Starpoint Gemini 2 - coming out today

Brandenburg

Watcher
So the day has come, Starpoint Gemini 2 is finished and ready for todays release.

Called by many players "a spiritual successor to Freelancer", Starpoint Gemini II is an action space-sim combined with diverse RPG elements.

Control various space ships, ranging from small and agile gunships to lumbering, but deadly carriers. Explore, trade, and research in a star system no longer hindered by loading points. The entire Gemini star system is now one giant area thanks to the implemented streaming technology. Gain experience and upgrade your skills to change the tide of even the fiercest space battles.

Choose your side…

http://store.steampowered.com/app/236150/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHr9tqOYvN4

Already bought it, will be playing at some point probably soon…..but Divinity has me firmly in its' grasp at the moment.
I think it'd be a good idea to stick with that.

I've only barely started but the story has me worried. The bugs have me worried, too. They're getting a patch ready to take care of the problem where you main quest questmarker vanishes on you if you quit and restart. I think I'll wait for the hot fixes to calm down before playing.

It's still way too early to judge but I've moved into "cautiously pessimistic" mode now.

No worries, I don't think I could stop Original Sin now, even if I tried. I just had a fight in the snow with something called a Guardian, and I swear it was a 30 minute fight. Thank goodness I made a real tank, my mages could barely touch the thing.

A pity, some of those touch-ranged spells really pack a whallup!

Well, the story isn't as bad as I was thinking in the beginning but it's still pretty weak. I'm not terribly far into it but I'll be shocked if the story gets good at all.

Enemy AI seems ultra-weak. Oh hard difficulty I just blew up a Bishop Battleship with my starting gunship and I really haven't upgraded it all that much. I just flew by it, turned around, slowed down, and sat behind it as it slowly tried to move and turn. It's side mounted light turrets were shooting at me but the side and rear heavy weapons did nothing. The ship has 4 times the number of troopers I've got, too, but they just sat on their ship until I chipped away all its hull. There was no sign of any fighter wings, either. The devs have said that more advanced AI is in the works but not ready to be released yet.

Sidequests are also not in the game yet - to be released soon.

Still, the basics of the game are quite good. The music is well done and the graphics are pretty nice. Earning money can be fairly fun. For all my griping, I'm still having fun in there.

What's the deal lately with so games being released before they're finished?

Anyone play the first game? How was that?
I can't recommend the first game as it was never properly patched.

The Metacritic Score for Starpoint Gemini says it all at a low 46.

As for finishing the game the sequel has been on Early Access for over two years getting patched. Personally I'm getting tired of half finished releases on Steam also.

Last edited:
I bought this a while ago, and it seemed to be ok. Haven't really checked it out since. Not sure why I bought it, because it doesn't seem to have much of a story - so I probably won't play it.

Does it have multiplayer?

No multiplayer.

Things What's Need Patching

1. They're finding bugs in the main campaign and patching them on a daily basis. (The main campaign was NOT part of the Early Access.)

2. Sidequests are AWOL.

3. Enemy combat AI is really weak. They're working on more advanced AI but its only around half done. This one scares me a bit because, if these things start using their troops and start flying smart, it's going to play hell with the balance.

4. We're supposed to be able to see rifts, which act as quick (and free) ways to get from A to B, on the map but that's currently broken. I actually kinda like that this feature is missing because it makes the rifts a lot more exciting when you don't know exactly where it will take you!

I should say again, though, that I *am* having fun despite the problems. Finding ways to make money is fun. Finding ships that fit your play style is fun. The battles, despite the weak AI, are fun (what they lack in brains they make up for with sheer firepower). The exploration is really fun, too. This is a BIG place!

A lot of folks seem to be getting creamed when it comes to buying ships. They just assume that getting a bigger ship means it will be better than the smaller ship at pretty much everything.

I should say again, though, that I *am* having fun despite the problems. Finding ways to make money is fun. Finding ships that fit your play style is fun. The battles, despite the weak AI, are fun (what they lack in brains they make up for with sheer firepower). The exploration is really fun, too. This is a BIG place!

I'm assuming it's a big improvement over SPG 1 then? I tried the demo for that game today and was less than impressed.

I only played the first game close to release. It was in a pretty bad way at the time and I never came back after maybe a dozen hours of play.

Yea, the dev team is doing the patches all the time and thats realy a good thing. Hope the new one will make the game more stabilsed.

But its a fun game, enjoying it

SG2 has some DLC now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/345870/

New features (direct from the store page):
  • Find out what the NeoPhysics scientists were up to in the Aethera nebula, in a completely new series of storyline quests, complete with voiceover.
  • Modify a brand new special weapon system to best suit your destructive needs
  • Outfit several new ships, available on Kepler Station, deep inside Aethera
  • A new freelance mission is triggered by the Aethera experiments
  • Gemini faces a new random global event: Ghost incursions
  • Numerous new side missions are available to solve and to reap rewards
  • New targets for Bounty Hunters beg to be hunted down
There have been a lot of big patches put out, too. I expect the game is well worth playing now!

I started it, but the save-system put me off instantly. I can only play for short stints, and having to fly to a port to save is just too tedious.

Which is a bummer, really. :(

Back
Top Bottom