Skyrim Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
I'm very pessimistic about Skyrim, after Oblivion… But it's still nice to see RPGs coming out.

So, new race, Dragon Born. Hopefully the engine is different too.

Just curious - what is it that you think is so bad about the engine for Oblivion? In my mind it starts up fairly quickly, performs well, saves/loads quickly.. and is extremely open for mods. Seems like a fairly solid piece of software to me, despite the fact that I didn't like Oblivion much as a game.

Just curious - what is it that you think is so bad about the engine for Oblivion? In my mind it starts up fairly quickly, performs well, saves/loads quickly.. and is extremely open for mods. Seems like a fairly solid piece of software to me, despite the fact that I didn't like Oblivion much as a game.
Bethesda butchered Gamebryo and turned it from a good engine into an unstable mess. Civ IV used it perfectly, for example. Fallout 3 was a better use of the engine, but it still suffered from a lot of issues. If they'd tuned the engine better and worked out a lot of the bugs (And, in the case of Oblivion, the eye-burning visuals) then the games could be so, so, so much better, but as they are they're just a mess.

Oblivion and Fallout 3 have caused more issues for me than, if my memory serves me correctly, almost every other game I have put together, and I don't use vast numbers of mods (Which can upset the balance further).

Morrowind also used the Gamebryo engine, and that game was 100% problem free for me. I can't really comment on Oblivion because I haven't spent much time with it, but Fallout 3 has also been problem free for me. Only a very occasional crash, maybe once every 7-8 hours.

No, it was NetImmerse. NetImmerse became Gamebryo. It was a separate entity. It's no use linking to Emergent as they got the technology after Morrowind was released (Morrowind was 2001, right? Emergent got it in 2005). NetImmerse became Gamebryo at some point, but they're not the same. Think Unreal Engine 2 and Unreal Engine 2.5 or similar.

If you do a Google for Morrowind and NetImmerse, you'll see what I mean and it's applied to other games, too.

Different iterations of the same code heritage. I never had actual problems with them (as in : difficulties to run them or crashes), but I found Oblivon very uneven, graphically. Certainly one of the first games to offer such far and wide views. Landscapes, forests and a lot of the architecture was nicely done. At the same time it had awful issues with self shading, character faces, distance landscape textures, LOD pop-in, they had to throw out advanced shadows, etc. In that sense I had more immersion püroblems with Oblivions graphics than with the simpler MW graphics.

In Oblivion I hated the look, the uninspiring items, copy-paste dungeons without surprises, dull character generation, console dumbing down and the engine.

The story and the graphics were superior though. And mods helped too.

Gamebryo has been around since 2001, they've simply used different terms for it. It's the SAME engine. Dark Age of Camelot used it prior to Morrowind. Again, it's on the official website. Morrowind was 2002 btw.

Gamebryo has been around since 2001, they've simply used different terms for it. It's the SAME engine. Dark Age of Camelot used it prior to Morrowind. Again, it's on the official website. Morrowind was 2002 btw.
Morrowind's engine license was from 1999, as can be evidenced from the Morrowind user manuals and the link you keep giving.

Perhaps you want another source for it using NetImmerse?

It's similar, but it's not the same. Gamebryo is the next version up, if you like, with very similar structure but it is not the same.

Do you understand that it's a modification of the same engine?

Or perhaps you would like to email Emergent, and tell them that they should take Morrowind off their list of game that was made using the engine they created? ;)

*Edit* It was actually a company called "NDL" that started it, and later merged with Emergent.

Last edited:
Except Emergent couldn't have created it in 1999 (When Bethesda licensed NetImmerse) because they bought NDL in 2005 and acquired the technology.

Gamebryo didn't exist when Morrowind was in development. There's no references to it in the manuals, or on the box, it simply says "Parts of this software licensed from NDL". Yes, the technology is now called Gamebryo, but not back then. Oh, and one file type Morrowind uses is .nif - Do you not think it could easily stand for "NetImmerse File", perhaps? Oh, yeah, someone suggested that years ago (Scroll to the bottom).

Morrowind was not built on Gamebryo as Gamebryo wasn't around; the engine was NetImmerse and Gamebryo is the successor. There are *so* many sources and pieces of evidence out there to support my claim. I'm not denying the link between NetImmerse and Gamebryo, I'm saying that Morrowind wasn't built on what we call Gamebryo as Gamebryo didn't exist then.

You claimed Gamebryo has existed 2001, yet the link you like to provide clearly states Bethesda licensed the technology in 1999, and that very license is the one referenced in the Morrowind manuals, so clearly it has to be referring to NetImmerse. Not to mention there's no way that Morrowind could have been created in a year, including the fairly in-depth TES Construction Set.

Except Emergent couldn't have created it in 1999 (When Bethesda licensed NetImmerse) because they bought NDL in 2005 and acquired the technology.

That's correct, as I already stated, it was started by NDL, who later merged with Emergent.

Yes, the technology is now called Gamebryo, but not back then. .

That's pretty much what I've been trying to explain.

Morrowind was not built on Gamebryo as Gamebryo wasn't around; the engine was NetImmerse and Gamebryo is the successor.

It was around, it was being called NetImmerse back then. They simply changed the name of an engine that's been modified, but it's still the same base engine. Which is why Morrowind is listed as a Gamebryo game by Emergent.

In retrospect, you are not incorrect for saying Morrowind used NetImmerse, but it's also not incorrect to say it used Gamebryo.

Whew… these semantics have tired me out. ;)

I find it humerous that I have to put in a birth date to watch an Elder Scrolls trailer.

Almost every site seems to have such a thing, nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom