WARNING Do Not Use Win 8.1

Apparently in the Win 8.1 upgrade it globally enabled Nvidia Stereoscopic 3d. The simple fix was to simply uncheck the box in the Nvidia control panel.
Or go out and buy a 3D monitor and glasses!

Yeah, I think the more pertinent move would be to acclimatise yourself to Linux, as this is what drives SteamOS.

Be my guest ;)

I've spent more than enough of my time with Linux and Unix back when I studied computer science at DIKU.

But I'm pretty sure you won't need any experience like that to succesfully navigate SteamOS - unless Valve have become total idiots.

Back when DOS was the only thing to compare with - or that awful Windows (pre-95) that came later, Linux was impressive with its multitasking and flexibility - but that's ancient history.

Nah, the only OS that ever really impressed me was AmigaOS - but I'm more than happy with Windows as it is.

DirectX days are numbered. It's always been used to sell the new windows but 10 and 11 still haven't caught up to 9s popularity with developers. 11.2 won't be utilised until long after win9 comes out and even then only by people M$ bribe to incorporate into their game. WinXP could very well run DX10 and DX11 if M$ so wished, but then why would gamers upgrade? Now with Gaben saying Win8 is a catastrophe and controlling the majority of PC online distribution, which is where its at, there might actually be no reason at all to ever buy a new Windows. :O

If you're into gaming on a level where you care about visuals and technology - you're not going to be satisfied with DirectX 9 today. Lots of games utilise DirectX 11 to good effect - and trying to predict the future of PC gaming in this area is not in my area of interest.

AFAIK, Battlefield 4 already uses some of the 11.2 stuff - and I'm a fan of that game. Even if only a handful of games end up taking advantage of the latest DX - that's still a good reason for me to have access to it. Because I care about games on that level.

If anything significant happens, I'll look into it. But until there's a tangible reason to move away from Windows - I'll keep using it, as would any gamer with a brain.

DirectX days are numbered. It's always been used to sell the new windows but 10 and 11 still haven't caught up to 9s popularity with developers. 11.2 won't be utilised until long after win9 comes out and even then only by people M$ bribe to incorporate into their game. WinXP could very well run DX10 and DX11 if M$ so wished, but then why would gamers upgrade? Now with Gaben saying Win8 is a catastrophe and controlling the majority of PC online distribution, which is where its at, there might actually be no reason at all to ever buy a new Windows. :O
DirectX isn't going anywhere, it's the API used by the Xbox, and most all AAA PC games nowadays are ports from Xbox anyway, or at least share a codebase. In fact, the Xbox is pretty much the reason for the phenomenon you describe where DirectX 10 and 11 haven't caught on. It's because the Xbox 360 uses DirectX 9. Once the Xbox One is out (which uses DirectX 11.2), you can be certain that DirectX 11.2 will become extremely popular for Windows games, at least the bigger budget ones.

its not a state machine either like OpenGL is, which has a fair amount of infighting.

i am also planning to move win 8.1
not many games currently playing :D

most one is dota 2

Back
Top Bottom