GOG - Interview @ Eurogamer

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Eurogamer interviewed Marcin Iwinski the co-founder of CD Projekt about whether GOG would be open to selling Early Acces Games. Here is a sample of his answers.

Early Access releases are becoming more and more common - almost routine - but that's not necessarily a good thing. "Scam" release Earth: Year 2066 was hauled off Steam for misleading customers and taking their money. And while that's an extreme case - and there are also many good Early Access games - there are enough milder examples of developers not quite delivering what fans who paid them believed they would, to make Early Access a concern.

It's against that backdrop that I raised the topic with Marcin Iwinski, co-founder of CD Projekt, the company that established and owns popular retro-game download shop GOG. He's considering Early Access, he said, but there are a couple of things GOG would have to change first.

"We're obviously looking at it," he begun. "As you know our concept is different; first of all it's DRM-free and second it's curated. I'm often very lost in a lot of stores - apps being my example today. Or even Steam. I don't know what's happening; there's hundreds of releases a month, and I really believe - and our community's clearly showing that - there is a place for a platform which is choosing the stuff.

"With the approach that Steam has they decided not to, and it's fine, it works extremely well for them and some developers, but it has threats like the one of bad Early Access games. And it's tempting, it's really tempting: you're a developer and you can get to Early Access and charge 40-whatever for your game, for your non-working alpha. And they're pocketing immediately.

"We would definitely consider it," he said, "but again it would be the GOG way. It would have to be curated and, we believe - we are always saying this very openly - we are responsible in front of the gamer for what they're buying on GOG."
More information.

I say this as a non-early access player (though I have bought 3 games early access, with only MM10 being finished), I do hope GOG goes the early access route. It seems like they've got the whole philosophy of doing it correctly. I think early access is great for dedicated developers, provided they make it clear what they are selling. It offers small teams testers (and there seem to be enough people who want to test out unfinished games) and in my opinion can prevent some easily fixable problems from entering into a finished project. That having been said, its also really important to make sure that developers have something promising to offer.

Back
Top Bottom