Arcania - Demo, Release Window & Other Tidbits

what's the definition of "a Gothic game"? And what have you seen in that vid that makes you think they may not have understood the essentials?

It's hard to put down in words, but there is a very distinct feeling and atmosphere to the Gothic games. The world and character progression system tries to be semi-realistic, with you having to pay for training and find trainers in the world that can and are willing to help you.

I'm not against streamlining games (quite the contrary) but a Gothic game should still have some of these "hard core" elements in my opinion. It's about finding a way to survive in a rough world.

Regarding the video - if you listen to what the guy say, he is asked directly what players that are fans of the older Gothics can expect - and he has a hard time answering that. He only talks about streamlined controls and the new stuff they've added (optionally) like question/exclamation markers over NPSs and quest markers/compass. And then he mentions that certain key characters from the old Gothics make an appearance. That alone does not make it a "real" Gothic game IMO.

Oh well at least we'll play the demo before completely writing this game off.

The interface is still WIP. The previewer seemed quite surprised that the gameplay they've seen so far was similar to the Gothics.

The lead platform stuff is probably BS. Some marketing guy decided it's a good idea to tell a certain media outlet that the XBox is leading. I bet when GameStar asks the PC is leading.

As one of the few console-only gamers here, I have to say I'm happy to hear the 360 is the lead platform (I'm assuming it's true and he's not just blowing smoke, but who knows). I'm struggling through the Risen port right now. Well, not "struggling," but I'm not relishing the graphical downgrades, the awkward controls, and the tiny print in the menus.

And like someone said above, I'm surprised by the Q3 announcement. I thought they would land in late 2011, the way things were sounding.

I'm surprised by the Q3 announcement.
I'm not - JooWooD is the publisher. I wouldn't say they've a habit of releasing half-finished games. I'd say they have a compulsion.

I may opt for the XBox version myself. If it isn't broken. Big IF …

Anderson said:
I'm surprised by the Q3 announcement.
I'm not - JooWooD is the publisher. I wouldn't say they've a habit of releasing half-finished games. I'd say they have a compulsion.

I may opt for the XBox version myself. If it isn't broken. Big IF …

*LOL*
Those two really made my day.:cool:
Thanks, Cassius!:thumbsup:

Now, if only my FC Bayern Munich survives the Champions League semifinal rematch in Lyon (despite quite some important players injured or sitting through a match penalty), this will be my happiest! :]

Ragon, the Soccer Mage
;)

what's the definition of "a Gothic game"? And what have you seen in that vid that makes you think they may not have understood the essentials?

I share the same feeling as KasperFauerby. Let me first acknowledge we have seen very little and I do have some respect for Spellbound.

Still, this seems to lack Gothic's stylised characters, doesn't offer a seamless world and closes off old areas (as best I can understand), has quest markers and mini-maps and the combat looks very hack'n'slashy (like, say, Two Worlds or Divinity II). Gothic presents a very realistic and logical world - it's unforgiving but they provide tools if you pay attention. You don't have a minimap - but you have logical roads, signs and clear landmarks to find your way. You can easily get in trouble - but you are encouraged to run for your life as needed.

Changing these things will alter the fundamentals of Gothic.

I can certainly understand the publisher believing these things are incompatible with a modern audience - I might even agree if I were paying the bills - but it isn't very Gothic.

As an example: if I were to make a Demon's Souls with an easy mode and no death, it just wouldn't be Demon's Souls. It might well be an enjoyable game, but not the same.

since the X360 is the lead platform, the controls have been carefully designed for console use.

Maybe they just use this platform, because there are much less pirated copies on that platform ?

Which could imply that JoWood needs money ?

But they do it all of the time, don't they ?

One thing I really liked it was they thought of all type of players, for instance: you can disable the quest marker and minimap, and change de color palette(usa,Europe), In this way they could preserve some of the gothic essentials.
The soundtrack is very similar to gothic 3, so i think is good. still i like to know more about the gameplay and longevity.

At this point folks should be *thankful* there is a 360 counterpart. It means a real budget and almost guaranteed clean code. I played Risen clean through without a patch... Imagine that! I don't think we can call all these games "dumbed down" for the console like the old days. The font might be big and the interface might show obvious signs but who cares? Give me GAMEPLAY and I'll count the pretty production values as a bonus :)

Back
Top Bottom