Geneforge/Avernum - best for me?

I don't think any of them have puzzles. As for which is better, they are both good games with strengths and weaknesses. If you play Geneforge 1 though, I don't think you necesarily need to play any of the sequels. They are pretty much all the same game.

I was a huge fan of Avernum 5, I felt that was the best recent spiderweb game by far. Avernum 6 was also good. I did not enjoy Avernum 4 at all though, and that one might be best skipped.

There might be the occasional minor puzzle to figure out with switches, and a few bosses where beating them requires some minor puzzle/problem solving. But they are mostly just classic style RPGs with lots of exploration, character building, challenging fights, and sometimes a decent story.

Ah okay thanks fadedc..shame about the puzzles…i have Avernum 4,5,6 and Geneforge 1,2,3,4,5.
Might postpone playing them for a while then.

Honestly I don't think you are getting very good advice. Did you see my Geneforge 3 thread? If you only plan on playing one of them, start with that. As far as puzzles there are several challenges that play to certain strengths, which is a puzzle. For example, (without spoilers), there might be a room with a boss and some other potent enemies that can be disabled if you are clever instead of simply charging in. Minefields. Spawners. Pilons. Poison fields. Enemies with unique characteristics that are themselves a puzzle. There are tons of them especially in the later games such as 3, 4 and 5.

Geneforge 1 has factions but is otherwise a pretty crude example of where the series ends up developing to. Stories, creative areas including puzzles, crafting, enchantment etc.

Well I didn't really give any advice on which geneforge to start with. It's probably fine to start with 3 if you play that series, as I said, they are mostly all the same game either way (though 4 and 5 do change things up very slightly). As for puzzles, I already stated that they are some fights that require a little strategy and problem solving, and a few areas where you have to switches in a certain order. I wouldn't really call a fight that requires strategy a puzzle (or else almost every non twitch RPG would be a puzzle game), but I guess there isn't really an official definition.

Honestly I don't think you are getting very good advice. Did you see my Geneforge 3 thread? If you only plan on playing one of them, start with that. As far as puzzles there are several challenges that play to certain strengths, which is a puzzle. For example, (without spoilers), there might be a room with a boss and some other potent enemies that can be disabled if you are clever instead of simply charging in. Minefields. Spawners. Pilons. Poison fields. Enemies with unique characteristics that are themselves a puzzle. There are tons of them especially in the later games such as 3, 4 and 5.

Geneforge 1 has factions but is otherwise a pretty crude example of where the series ends up developing to. Stories, creative areas including puzzles, crafting, enchantment etc.

Its splitting hairs on the definition of "puzzle" and I agree they are mostly "combat" puzzles. Although there are a few, including the closing moments of GF3 that are non - combat in nature. You did say GF1, so I was simply saying the creativity in the gameplay (aka uniqueness of each area) is quite different in the later sequels such that GF1 seems pretty crude in comparison. If you are going to play one and only Geneforge, I wouldn't start with 1 or 2.

Perhaps I'm just a blubbering fanboi for the series. I've been playing the snot out of them for the last few years.

I would definitely never start with GF 2, I remember that one being a bit of a mess. GF 1 was my favorite, but my reason for that was probably just because the story and the world were new then. It really was something new when you encountered an intelligent servile, or found a mysterious crystal canister, or heard about the resistance. So it probably wasn't a better game, it's just that when you read the same story 5 times, your almost always going to enjoy it more when it's new.

Play the games yourself. I would not start with Geneforge 1(or 2) if you are looking for the best GF game but it(GF 1) is a good game in itself and helps you to appreciate the improvements made in the more recent sequels (I believe the UI is better in GF 5 IIRC…Peacedog could clarify if he is around).

For Avernum (I prefer the Exile versions myself. Exile 3 and Blades of Exile specifically) I would suggest starting with Avernum 3, skipping 4 and then playing 5 and 6. 1 and 2 were, for me kind of boring (and I hate being forced to play humans for every party member, plus the lack of above ground/wilderness to explore puts me off. Only so much grey dungeon catacomb one can take).

Back
Top Bottom