icewind Dale II bonus disk
6.Icewind dale strategy guides, trailer of IWD II

Wonder if the IWD II Bonus disk is that Trials of the Luremaster thing--where you get sent to the castle that's strangely reminiscent of the Severed Hand and have to unravel a bunch of puzzles while slaying yet more hordes of Undead.

Icewind Dale was a great dungeon crawler, and even Heart of Winter was enjoyable. In IWD II, the Infinity engine really started showing it's age. Also, IIRC, they rushed it out (was it during the last days of Interplay?)and had to use a lot of the same art & levels from IWD.

But for that price, man--definitely worth adding it to the collection.

Good luck fitting 11 crammed CDs on a single DVD. ;)

It's probably as Kasper said though, 2 DVDs (one for each game) and 2 CDs (one for each expansion) - I didn't check the format of the discs after I bought it.

If you click on the link and look at the product description, it says ...

"Special 4-game DVD-ROM".

I was just going by what it said.

Icewind Dale was a great dungeon crawler, and even Heart of Winter was enjoyable. In IWD II, the Infinity engine really started showing it's age. Also, IIRC, they rushed it out (was it during the last days of Interplay?)and had to use a lot of the same art & levels from IWD.

I thought it was neat that you revisited some of the levels from IWD 1. I'm pretty sure it was intentional.

I for one wish Bioware had made even more games using that engine. It also would have been nice to see a setting other than the Forgotten Realms or Planescape.

Trials of the Luremaster was even translated into German (hopefully into *any* language into which the main game was also translated).

This was a thing I hadn't expected, back then.

I really liked the game, but too much fighting became too boring to me.
Considering the really great flair and athmosphere, I had the feeling as if this was - after a German saying - pearls for pigs. I mean that I had the feeling as if this great athmosphere was worth something much more better than a mere dungeon crawl.
Wasted possiblilities, I'd say.

But for those who really love such a combat-oriented game it's really fun ! (Like it was in the beginning for me as well !)

By the way, Interplay still exists - although not much is left anymore. But their web site still works - although it is much, much smaller than in the Golden Days.

@Alrik
Well at least somebody cared for the crazed German/Euro gamers.;) I think you guys are pretty fortunate in having some excellent developers and games of your own, tho, too. (Is Jo-Wood a german company?)

I agree about the amount of content IWD had--it would have been nice to see it fleshed out a bit more. But I don't think they ever planned it to be much but a hack n slash title. Too bad....I'm sure it was a money thing. In this country, most things are.

Interplay does still exist, but as I'm sure you know the creators of the classic Black Isle games like IWD & Planescape have all moved on--quite a few went to Obsidian(J.E. Sawyer & Fearghus Urquehart are all I can remember right now.)--and worked on NWN2.

I think Interplay at this stage is all about that Fallout Online thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom