StarCrawlers - A New SciFi Dungeon Crawl RPG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I received news today of a new Indie RPG called Star Crawlers being developed by a studio called Juggernaut Games. Here is a little information on the developer.

Our talented team of artists, programmers, and animators has a combined 20+ years experience working in the game industry. We've recently been lucky enough to start work on our first independant game title, StarCrawlers. Being a part of a project like this has long been a dream of every member of the Juggernaut team and we're excited to share StarCrawlers with the community!
Their game is desribed as the following.

StarCrawlers is an endless first-person RPG adventure with procedurally generated levels, enemies, events, and of course, loot! If you’re a fan of classic dungeon crawls like Ultima Underworld and building a team of shady characters ala Shadowrun, we’ll hope you’ll feel right at home in StarCrawlers
I also have a video to go along with the news-bit.

More information.

I'm not a fan of dungeon crawlers, but SciFi setting here is interesting? Has this been done before?

Wasn't there a very similar game trying to get funding with Kickstarter a few months ago (but didn't make it)? A sci-fi blobber taking place in a big "starship dungeon." A-ha, yes: Space Shock. They seem to have changed the concept a bit, it's no longer a first-person blobber, but has a third-person view now.

Anyways, I'm always interested in sci-fi RPGs and will keep my eyes on StarCrawlers for sure, but am more than a bit unsure how well blobber-style combat will work outside swords and sorcery.

Wasn't there a very similar game trying to get funding with Kickstarter a few months ago (but didn't make it)? A sci-fi blobber taking place in a big "starship dungeon." A-ha, yes: Space Shock. They seem to have changed the concept a bit, it's no longer a first-person blobber, but has a third-person view now.
After the failed kickstarter it looks like Space Shock is dead.:sniff:
The future of Space Shock

Unfortunately the project won't be funded here and this will slow development down. Maybe we will need to find new jobs, me included, because we need to pay the bills and our children need to eat. Maybe not, who knows.

At this time the team is working on playable build and we will try to find an alternative way to have the project funded so we will be able to work on Space Shock daily.

We still have our Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/SpaceShockGame?ref=hl

We hope this is not over but next time we meet it won't be on Kickstarter's ground. Thanks again for your support and thanks for believing in us.
The website is gone, and the developers haven't updated Steam in a while either. It's a shame as the concept, and early video showed promise.

I'll keep my eyes on this game also. It seems a lot of new games with promise keep popping up this month. My wallet is going to hate me.:sweatdrop:

I also have some new information from a press release.
San Diego, CA - January 24, 2014 – Independent game studio Juggernaut Games announces their first title – StarCrawlers, a sci-fi dungeon-crawling RPG. Run a crew of talented fixers taking shady jobs on the fringes of space where your choices dynamically change the way you explore the environment, fight your foes, resolve encounters, and how your story ultimately unfolds.
Description:

Whatever their particular skillset - be it hacking, smuggling or advanced ass-kicking - StarCrawlers are individuals who specialize in taking jobs others won't. Your team will venture into procedurally-generated environments full of lethal enemies, unexpected events, and deadly traps. Conspiracy is afoot, and you may stumble upon valuable information - how you choose to use it is up to you.

As you progress through the dungeon, you’ll face tougher and tougher enemies and be tested against elite bosses, requiring you to make strategic decisions about your team build, their combat specialization and their gear. Team build will also have an impact on what you can do while exploring, with each character class bringing their own specialized skills to bear to help you avoid obstacles, deal with NPCs, and navigate hazards more effectively.

Features:

• Soundtrack by Ben Prunty
  • Classic first person dungeon crawling exploration
  • Procedurally generated environments with random encounters, traps, and enemies
  • Deep character customization with abilities that can be modded and changed
  • Randomly generated and upgradeable loot
  • PC, Mac, and Linux support
Look out for our Kickstarter campaign coming soon!

Looks promising

Look out for our Kickstarter campaign coming soon!
I'm kind of getting sick of those. Especially since so many of them just cancel the whole game if they can't hit funding.

I'm kind of getting sick of those. Especially since so many of them just cancel the whole game if they can't hit funding.

It's called real life you have to eat and pay bills. Also half of those games have no choice as their not rich, or have an investor to fund early development.

Ask yourself this would you work for free?^^

Last edited:
Some new gifs

Hi all,

Elena from Juggernaut Games here! I noticed the thread and wanted to say hello and offer to answer any questions. I also thought I'd share some new gifs we put together today, to give you another look at combat and explore mode in StarCrawlers!

explore02.gif

voidstorm2.gif

Let us know what you think!

Back
Top Bottom