Good Old Games - Announces Gothic 2 Gold and Spellforce Platinum

I liked Spellforce until I got to this one part where there was a maze and I had no clue what I was supposed to do to get through it as their information on quests is almost useless. Also while a few of the scenarios were really well done others were quite poor.
Mulandir, the map in which you were basically dead as soon as one of the guardians notices you?

Strange. I liked SF1 a lot more than 2. I loved the great RTS with building huge bases and mine 4-5? resources in one mission, and in the next it was the questing with my party which kept me hooked. Some missions could even be solved both ways.

SF2 was a totally watered down experience for me.

I hope they get SF2 at some point - I missed the expansion not coming to the US.

it finally did in the form of spellforce universe which i picked up just for it. then of course the bloody thing wouldn't run!

spellforce 2 was good and Gorath sums them up perfectly. i loved the first game-music, large focus on base building, quests, etc. i came close to finishing the first expansion but barely even scratched the 2nd expansion. finished spellforce 2 however which is much more accessible in my view for the non-rts type players.

almost bought that "universe" edition just for the expansion, it's supposed to be pretty good.... if you can get it to run!

It's available for download online at full price. I'll wait til someone runs a weekend madness download sale on it or something

I guess I missed the Universe edition ... hopefully it will get a bargain price at some point.

Be careful not to buy one the Aspyr SpellForce 2 units still circulating in the channel. Some of them are missing the s/n. You won't get a replacement.

What's "s/n" ?

I enjoyed Gothic 2 a lot, but when the expansion was out I lived in the US where AFAIK it wasn't released. Is the Night of the Raven good? how may hours? thanks.

I enjoyed Gothic 2 a lot, but when the expansion was out I lived in the US where AFAIK it wasn't released. Is the Night of the Raven good? how may hours? thanks.
It was released in NA a couple of years ago as part of G2 Gold.

NotR does to G2 what the LotR Ext. Editions did to the cinema versions. And then adds another 20 hour new world which is even more beautiful. It's a hot contender for the best single player add-on ever. The only real drawback is that it's a hard game, even compared to the other Gothics.

So the Universe Edition includes the expansions for both titles then...right?

Yes - but from what I read it is like two disks stuffed in a box and charged 'collector's edition' pricing ...

It is huge, and I love how it wraps itself up in the main game. Makes it super-hard, but well worth the effort. As was said, it is definitely in the top 2 or 3 expansions ever. (I'd put it top '1', myself)

it is indeed 2 discs stuffed in a box, but for 5 games the price is worth it.

notr was great though it would have been nicer had i not played gothic 2 a number of times in the 2 years it took to get an english release. i only played through it once so its possible i'll give it a go down the road but probably unlikely. also i don't really consider it an expansion, as its a relatively small amount of stuff added compared to the original, though the quality of what is added is exceptional. an 'addon' is what i think of it as and i believe what it was officially reffered to as. not dissimmilar to bring down the sky, or the enhanched edition of the witcher (adventures included) which while much smaller in scope are more night of the raven's kin than a true expansion. both of those while weaker were also free and didn't take 2 years to be released, though have recieved insults by gamers instead of adoration like night of the raven. to me to be an expansion the game must at least have 1/3 the content of the orginal and night of the raven in my view doesn't meet that.

of course my rambling is mostly irrelevant except i should point out that why most gothic fans' bitterness is directed at gothic 3, mine is towards the vaporware release of night of the raven. just imagine if pirahna bytes had been given 2 years to fix gothic 3 in the form of an addon...the world would be a different place.

jowood i wipe my ass to you.

woah! curious uncut and uncensored! = ]

Arent you the person who had the bad experience w/ the spellforce universe set?

I really wanted that one, but all the bad press and firsthand accounts of users not being able to play the games within scared me away for now. I'd pay ten bucks and roll the dice on it, but not 30, which is what im seein it locally for now.

Just the amazon users experiences seem a bit foreboding!

notr was great though it would have been nicer had i not played gothic 2 a number of times in the 2 years it took to get an english release. i only played through it once so its possible i'll give it a go down the road but probably unlikely. also i don't really consider it an expansion, as its a relatively small amount of stuff added compared to the original, though the quality of what is added is exceptional. an 'addon' is what i think of it as and i believe what it was officially reffered to as. not dissimmilar to bring down the sky, or the enhanched edition of the witcher (adventures included) which while much smaller in scope are more night of the raven's kin than a true expansion. both of those while weaker were also free and didn't take 2 years to be released, though have recieved insults by gamers instead of adoration like night of the raven. to me to be an expansion the game must at least have 1/3 the content of the orginal and night of the raven in my view doesn't meet that.
NotR adds more than 1/3 new content. The new world alone is easily 20 hours. Plus the new quests and hundreds of details in the main world.

Last edited:
i guess you must not be counting the 'old world' of gothic 2 as part of its content as i'm pretty sure a game of gothic 2 took well over 80 hours for me, but again i'm not trying to argue and whether its an expansion or addon i still loved it--just less than gothic 3;)

yes sammy it was indeed me. i'll try to load it up again this weekend and report back. although i have the same rig i've configured things a bit differently and no longer have norton so maybe that was somehow the issue.

Back
Top Bottom