Outland 17 - On Square Collective

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Grenade Tree posted on our forum that their game Outland 17 is looking for votes on the Square Collective. If they win Square Enix will help the developer.
This is where the magic happens! Take a look through the projects, and if something catches your eye, you could help make it a reality – firstly by showing your support with a YES vote, and also by sharing your thoughts on the concept in the comments section of the pitch or pitch updates. Each project campaign lasts for 28 days, and at the end of that period, if there’s clear support for that idea, the team may be offered support through crowdfunding via the Collective campaign page on Indiegogo.

Outland 17: Void of Liberty is a turn-based tactical RPG designed to be accessible for casual gamers but enjoyable for the hardcore community. With an enticing story and the ability to engage in combat the way you want to play, there's something to offer for all in the universe of Outland 17. We'll soon be releasing more details and information so make sure to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest updates and game info.

• Open Ended Character Progression: Don't you hate it when you pick up a shotgun or sword and you can't use it because of your class? In Outland 17, characters aren't limited by class, but instead gain levels and abilities based on our play style. The more you have a character use a shotgon, the more abilities and perks they get for it. Tired of running and gunning with it? Switch to a melee weapon and start leveling your skill with it! Mix and match items and weapons to create your perfect team.
  • Accessible Gameplay: We have designed a system to work from the ground up to play well on any platform. It is easy to get started for casual gamers and multifaceted enough to hold the attention of veterans.
  • Impactful Choices: One of the challenges of making a unique Sci-Fi world is that most ideas have been done before. By drawing from the American Revolutionary War we can create a world with familiar themes, but yet take a different approach as to how things function and appear. By focusing on the motivations of the main character for starting a revolution, we are able to craft a story around your choices.
  • Epic Sci-fi Music Score: A revolution without music is a revolution not worth having! We set the environment with an awesome musical score composed by DS Wallace! His work includes composing custom samples and synthetic sounds for Tron: Evolution and the Prometheus and Gravity trailer campaign
More information.

Very nice GUI and clearly XCOM-style features welcome, turn based is superb, hopefully they will win over Square. But then there will be a lot of changes. Turn based feature must not be lost.

I agree with what the post above stated, "Turn-Based" must not be lost. There are not enough games with a good turn-based system. Divinity:Origina Sin and X-COM are just a few of the great titles that have recently had some success with turn based RPGs. I hope their success drives the game developers back to that very successful formula rather than the twitch fest that most games have become (Diablo and clones).

Lue.

Very nice GUI and clearly XCOM-style features welcome, turn based is superb, hopefully they will win over Square. But then there will be a lot of changes. Turn based feature must not be lost.

That's not really the way Square Collective works. If a project gets enough yes votes from the members (as Moonhunters did), then Square Enix promotes the crowd-funding campaign through their site. And possibly help with distribution (e.g., getting on Steam, etc.) That's it. They don't give the developer any money, nor are they acting as publisher, so they presumably have no creative control.

Now you may be wondering, what's in this for Square? If they promote a project, SE takes 5% of the total amount raised in the crowd-funding campaign, plus 10% of the game's eventual revenue… I'm still not sure how I feel about SE taking money from the Kickstarter itself… Yes, they're no doubt going to dramatically increase the campaign's exposure so it's ultimately a big gain for the developer, but at the same time, people are giving their money to fund the development of an indie game, not give a huge publisher more money. It makes sense for them to get a percentage of the final revenue, but taking money from the backers doesn't sit right with me.

This won't prevent me from backing Outland 17, (5% of whatever I can afford to pledge won't amount to much anyway), but it's something people should aware of- that Square Enix incidentally makes no mention of on their site. Of course, Kickstarter / Indiegogo take a percentage as well, but that's arguably fair because they do have to pay staff, hosting fees, etc. after all.

Don't worry the game will be turn based no matter what! Thank you Daveyd for explaining how the Collective works, you are 100% correct.

Right now we are doing our best to spread the word. If you know anyone who is a fan of these kinds of games, send them the link. I think they will like what they see and every vote gets us closer to a solid kickstarter.

All these comments are great! Thank you so much for your support.

Back
Top Bottom